Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo tie rods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1bad914
Installed the turbo tie rods last night, not bad. I can see why the TTR's would improve the feel and response...very nice. Ne xt is the bump steer kit. Has anyone gone to the local hardware store and just bought the parts to do it, if so, how thick are the spacers? Yes, I'm frugal (cheap)!
ArtechnikA
the spacers aren't really the big deal (you use as much as will fit, typically - the top of the rack hits the bottom of the tub before it's as high as you'd like ...) IIRC the 'kit' spacers are about 10mm thick - call it 3/8"...

the BIG deal is using appropriate bolts of the appropriate length to fasten the steering rack back down. i'd probably use a 10,9 but by all means use no less than a good-quality 8,8
nsyr
You are better off just buying the spacers. With the longer bolts and trying to find spacers that will work it will cost you about the same.
TravisNeff
I have to install mine tonight, it is for a 1973, I will measure up the thickness of the spacer and the bolt length/grade for you.

If your car is 1972 or older there is a different kit (which I believe is the bolt length only).
KaptKaos
My kit came with 2 sets of bolts. Forgot the length of the ones I used, but the instructions were pretty clear. I recommend the kit.
Joe Ricard
My bump shims are over 1/2" and the bolts are 10.9 with suffcient length to match what was there before.
jim912928
Also, you don't need the bump/steer kit because of the turbo tie rod ends...you need the bump/steer kit if you are lowering your car. If you are keeping your car at the factory height you don't need it. The bump/steer is intended to help keep the geometry of the steering rack with everything else when the car is lowered alot....at least this is what I've been told.

Jim
phantom914
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Mar 10 2005, 12:40 PM)
....................................at least this is what I've been told.

Jim

And you were told correctly. smile.gif

Andrew
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Mar 10 2005, 03:40 PM)
you need the bump/steer kit if you are lowering your car.

that is correct.

i once saw a 914 at factory ride height, but it was in 1976, and at a Parade Concours.

haven't seen many since.

one (theoretical) advantage of using multiple Blanchard-ground (so they are flat and true...) washers is that you can use only the amount needed to minimise toe-change (what produces bumpsteer) in bump over the available suspension travel.

it's theoretical because in practice, most people lower the car farther than the rack can be raised to compensate, so it's a matter of getting what you can. the expensive bump steer kits that lower the (effective) tie rod mounting point are another way to go, as is having the steering arm reshaped (also not cheap, done right ...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.