Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Air-cooled 911 tuner from Wisconsin....nice cars so far, wonder if he'll do a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
As copied from Jalopnik

“I want a guy to go out and feel like he’s wringing the car’s neck, and to do that without ever having to dip his toes into asshole levels of speed,” White said. Call it the perfected form of “slow car fast” syndrome, but in a world of extreme factory performance that can’t be accessed on the street and only barely so on a track, Accumoto’s goal was pure enjoyment.

Just that line alone makes me want to meet the guy and have him build a car!

Air-cooled 911 tuner, sorta affordable compared to a Singer? hahaha

When will a 914 tuner/builder shop start cranking out serialized custom 914 builds?
mepstein
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 3 2015, 06:51 PM) *

As copied from Jalopnik

“I want a guy to go out and feel like he’s wringing the car’s neck, and to do that without ever having to dip his toes into asshole levels of speed,” White said. Call it the perfected form of “slow car fast” syndrome, but in a world of extreme factory performance that can’t be accessed on the street and only barely so on a track, Accumoto’s goal was pure enjoyment.

Just that line alone makes me want to meet the guy and have him build a car!

Air-cooled 911 tuner, sorta affordable compared to a Singer? hahaha

When will a 914 tuner/builder shop start cranking out serialized custom 914 builds?

I'm doing an all out 914 build at my shop. But chances of it selling for what it should are really slim. We have a 2 year waiting list for 911 builds that are all over $100k but how many 914's do you think we can sell at that price. Engine, bodywork and paint are the same for a 914-6 as a 911 but the buyer pool is so much smaller.
mepstein
This is one of our builds that just came back for an update. 71T with a 3.6. 2300 lbs. Owner ordered up a couple more builds.

What we need is a scotty b
vintage914racer
I see their builds at Road America pretty regularly. Very nice cars. I'll try to dig up some pictures. Their pit bikes are also really cool.

You can see me chasing one of their race cars around in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Phln5sgb4
GregAmy
I can't say enough about Mark White. Personal friend, excellent driver, very detailed.

And he's the one that sealed the deal for me on our cars; I'd had him casually looking for a 911 for me a few years ago. When I came upon my street 914 asked him if I should get into one, without hesitation his response was "hell yeah, they're great cars". So I did. and now I have two... wink.gif

GA
Kansas 914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 3 2015, 05:22 PM) *

Engine, bodywork and paint are the same for a 914-6 as a 911 but the buyer pool is so much smaller.

Having driven both it is a shame that drivers don't appreciate a 914/6 for what it is. The engine is in the right place and with comparable power is a much better drive that's 911s which frankly, in my opinion, are a bad design with brilliant engineering.

Real race cars are mid-engined.... biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
agree.gif

I do own a 911 though slap.gif
914work
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 3 2015, 07:33 PM) *

agree.gif

I do own a 911 though slap.gif

but does it run ... hide.gif
ChrisFoley
Admins: This thread is not off topic. Please move to the correct forum.
GregAmy
^^^ lol

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 3 2015, 09:25 PM) *
Having driven both it is a shame that drivers don't appreciate a 914/6 for what it is. The engine is in the right place and with comparable power is a much better drive that's 911s which frankly, in my opinion, are a bad design with brilliant engineering.

Can't remember who it was that told me this - may have been Mark? - but he mentioned it was sad that enthusiasts got so hung up on the rear-engined 911 that Porsche never continued development the 914 like they did with the 911.

"Just think", he said, "what the car could be like today? It would be a fantastic package...and we could call it the Cayman".

drunk.gif
mepstein
911 has always been and continues to be the flagship car.
Remember, 914-6's were a difficult sell back in the day.
stownsen914
Same Mark White that races a small bore turbocharged 911 in PCA club racing? Fast car ...

Couldn't find a picture, but here's a video of him driving at Road America a few years ago.

https://vimeo.com/29219114
thieuster
As you already know (perhaps), I'm living in The Netherlands and have a financial interest in a classic car workshop - all my classics are restored and/or maintained at the shop.

I'm confident that we can make an 911 owner (or 914 owner) happy with a car like the one shown in the OP. Quality, looks, you name it. And I'm also sure that we can stay way, way under the $ 595K mark of the Singer car.

Before:
IPB Image

After:
IPB Image

My TR3A:
IPB Image

So, just come over with your tired 911 or other classic - we will make you happy piratenanner.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Nov 4 2015, 12:38 PM) *

Same Mark White that races a small bore turbocharged 911 in PCA club racing? Fast car ...

Same Mark White. Also seen in IMSA Lights and Koni Challenge Grand Am with APR back in '08 (that's where we met; I was doing data acq/coaching with APR) and Freedom Autosport in '09.

http://www.gomarkwhite.com/
http://www.gomarkwhite.com/index.cfm?template=biography
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.