Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you run a EJ20 Turbo as a N/A engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
Iam now thinking about running a turbo EJ20,..but can it be run as a NA,.Until I could put all the componets together,..meaning Fabing all the parts that wont come with the engine,..or is it a drop-in assembly,..Thanks FM
Mueller
I see no reason why not...it won't be as quick as a factory N/A 2.0 Subaru motor of the same size (if they even make one) due to the lower compression of the turbo motor.

flmont
I cant find a ez30 motor yet ,so I thought about those engines,seems to Be enough available,... how are the JDM engines..????
Mike Bellis
Lower compression = lower power without boost.

Then you have to tune it twice which can get expensive. I paid $2200 for tuning and parts for my Audi motor.

Seems to me adding the turbo now will be cheaper and less work in the long run.
JRust
Just run the 2.5 & add the turbo. You can do that with lower boost with no problem. Probably have to stick with about 8 lbs so not sure how great that would be. You'd just need fuel rails, intake & an ECU
matthepcat
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 5 2015, 05:49 PM) *

Lower compression = lower power without boost.

Then you have to tune it twice which can get expensive. I paid $2200 for tuning and parts for my Audi motor.

Seems to me adding the turbo now will be cheaper and less work in the long run.

agree.gif

Just wait and do it all at once. You have to run a different computer, exhaust and it will be a low compression dog.
flmont
is there a lot of special mods to do,..?? or can you install the turbo engine,..and go from there...
matthepcat
QUOTE(flmont @ Nov 5 2015, 06:13 PM) *

is there a lot of special mods to do,..?? or can you install the turbo engine,..and go from there...

Not really much more than an N/A motor:

You have to cut the trunk to fit the turbo ( unless you relocate the turbo with the renegade hybrids up-pipe).

You have to relocated the factory inter-cooler, or run a water to air inter-cooler.

Other than that, everything else is pretty much the same as the N/A conversion.

Will you be running a WRX transmission or the stock 901?
Chris H.
Take a look at the NA 2.0L JDM engines. They are CHEAP. Only 140hp or so but you can get one with low miles for like $700. Totally agree that running a turbo engine without the turbo wouldn't be the best idea. The ECU would be confused and even with the correct tune it'd be like a 2.0L bus motor. Low compression pistons, etc. You could mildly boost a NA engine as Jamie mentioned.
DBCooper
^^^ Agree totally. I think you'd be real disappointed with a N/A turbo engine. Some cheap Delta cam re-grinds in a naturally aspirated EJ22 and you're over 160hp with a really reasonable cost and amount of work. That or a stock newer SOHC EJ25 and you're at similar horsepower at a similar price. 165hp is enough for a lot of fun, maybe more than you think.

flmont
JDM in Phoenix,..has a 04-05 turbo for 1400.00 about 50 K miles,..on it,..??
Jake Raby
I have a ton of the EJ20T ancillaries and etc that I have no use for, if you need something. The same for internals, cranks, cams and etc that we pulled out to replace with our goodies.
76-914
QUOTE(flmont @ Nov 5 2015, 04:45 PM) *

I cant find a ez30 motor yet ,so I thought about those engines,seems to Be enough available,... how are the JDM engines..????

You'll probably end up w/ a JDM which is OK if you can get the ECU too. Otherwise, buy a nice wrecked one and strip. There is so much you can cannibalize.
colingreene
I am going to say if you dont have the money to do it right the first time dont do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.