Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumpers on a 75?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I think that I have read that you can take the bumpers off of a 75-76 and replace them with earlier bumpers. If that is correct, what is involved? Also, I assume that if you can put on early bumpers, you could also put on fiberglass bumpers too. Is that true as well?

riverman
I'm pretty sure I just read something about that too. I think I remember that the answer was yes, they were a direct fit but you needed the rubber 'dog-bones' from the early set-up as well.
Joe Bob
You have to drill the holes...they are there as dimples....and grind off a lip that the 75-76 bumpers have on the body and prime the area.....
Rusty
Yes, remove the bumpers and the shox. Then, trim off the tabs on the leading edge of the fenders. (Those tabs hold the rubber in place. Then, retrofit the early bumpers!

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. Longest part of the job is the body work after you cut those tabs off.
Dave_Darling
Ditto for the rears. There are lips on the rear fenders that hold the edges of the bumper cover.

On the front, there is an extended lip across the front of the trunk opening to hold the top of the bumper cover. I believe it's part of the channel that holds the front trunk seal.

You need to drill four holes to mount up each bumper. The locations should be obvious; I believe the reinforcements were still there in the later cars.

--DD
Root_Werks
Go to the 2nd page:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...t=25922&hl=root

But I warn you, I screwed up and removed the entire looooong lip. I was suppose to just cut it down leaving a small lip behind for the trunk seal to fit into. Other than what I did here, just remove the shocks, drill a couple of holes as Z said, get some early bumpers and your done.

Most of the work is removing the side tabs.
Rand
I want to put lighter fiberglass bumpers on my 75. Some of the ones I thought I might like are no longer available at Pelican. Where are some good sources?
KaptKaos
QUOTE (RandyLok @ Mar 10 2005, 11:16 AM)
I want to put lighter fiberglass bumpers on my 75. Some of the ones I thought I might like are no longer available at Pelican. Where are some good sources?

GPR has them and can get them.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (RandyLok @ Mar 10 2005, 11:16 AM)

Also, if you put FG bumpers on your 75-76', DON'T remove the looooong strip. The fiber glass bumper rests nicely just on top of it making a nice support and helps the bumper to keep its shape. Just a an FYI.
Rand
Thanks Kapt. I'll contact GPR.

Dan... thanks man, tips like this are gold - I appreciate it. I see you're in my neck of the woods... hope to catch up with you some day. Lemme know if you need an extra set of hands on an upcoming project.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (RandyLok @ Mar 10 2005, 02:34 PM)
Thanks Kapt. I'll contact GPR.

Dan... thanks man, tips like this are gold - I appreciate it. I see you're in my neck of the woods... hope to catch up with you some day. Lemme know if you need an extra set of hands on a project.

Hmm, yeah last night I just about took my foot clean off when pulling an engine from one of CAMP914's 914-6's for a oil fed tensioner update. Could've used an extra foot on that one. biggrin.gif
Rand
smilie_rolli_1.gif
Ouch. Wait, I take it back... no more offerings of body parts.

Seriously though, let me know next time you could use some help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.