Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Considering used Audi A4 Avant
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ematulac
There were other posts on this topic not too long ago, but I'm talking specifically about this car:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/car/62216346.html

I just moved and my commute when from 3.7 miles to 48.9 miles each way. I've been looking for an AWD hatchback or wagon to drive when I'm not using the 914.

I dismissed this car about a month ago because of its high mileage, but it came back and I can't get its picture out of my head.

Do you think this car will be reliable enough for a 100 mile roundtrip daily driver?
campbellcj
The A4 series are nice driving cars. The 2.8's are slugs (relatively speaking) but have solid bottom ends so I don't know if the high mileage is all that bad since it's a non-turbo car, assuming the price is appropriate,
Midtowner
Avants are cool! However...their upper links (all four) and lower control arms are weak. I believe there was a recall on these items. Check to see if this car has the recall update. Basically the ball joints at the end of the control arms have a plastic cup that tends to break. The rubber boots on the upper links tend to crack. Although this car is a V6, the four cylinder turbo's require timing belt changes every 50K to 60K despite what the 90K factory recommendation. Replacement is $1100 - they have to remove the front clip for proper access. The V6 may be a different story. Don't ask me why I know all this. barf.gif
Midtowner
One more thing...I was referring to the front suspension for Quattro vehicles.
ematulac
Thanks for the info. I am going to try and take a look at the car this weekend.
Dman
I just brought my 2000 S4 in for a recall on the front ball joints.

I my old 99 2.8 A4 was a good car and would be a great daily driver. My wife put 50,000 miles on it in 2 years.

I am a devout Audi fan but I have to admit I have used the warranties extensively on both of them, Nothing serious just stupid stuff radios, speakers,mirrors, and annoying check engine lights but I hear BMWs have the same issues.

I would think that at 150,000 the kinks would be worked out. 8000 doesn't seem bad.
Cap'n Krusty
The V6 also requires regular timing belt services. I do mine at 60K, some people wait 'til 80. Pretty easy with the right tools. The Cap'n
Kerrys914
laugh.gif Too funny

I am looking at a 1998 2.8 Quattro tomorrow 45,000 miles. Seems like a nice ride and AWD for the nasty Philly days in the winter.

I am thinking about getting a 48,000mi warranty for it but am not sure yet.

Cheers

ematulac
When it rains at the office, we sometimes get snow at home. I want to make sure I don't get stranded at work while my wife and kids are at home.

I was really hoping to find an A4 Quattro with automatic, but the automatics are few and far between. My wife can't drive stick, so if I get another car that's manual, then the 914 might have to go. sad.gif
Dman
I have an extended 3rd party warranty on my S4 but I havn't used it yet. When the Audi service rep asks if it is a certified car I just say yes and everything is coverd.

Although I have offered to buy him beers a few times. beerchug.gif

I think you would probably get your money back out of a warranty if you got one.
campbellcj
I had some warranty-covered issues as well; mainly the TBB and diverter valves (turbo issues which won't apply to NA 2.8's), plus a premature water pump failure. The service at my local dealer has been very good.

They did the suspension recall during my last regular service but no work was required on my car.

Now that I'm approaching 60K miles and out of warranty, I'm into the "could get real expensive real quick" territory. I LOVE this car but not sure I want to keep it until the turbos or trannie blows which are $$$$. As it is, I'll need to do the timing belt and probably a clutch in the next few months. Just did a full brake overhaul $$$ in January.
Midtowner
Speaking of brakes, I'm usually very easy on my brakes on every car I've owned but still had to replace the rear rotors and pads after 45,000 miles. For some reason the rears wear out before the front.

One more thing common to all Audi's with the gas plasma digital display: the pixels will fade or go dark in warm weather, say over 80 degrees. Apparently the x and y electical feeds build up resistance over time and use. Warm to hot conditions behind the display results in increased resistance and fading pixels. My Audi Assured warranty covered the replacement of the entire instrument cluster ($1200 in parts). Again, this affects A4's, S4's, A6's, heck even the RS cars. With the weather still being cool (except here in the SF Bay Area where it was 87 degrees in SF), you may not see the fading pixel effect for your PPI. smile.gif
anthony
I just moved and my commute when from 3.7 miles to 48.9 miles each way. I've been looking for an AWD hatchback or wagon to drive when I'm not using the 914.

Are you sure you want a car with 150K miles on it when you are driving 100 miles a day. In two years that car will have 200K miles on it.

Kerrys914
Just pick up my Quattro today smile.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif 2.8 with the tiptronic (Auto/Man). Very nice and SOLID. I have been driving a Jeep for the last 6 years and this is a nice nice nice change of pace driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

Hope you find one.
ematulac
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Mar 12 2005, 04:24 PM)
Just pick up my Quattro today smile.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif 2.8 with the tiptronic (Auto/Man). Very nice and SOLID. I have been driving a Jeep for the last 6 years and this is a nice nice nice change of pace driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

Hope you find one.

Good deal, Kerry! beerchug.gif

I'm going to go look at the Avant tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait. smile.gif

I considered a Jeep, too, but I preferred full time AWD. My 914 has been my daily driver for some time, so the 2.8 will definitely be a welcome change of pace.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.