Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: People selling 914 VIN numbers/plates on EBAY...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
IIRC it's illegal in CA & most states. confused24.gif

Maybe one of our member cops or DMV employees can weigh in?

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
matthepcat
That's gotta be breaking some law
mepstein
It's done/been done, all the time with every car ever made.
I doubt it's illegal to buy or sell.
JeffBowlsby
Its not even a complete set...sheesh...
Andyrew
And its a 76 no less!
KELTY360
SirAndy alert...it is not in the database. It would be the second earliest '76 listed.

Obviously DOA.
7TPorsh
Federal offense, no?
championgt1
$500.00 Buy it now! wacko.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 4 2015, 09:05 AM) *

agree.gif

The trouble comes when you register the car I would think - if caught.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 4 2015, 08:35 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 4 2015, 09:05 AM) *

agree.gif

The trouble comes when you register the car I would think - if caught.

+1
whitetwinturbo
The party starts when you attach to your sled and the DMV says that VIN is in stolen car database poke.gif
SirAndy
Did anyone actually get the VIN?
confused24.gif

The Ad has been removed ...
dry.gif
7TPorsh
4762900118 ...not in our dbase
SirAndy
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Nov 4 2015, 10:52 AM) *

Thank you Sir! Added to the database ...
beerchug.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 4 2015, 10:54 AM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Nov 4 2015, 10:52 AM) *

Thank you Sir! Added to the database ...
beerchug.gif

I thought it was 4762900018
SirAndy
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 4 2015, 10:59 AM) *

Seriously? Nobody bothered to write this down? Y'all know that eBay Ads don't stay around forever, right?
headbang.gif
jd74914
The first 118 VIN was correct. sunglasses.gif

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Vin
Lennies914
The link still works. In fine print it says "see original listing"
4762900118 is correct. beerchug.gif

Too slow
KELTY360
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 4 2015, 11:30 AM) *

The first 118 VIN was correct. sunglasses.gif

Click to view attachment

My bad....I blame it on being old and blind...can't tell a '1' from a '0'.....good thing I'm not a computer programmer.
SirAndy
More ...

pdlightning
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Nov 4 2015, 12:34 PM) *

Too slow

In California, CHP is the only agency authorized to Re-vin vehicles. They blue tag vehicles when doing so.
EdwardBlume
Unbelievable.
Garland
What is the small plate? 352-9024 have not seen it before, is this only in late cars?
And what is it mounted to? Is this in place of the stamped number in the trunk?
thieuster
Well... it's not allowed on cars that are imported into Europe... Messing with the VIN is considered a crime. As in: smuggling a stolen car into the country. And the buyer has to prove that the car wasn't stolen - at any time in its history. With old cars, that's virtually impossible!

Overhere in Holland, Dutch DMV is always willing to help a classic car owner: with advise, safety checks etc. But do not try to bring them a car with obvious signs of a 'touched' VIN. Point is, it is mandatory that you need to go to a DMV test station before you can put a Dutch license plate on an imported classic car.

I've seen a Jaguar E Type body taken away to the shredder by the authorities... And besides that, the owner has to pay a hefty fee.

Menno
gms
I sent him a message that the sale of a VIN is illegal in most States.
probably took my advise and pulled them down
gms
what seem like common sense to us is not always known to everyone
BIGKAT_83
That car was only one number off from my car 4762900117

unsure.gif Bob
Mark Henry
Does the registry here tell you if the car has been scrapped, etc?
Allow you to add a note?

If it does I'd make note of this "incident".
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 4 2015, 03:55 PM) *
Does the registry here tell you if the car has been scrapped, etc?
Allow you to add a note?
If it does I'd make note of this "incident".

Yes, yes and yes ...
Steve
Too funny that it's a 76 vin. They most likely swapped the vin on the car to an earlier vin/year, so it would be smog exempt.
Unobtanium-inc
You can sell VIN plates? I'M RICH!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding, I don't sell mine, even though guys always want the Speedster ones.
rick 918-S
Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 4 2015, 08:15 PM) *

Just kidding, I don't sell mine, even though guys always want the Speedster ones.

No, you are Adam, I am Rich
Blue6
QUOTE(pdlightning @ Nov 4 2015, 12:12 PM) *

Too slow

In California, CHP is the only agency authorized to Re-vin vehicles. They blue tag vehicles when doing so.

That is correct, only CHP can issue a re-vin. The DMV does actively investigate vin switches, especially on older cars such as ours. In Ca we had a once famous hot rod builder, Boyd Coddington, who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Not only did they shut him down, but they went after his customers. His customers were heavily fined, their car were revalued and taxed, and several testified against Coddington....
Bull$hit, cause all parties involved knew what was happening...
Google a recent story in which the L A county Assistant Sheriff, Michael Rothans, was caught driving a 2012 Audi that was a vin switch. He bought it from a tow yard. He was forced to resign...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Nov 4 2015, 09:36 PM) *

QUOTE(pdlightning @ Nov 4 2015, 12:12 PM) *

Too slow

That is correct, only CHP can issue a re-vin. The DMV does actively investigate vin switches, especially on older cars such as ours. In Ca we had a once famous hot rod builder, Boyd Coddington, who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Not only did they shut him down, but they went after his customers. His customers were heavily fined, their car were revalued and taxed, and several testified against Coddington....
Bull$hit, cause all parties involved knew what was happening...
Google a recent story in which the L A county Assistant Sheriff, Michael Rothans, was caught driving a 2012 Audi that was a vin switch. He bought it from a tow yard. He was forced to resign...

Had to check that story....Yeh his story really passes the sniff test...a 2012 Audi for $3K rolleyes.gif

What a dumbass screwy.gif

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la...1008-story.html
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 4 2015, 06:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 4 2015, 08:15 PM) *

No, you are Adam, I am Rich

I'll be in MA tomorrow, I'll see about that!
SixerJ
Ok not quite a blatant a VIN tag eBay sale that started this thread, but yesterday I spotted this 914-6 VIN tag for sale on UK eBay (9141430080) which looks like what 1/4 way through the 71 production year?

There was a BIN or possibly a best offer on this item & it looks like it was sold (in hours) rather than eBay taking it down

Either way I just checked the world, Glenn Stazak's and p914-6info.net and 9141430080 does not appear

Sale description was "A chassis plate from a Porsche 914/6 which was scrapped many years ago, nice item to add to a collection of Porsche memorabilia"

I was going to add it to the DB myself, add the photos, text / list it as dead but I must be being uniquely stupid today as I could only figure out how to add it as one of my own VIN's which I do not want to do. I've PM'd SirA to get it added so hopefully this car is not 're-created' and sold to the unsuspecting

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
After an unpleasant experience with an auto theft task force in California that finally forced me to call the District Attorneys office I can assure you that screwing around with a VIN plate will land you in some deep trouble. The ONLY organization that was of ANY help to me was the California Highway Patrol. Long story. Ask me about it sometime. biggrin.gif Don't f*ck with one of these.
whitetwinturbo
Super WRONG to re-mount VIN tags..... ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 4 2015, 03:17 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 4 2015, 10:59 AM) *

Seriously? Nobody bothered to write this down? Y'all know that eBay Ads don't stay around forever, right?
headbang.gif

Here is the pic from the ad f you can read it...
larryM
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 4 2015, 08:00 AM) *

IIRC it's illegal in CA & most states. :confused:
Tom
///////

illegal in CA to remove a VIN number (plate)

- even if you have an old MG where it is just screwed on - a friend got in trouble with CHP over that on an old Morris Mini cuz he removed it to do a resto repaint (along with installing a chevy v8)

possible solution is to sell a chunk of body with attached VIN & title as a "resto project" - as this eBay'er is apparently doing

not much different than a few recent 911 & 356 rustbuckets that have gone across eBay - totally un-restorable piles of rusted junk in any sane budget scenario, - ($40K for a "numbers matching" 356 hulk recently, $10K for a burned out 911 hulk)

i once lived in a state where both VINs & engine numbers were on the title - it was legal to do a "body change" or an "engine change" under the oem VIN/engine ID - either way you had a "new car"

- it is an axiom in Mustang - Chevy circles that more "originals" are now on the road/auction-block than the factory ever made

i.e. - let the buyer take his chances if he drills out the rivets & attaches the plates to a donor body -

i know a couple 914-6 VINs that have re-appeared on non-oem bodies ('cuz i once owned the rusted hulks); and of several similar MG-Austin restos, including a Healey kit-car

goes on in every "collectible" old car venue

lots of money to be made, eh? (except on a '76 VIN 914 in CA!!)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.