Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shock mount tie downs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
can some one post a sketch with the size and hole dia. for the tie down brackets that mount on the rear shock lower bolts. I have a bunch of heavy steal and a way to nock out a couple of sets of these welder.gif
machina
don't know the size but I'll take a set if you can make extra.
spare time toys
The cost will be VERRY reasonable. Get the picture and measurements for the fronts and I bet those could be made also. welder.gif
Aaron Cox
these?
user posted image
and these?
user posted image
groot
Does anybody else worry about loading the rear suspension through that point?.... assuming one crosses their straps. And knowing how the outside rear trailing arm mount is slotted for alignment.

Towing loads are generally much greater than loads seen on the street.
machina
I can't imagine that any load in a normal towing situation comes close to what the suspension sees in places like turn 17 at Sebring. The left side of the car is all loaded up there and then throw in the bumps etc...

thinks its a pretty safe pick up pt for the straps.
groot
You might be surprised. That tire gives a lot more than a strap, especially with two pulling against each other. Braking, turning, bumps, and acceleration with the tow vehicle manifests its load through those straps, trying to pull those poor little trailing arms together.

I agree that in most circumstances the load is small, but one emergency braking manuever over a bump while towing and there's a bigger spike on those trailing arms than they'll see on the track.

For example: Ford has very specific tough ocean/rail shipping tie down tests that are usually the most stringent test for the body of a vehicle. The loads are higher in that test than any other test, now some of that has to do with connecting rail cars.... clang icon_bump.gif
spare time toys
Aaron I just get the red Xs' no pics.
Aaron Cox
for larry
Aaron Cox
again....
spare time toys
That works thanks.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Mar 10 2005, 06:08 PM)
That works thanks.

for that...id like a free set! laugh.gif

serious though.... couldnt hurt to have a set.... looks like you neeed to cut and bend.... thats it......

ill take a set powdercoated red... LOL
spare time toys
I took a temp spot over in plant maint. at work. we are making the tail stands to work overhaul on 737s welder.gif . They are made out of 4 inch 1/4 wall tube. I figure I can get a bunch out of the tube scraps we have. Also a nice asortment of plate thicknesses. We have one of those Paranah hydraulic shears it goes through 1/4 inch plate like a knife does butter. Its scarry strong. unsure.gif
ChrisFoley
Aaron, those front brackets are useless on a 914, despite what the vendor says. LarryP bought a set based on the website ad for me to install on his car and I can say without a doubt they are not right for a 914. The front bolt boss is a different height than the two other bosses.
Even with a little redesign there are problems fitting a similar bracket to a 914 due to the proximity to the front valence. You might get away with it if you have an air dam instead of the valence but I'm not so sure.
At the front I use non-ratcheting adjustable straps. I wrap them around the transverse part of the a-arms, then go forward to one ring at the center-front of the trailer.

I don't like to cross my rear straps for the same reason Kevin mentioned - too much chance of changing the toe setting.
I wrap a short strap around the round tube part of the trailing arm, even though it is difficult to get past the caliper. Then I attach the ratchet strap to that and go straight back to a ring at the back of the trailer. This has worked perfectly for me for a number of years.
No reason you couldn't use the rings at the back but don't cross the straps.
spare time toys
Is a1/4 to thick or just what is a good thickness? confused24.gif
ChrisFoley
3/16" or 1/4" will work ok.
Aaron Cox
1/4 is THICK stuff.....

aim for 3/16..... how are you cutting them and folding the fronts??
spare time toys
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 10 2005, 09:56 PM)
1/4 is THICK stuff.....

aim for 3/16..... how are you cutting them and folding the fronts??

Remember that Paranah I was telling about. slice and dice then weld. actualy if the front ones you show dont work on a 914 Ill just make a bunch of rears. I can spray bumb them red and you can repaint or powder how ever you wish. Ill figure out rears and post a shot next week. I am doing a swap meet this weekend.
spare time toys
I am not where I can check at the moment but need the diameter of the lower bolt for the shock. I need it so I can punch the hole in the plate for the rear tow hook. cool.gif
machina
perfect timing larry, thanks, got the tie downs today and she's going on the trailer tomorrow.

I don't think there is enough room on my bolt unless I remove the inner rubber spacer, is that going to create a problem?

Have others been able to install tie downs on the rear bolt?

I know it doesn't have anything to do with your units in particular, maybe my car is just different?
9146R
I have a set of 4 lug nut replacements - with the oversized eyebolt on end. These work very nicely with the tie-down straps. As I recall they are readily available from Tweeks and other catalogue providers. Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.