Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear brake disk inner shields
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
Is there any REAL benefit to those shields? Seems to me that leaving them off would improve brake cooling and reduce unsprung weight (by a little). I'll be using 914-6 rotors and 914-4 rear calipers.
SirAndy
for a street car, i'd say leave 'em on.
they help keeping dirt and rocks out of your brake pads/calipers ...

on a track/ax car, it depends ...
cool.gif Andy
jim912928
and....spraying/leaking oil off the brake parts...although we know that never happens!
bondo
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 10 2005, 01:33 PM)
for a street car, i'd say leave 'em on.
they help keeping dirt and rocks out of your brake pads/calipers ...

on a track/ax car, it depends ...
cool.gif Andy

I've actually had them cause rocks to get stuck between the shield and the rotor. (not on a 914 though)
mikey
Put them in. There's a bracket that bolts to the shield. It fits between the caliper and the control arm. Without this bracket the venting clearance couldn't be adjusted properly on my 914-6. Once I got everything in place everything lined up perfectly.
bondo
Oh, good point. It's been a while since I took them off, and all the related parts are in a ziplock somewhere. It'll be a while before I put them back too.. right now I was just trying to figure out if I should bother bending them back to flat. smile.gif
mattillac
they'll help keep brake dust from getting all over your susp./tranny/eng./etc. etc.
mikey
right now I was just trying to figure out if I should bother bending them back to flat.

Flatten back to normal, powder coat them or paint them semi-gloss black, and put them back on. I even re-plated the brackets. It makes your rear suspension look very pretty and that's a gud thing.

smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.