Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting closer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ppickerell
HPH has advised and I have accepted the following additional items to clean up the front:
Weltmeister Sway Bar
German Turbo Tie Rod kit
SS Braided Brake lines
Front rotors
Front pads
Front Bearings
Alignment
Looks like we may get the car back late March. I wish I could remember what the car looked like!
Jeroen
I wouldn't do the welt bar...
go Tarett
fairly small price difference and lots more quality
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 10 2005, 10:04 AM)
I wouldn't do the welt bar...
go Tarett
fairly small price difference and lots more quality

yep. taretts are designed a bunch beefier. welts look like a plumber's erector set.

you wont regret it once you see the quality
ppickerell
Too late now. My recollection was that there was QUITE a differential according to Rich B at HPH?
nebreitling
tarret's definitely a better bar, but welt will work just fine. give us the full spec on your car!
Jeroen
IIRC the Welt bars are $300 + $100 for adj. droplinks
The Tarett bar is $475 (comes with adj.droplinks as standard)
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Mar 10 2005, 11:27 AM)
Too late now. My recollection was that there was QUITE a differential according to Rich B at HPH?

or was he just trying to sell you what he had in stock? unsure.gif
ppickerell
I am too far down the road with HPH to get out now! Specs:
Car started as a rust free cali 73 1.7 and then I bought a complete running 2.0 that I sent to Brad/HPH
Work done to date:
Koni Yellows
New rear springs
Raby kit 2056 complete rebuild with ceramic lifters, mild cam keeping stock FI
European Racing Headrers and BHursch muffler ceramic coated
Complete new tranny with Billet Intermediate plate and ZF diff (F'in expensive bits here!)
Rennshift
New brakes
ss brake lines
New fuel lines
Front sway bar
Door latches rebuilt
HPH says that car should be finished by end of March. We plan on a season of AX, and then maybe 5 lug conversion, flares, fuel cell, halon system and roll bar over the winter if we are still having fun. Then next season will be track and AX. After that season, then one might expect a 6 conversion would be in the works.
ppickerell
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 10 2005, 11:58 AM)
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Mar 10 2005, 11:27 AM)

or was he just trying to sell you what he had in stock? unsure.gif

In fairness to HPH, both bars were offered. I have opted for the better quality part every step of the way, and now feel somewhat stupid about going the cheap route on the sway bar. This may be the most expensive rebuild of a 914 ever!
SirAndy
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Mar 10 2005, 12:31 PM)
This may be the most expensive rebuild of a 914 ever!

not even close ... rolleyes.gif

i know you guys are going to have fun out there!
driving.gif Andy
J P Stein
The Welt down links have been known to bind on the "U" tab on the A-arm which can cause the rod end to break. Mine was binding, but didn't break. It can be "dealt with", me thinks

I now run the Tarett. Having said that, the Tarett is a (effectivly) 22mm bar which at it's softest settiing may be too stiff for a mild suspension set-up. I see you have a rear AR bar
& LSD so you mightcould get away with it.

As to your costs.....I agree with Andy. I've had 7-8 years to dump money into mine.....you have a ways to go laugh.gif
ppickerell
I see a contest in the making. Most money poured into a 914!
J P Stein
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Mar 10 2005, 01:10 PM)
I see a contest in the making. Most money poured into a 914!

No way am I adding up my costs.
I did that once 4-5 (6?)years ago. 14000 IIRC, without including the cost of the car (4800).....and I do all my own work. *Then* I decided I needed to be an AX hero.....auggh.
ppickerell
Hmmm,
$4500 for car
$8500 for motor
$7k tranny
$5K for incidentals

Then I will need $6K for paint
$6K for interior

I really love my car, but shoulda bought a Boxster!
J P Stein
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Mar 10 2005, 01:30 PM)
Hmmm,
$4500 for car
$8500 for motor
$7k tranny
$5K for incidentals

Then I will need $6K for paint
$6K for interior

I really love my car, but shoulda bought a Boxster!

Humm........I've got around $600 in my paint job.
I surrender in advance . It should take you only another year or 2 to surpass me. I only spent maybe 5K this winter. laugh.gif
Britain Smith
I am sure that I have poured the most into a 912 and I am not done yet. Don't tell the wife...

-Britain
Trekkor
Patrick, any chance of encouraging Rich to have you ready for Marina?

KT
ppickerell
Brit,
I hope my car looks as nice as yours when it's done. So I can assume that you are not doing this for the investment value? I am looking to rent some space in the east bay and put in a lift so that I can do some of my own work. I can't really work out of my garage. So for now HPH is generating some vigorous revenue. It's definitely cool to see some progress! I like to support my local P-Car business guy. Kahlers in Dublin is liking my non-914 P-Car business that's for sure!
Mueller
I am looking to rent some space in the east bay and put in a lift so that I can do some of my own work. I can't really work out of my garage

that would be cool, then you can recoup some of the money by renting time to some of us folks smile.gif
nine14cats
Hey Patrick....at least you see light at the end of the tunnel....when I jokingly put "looking forward to the 2006 season" I didn't really think it would be true. But realistically, I'm done for the year. The car build is basically a serial move every step of the way, and every step takes WEEKS! ohmy.gif

We've got one helluva long way to go. Since blowing our engine, it will be well over one year in between races.

On the positivie side for you, you're only halfway to what I have spent on my car, and yours is on it's own suspension! laugh.gif

Never again.....The build has pretty much sapped all of the good times out of owning a 914. It's supposed to be fun....currently it isn't.

$8K for a stock FI Raby motor?.....no shit? I saw it at HPH the other day....she sure looked purdy! I like the powdercoated runners!

Bill P.
jonwatts
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 10 2005, 07:07 PM)

that would be cool, then you can recoup some of the money by renting time to some of us folks smile.gif

What he said.

ppickerell
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Mar 10 2005, 07:16 PM)
Hey Patrick....at least you see light at the end of the tunnel....when I jokingly put "looking forward to the 2006 season" I didn't really think it would be true. But realistically, I'm done for the year. The car build is basically a serial move every step of the way, and every step takes WEEKS! ohmy.gif

We've got one helluva long way to go. Since blowing our engine, it will be well over one year in between races.

On the positivie side for you, you're only halfway to what I have spent on my car, and yours is on it's own suspension! laugh.gif

Never again.....The build has pretty much sapped all of the good times out of owning a 914. It's supposed to be fun....currently it isn't.

$8K for a stock FI Raby motor?.....no shit? I saw it at HPH the other day....she sure looked purdy! I like the powdercoated runners!

Bill P.

Bill,
Would that we could have known how torturous the path would be, we might have well purchased a finished car like the two on ebay currently. Sigh......I just want to get behind the f'in wheel! Some people talk a good line! I want to drive one. I'll see you in 06!
ppickerell
Seriously, any of you that are interested in a non-revenue generating workspace and want to talk about some shared space to wrench in the east bay let me know. I can make this happen. I ain't lookin for revenue, I have a job. Just looking for a place for me and my kid to work on our projects! Joint race projects??? Sounds good to me.
Elliot_Cannon
Did I see $8500 for the engine? OK I don't feal so bad now. I will also be one NOT adding up receipts. I did all the work except the engine and I am coming really close to that total figure. But I'm NOT adding up the damn receipts. (Unless I can keep it from my Minister of Finance.)
It might have been easier and maybe smarter to buy a finished car but you sure can learn a lot about the car by tearing it down and rebuilding it yourself. What do they call it? "Becoming one with the machine".
Cheers, Elliot
ppickerell
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Mar 10 2005, 08:24 PM)
Did I see $8500 for the engine? OK I don't feal so bad now. I will also be one NOT adding up receipts. I did all the work except the engine and I am coming really close to that total figure. But I'm NOT adding up the damn receipts. (Unless I can keep it from my Minister of Finance.)
It might have been easier and maybe smarter to buy a finished car but you sure can learn a lot about the car by tearing it down and rebuilding it yourself. What do they call it? "Becoming one with the machine".
Cheers, Elliot

yea I guess I could have went TR (totally Raby) for that price. But in my business I don't nitpick price with my suppliers, it's all about customer service and long term relationships. I was/am trying to build loacal relationships. I am not complaining about the price. I appreciate quality work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.