Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Road Ahead - Upcoming changes to 914World.com
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SirAndy
There are several changes and improvements coming to 914world over the next few months.

The move to a new server this weekend was the first step in that process. By moving the site to a new server, we can now take advantage of better hardware and more storage space.

Our old server was running close to its capacity both in terms of processing power and file storage.

Here are some of the upcoming changes:

- Refactor the current codebase for the forums
The forum software was written almost 15 years ago and it is starting to become more and more of a problem. I'll be spending some time doing a major cleanup while adding some of the new features listed below.

- Create a mobile friendly skin for the forums
As more and more people move towards mobile devices it's time that we have a usable interface that works well in that environment.

- Upgrade the database to a newer format
Our current database is getting HUGE and it's time to move it to a newer format that can take advantage of the better hardware we now run on. This should drastically improve the loading speed on the site.

- Restructure the image file storage
The way the forum software currently stores uploaded images was never meant to be used for large amounts of files. We're now at over 700,000+ uploaded images taking up some 150GB of disk space and they're all stored in the same folder on the server (!). The new codebase will use a different approach for file storage that will improve access times to those images as well as categorizing them in a more meaningful manner.

- Allow members to tag images and threads
Being able to tag posted images and threads with keywords would allow for much easier searching. This could include both predefined tags and member defined tags.

- Update the VIN pages to be part of the forum
Change the pages for the VIN database to be integrated into the forum software. This would allow for better searching as well as attaching multiple images per VIN.

- Update the "914 Info" section to be part of the forum
Many of the current pages in the 914 info section need to be integrated into the forum software.

- Clean up the current forum skins
The current HTML for the forum skins is not compliant with the latest standards and needs to be reworked to work better with all modern browsers. At the same time, i'd like to add more color options to the skin selection.

- Add search function to your PMs
Allow members to search through their PMs easily.

- Add a "reply all" option to multiple recipient PMs
Adding this option will aid group conversations utilizing the PM system.

- Members map
We used to have a members map using frappr which was based on Google maps. I'd like to resurrect that idea and have a integrated map where members can enter their (approximate) location and add additional info, like a picture of their car.

- Add member tagging using @Username
Tagging a member by using their username in a post with the @ prefix will send them a notification with a link to the post where they were tagged.
This is a simple and easy way to get someone's attention to a post or topic.

Done ...

type.gif
Dtjaden
Great stuff Andy clap56.gif
timothy_nd28
Great news! Seems like a ton of work, can I help in any way?
bcheney
QUOTE(Dtjaden @ Nov 8 2015, 10:52 PM) *

Great stuff Andy clap56.gif

All of us are extremely grateful for all the work you do with our site and community. Thank you!
Zimms
aktion035.gif beerchug.gif Awesome stuff! THANK YOU!
scotty b
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 8 2015, 07:37 PM) *

- Add a "reply all" option to multiple recipient PMs
Adding this option will aid group conversations utilizing the PM system.

type.gif

wub.gif Your the bestest Andy
Jett
Thanks for all the effort. The site is Fast smile.gif
914bub
QUOTE(Jett @ Nov 8 2015, 08:48 PM) *

Thanks for all the effort. The site is Fast smile.gif

I am super grateful as well, Andy, for all you do for us.

Can you include clickable links to other 914 enthusiast sites where I can still buy the shoes I need?

TIA,.... Bub

aktion035.gif
veekry9
Click to view attachment
Are you shitting me?
Truly?
This tiny 'cellphone' has 1 Terabyte and has a camera.
This Collossus has 256k!It has to warm up the tubes.
Tell me futureman,has mankind reached the stars.
Is the future a time of peace?

Gripes:
01) Display color formatting---------(the snow-blindness effect of a bright screen)-------A choice of colors and contrasts suitable to the users preference.A palette of versions.
02) A highlighted cursor-------------(a return to the previous page(backpaging))------------To see where in the list you were before,a contrasting highlite.Flaming pink if you choose.
03) Large Icon View-----------------(Other than a list format)-------------------------------A glance of the subject's topic and first few lines and or pix by mousing or other interface.
04) Icon gif panel--------------------(I don't use a gif all the time)--------------------But when I do,a pop-up or dropdown works for me.May I minimize the gif panel?
05) Edtor panel----------------------(A window in the corner sucks)----------------------A normal window,min/max/drag/pop and a line length limit to display and wrap.
06) Autosave-------------------------(Lose your editor input?)---------------------------Autosave,you know,autosave,for those neanderthals who use thumbs to type.
07) Page of thread-------------------(Want page 6?)--------------------------------------Pulldown and enter #in field,mouse LB,(not enter/return))Pita.A string of page # icons.
08) Thinking of somethin..Oh Yeah,a googlemap address for the sites and /found vehicles/photo'd 914s/vendors references and other utility.(Pix of a 914,the other side of the hill.)
09) Tailending the editor string-----(Adding attachment to input,cursor is ignored)---Saving,then reopening,placing the cursor with a leading and trailing space works though.

(edit:11/13/15)
10)Tagging----------------------------(Where was I?searching the page)---------------------------------------A highlited icon to map interesting subjects,at a glance

An interesting tangent of the transistors. biggrin.gif
http://www.scientificamerican.com/magazine/sa/1969/09-01/
http://www.joeydevilla.com/2010/01/15/mult...he-mad-men-era/
914-300Hemi
Thank you for all your hard work. It is greatly appreciated.
r_towle
You are a great and dedicated guy!
Krieger
Thanks for all your work! beer3.gif
Mikey914
Thanks Andy,
Let me know if you need anything. Your dedication to the forum is what truly makes world what it is.
bfrymire
Great work Andy!

-- brett
mbseto
Thanks for your efforts!
Gambusia
Thank you
infraredcalvin
Thank you!
bob
thanks!!!

-bob
Andyrew
Good news! Thanks for everything Andy! Let us knoe if there is anything we can do to help!
76-914
Thx Andy. Is it a pain to add the ability to send pic's via pm, while your in there? biggrin.gif
arsprod
As a fairly new teener owner I can't imagine life without this site - thanks so much for your hard work!

Aaron
wes
We are very lucky to have such a dedicated one at the wheel or should I say keyboard. Thanks much Andy! You have made it so much more likely to keep or cars running happily down the road.
Larmo63
Thanks Sir Andy!!!! beerchug.gif
914dave
Andy
Thanks for all your efforts! beerchug.gif It is greatly appreciated by those of us who live on this site.
Dave
SirAndy
And keep the suggestions coming, i'm taking notes ...
type.gif
LowBridge
super news and thank you for the hard work beer3.gif
Beakster
agree.gif YES I agree too this sight has help me connect with more experienced owners to help me along the way of learning more about the 914World .. I just ASSumed that owning a few 911's you would make you a pro at a 914 ... WRONG I was soon thought different welcome.png So Sir Andy Thanks for the hard work in keeping this site up and strong .. first.gif
bandjoey
Yes. It's an awesome site and Thanks for taking care of if. first.gif
DavidSweden
Good job, thanks for taking the time not everone would be prepared to do it
jor
I echo the comments above. This is a fantastic site and owning a 914 without it would be a lot more difficult. Thank you for your hard work and dedication. You can certainly see how many of us are truly appreciative. first.gif
Vysoc
Andy, you are the man, thank you so much for everything that you do for this great community.

Just glad to be a part of this great group!!!

Vysoc flag.gif
rgalla9146
Not sure what all that interweb jargon means.......but the last couple days without the site was not good.
Andy, thank you for all the hard work you do for all of us.
Rory
stevegm
A big thank you. The weekend wasn't the same without the world. pray.gif
brooks944
Glad 914World is back! Already asked my latest dumb question....
rktmn247
Andy,
Thanks for all you do to keep this site up and running! I was having small kind withdrawals over here. It was good though, forced me to catch up on some tail dragger threads over on the bird.
trojanhorsepower
agree.gif
bigkensteele
Unless I missed it above, is there any way that we can help defray the cost of this upgrade? I will gladly throw some coin your way (again) for all that you do. Please tell me how to send you some money. I know that you love this place as much or more than we all do, but you shouldn't spend a dime of your own money to keep it up. Please tell us how we can help.

Again.

first.gif first.gif first.gif first.gif first.gif first.gif

for keeping this board alive. I can't tell you how much this place means to me, but I would be happy to keep it afloat with a donation. Please let me know how I can.

Ken
mankowski
I've learned so much and enjoyed so much this wonderful site. Many thanks to you and everyone for making ownership of a 45 year old car possible.

Krieger
agree.gif I have been wondering the same thing.
Blue6
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 9 2015, 09:40 PM) *

Unless I missed it above, is there any way that we can help defray the cost of this upgrade? I will gladly throw some coin your way (again) for all that you do. Please tell me how to send you some money. I know that you love this place as much or more than we all do, but you shouldn't spend a dime of your own money to keep it up. Please tell us how we can help.

Again.

first.gif first.gif first.gif first.gif first.gif first.gif

for keeping this board alive. I can't tell you how much this place means to me, but I would be happy to keep it afloat with a donation. Please let me know how I can.

Ken

DITTO!!! I would think it not free, so let us contribute...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 9 2015, 01:47 PM) *

type.gif

I'd be happy if you'd just get a new battery for your car! lol-2.gif av-943.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 9 2015, 09:54 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 9 2015, 01:47 PM) *
type.gif
I'd be happy if you'd just get a new battery for your car! lol-2.gif av-943.gif

Way ahead of you, got one for free under warranty ...
shades.gif
PlantMan
Thanks Andy from one German to another!
I look forward to this site everyday when I get a few minutes to relax.
somd914
I appreciate all your efforts in maintaining and improving the World!
carr914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 8 2015, 10:37 PM) *

- Restructure the image file storage
The way the forum software currently stores uploaded images was never meant to be used for large amounts of file. We're now at over 700,000+ uploaded images taking up some 150GB of disk space and they're all stored in the same folder on the server (!). The new codebase will use a different approach for file storage that will improve access times to those images as well as categorizing them in a more meaningful manner.

URY & I almost killed the World! biggrin.gif

Thanks Andy!
sb914
Using wife's phone, my I phone won't work on the world. after it was down now won't work .POS phone!
budk
QUOTE(sb914 @ Nov 10 2015, 08:20 AM) *

Using wife's phone, my I phone won't work on the world WTF.gif after it was down now won't work

clear the cache on your phone.
Dtjaden
Andy,

It just seems too fast now beerchug.gif
GaroldShaffer
possible to upload more than one picture at a time. I know you can have multiple pictures in one post, but to be able to browse and select more than one picture at a time would be nice.
sfrenck
Thanks for the efforts. I go to this site multiple times a day and the proposed improvements sound like great upgrades.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.