Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front wheel bearings...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
I'm putting some new struts and shocks in my car. I figured while everything is out, I'd install some new wheel bearings as well. I was wondering if a press is required to install the new bearings, or is there some way to do it without one? I can likely get access to a press, but I'm just wondering if it's required. Whats the easiest way to install new bearings?

Also, the bearings I got are Koyo bearings. Anybody heard of this brand before? Are they any good?

Thanks,
skline
Bearings are bearings in my opinon. As for a press, I have always taken the rotors down and had them pressed in and out at the local parts store that turns rotors. The inner bearing has a runner that is pressed into the rotor that the race runs on. I imagine you could beat it out of there and then beat a new one in. It just better and easier to do it right and have someone who knows how to do it and get it right.
davep
I machined up some drifts in aluminum to do it with a hammer. You could also use old bearing outer races as a drift. Just work very carefully. Obviously, without the rollers in place (I have to say that cause some idiots have done it that way).
davep
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 10 2005, 09:04 AM)
Bearings are bearings in my opinon.

Not true. For example, we have some drill presses here that are used to drill holes in wood to hold bristles. These are high RPM drills, probably over 20,000RPM. The bearing part number is almost the same as a very common $5 bearing. But this bearing number ends in something like '-7'. This designates the quality, or useful RPM range. This bearing runs $70. I thought about this for a while and wondered if higher quality wheel bearings were available. I didn't find any, but I always choose original VW bearings. Some dealers choose to sell aftermarket parts alongside OEM parts. I'd rather pay a little more for quality.
Aaron Cox
i used the old races to put the new ones in.

BTW timkin bearings are boss!
Dave_Darling

Yup, or a socket of the appropriate size.

BTW, the inside of the hub has a couple of notches in the surface that the bearing race seats against, specifically so you can take a punch and use it to push the race out of the hub... Tap-tap, move to the other side, tap-tap, move to the other side, tap-tap .... Takes a while, but can be done in your back yard!

--DD
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 10 2005, 10:52 AM)

BTW, the inside of the hub has a couple of notches in the surface that the bearing race seats against, specifically so you can take a punch and use it to push the race out of the hub... Tap-tap, move to the other side, tap-tap, move to the other side, tap-tap .... Takes a while, but can be done in your back yard!

--DD

agree.gif Yep, that is how I do them. It is a slow process, but it works just fine.
jr91472
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Mar 10 2005, 10:52 AM)

--DD

agree.gif

piece of cake
lapuwali
Don't forget to put the new bearings in the freezer the night before you start working, and don't take them out until you're ready to install them (i.e., after you remove the old ones and clean the hubs). Remove ALL of the old grease and muck from the hubs. Many people seem to love using way too much grease.
Elliot_Cannon
Bearings in the freezer and hubs in the oven. Or do what I did and take them to a local shop or parts store and have them use their arbor press. Sometimes they don't even charge you, cause it only takes a few minutes. The last time it cost me a six pack of Corona!
Cheers, Elliot
PS Timkins is good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.