Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does anybody know starters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
why does my starter sometimes makes a horrible screech sound....sounds like its not engaging fully....should i beat it relentlessly with a hammer?
SirAndy
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 10 2005, 01:06 PM)
why does my starter sometimes makes a horrible screech sound....sounds like its not engaging fully....should i beat it relentlessly with a hammer?

it's chewing up the teeth on your ring-gear ...

wink.gif Andy
skline
If it is chewing up the ring gear then by all means, beat it senseless with a big hammer!

Make sure the bolts are tight holding it in. I have had them come loose before and that is what it does.
Steve Thacker
Ok, here is what I want you to do. Sans the hammer.
Locate 1/2 pound Simtex and equal part RDX and a detenator. Squish Simtex and RDX firmly between solenoid and starter. Insert detenator into mix. Hook up to a 200 ft or more set of wires. Put on hearing protection "wet tampons" work in a pinch. Turn body away from vehicle and touch wires to posts. Problem will be solved....
...trust me biggrin.gif

I'll be serious, I promise. Your starter based on the noise, my S.W.A.G is a dying or weak bindex, probably due to a weak spring. Pull the starter out and do the old Dave Darling floatation test with it and go pick up a rebuild one from your local FLAPS. I think I paid 70 bucks for mine. Also before installing a new starter check out your flywheel for hosed up teeth.
TheCabinetmaker
If the starter screeches and does not engage (motor don't turn over), its the bendix. Otherwise, do as steve suggest.
bd1308
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 10 2005, 03:28 PM)
If the starter screeches and does not engage (motor don't turn over), its the bendix. Otherwise, do as steve suggest.

HOLY CRAP!!! I JUST REPLACED MINE!!! BEEN THROUGH 3. paid 200 shells for the HD NAPA starter. I did have a 40 shell starter but it died in .6 days. well if it destroys my ring teeth, i'll just throw my 2,0 into the same pond where DD throws his crap parts....then aaron "stalin" Cox can go fish it out for its crappy heads wink.gif

actually it has a lifetime warranty on it. I'll just get starter #4.....
Joe Bob
Lifetime warranty my ass....I got tired of pulling them and replacing the crappy rebuilds, even if they were free.

I went with a new Bosch 911 starter...I "think" it's a SR 68X...I'll look at the boxes when I get home. 1.5hp....I bought three of them.
Carlitos Way
Rebuilt "Bosch" cost me about $40 plus core at Pep Boys. They didn't have it at my local store... so I had to wait for a transfer. But for that price, who cares? smile.gif
mightyohm
If you are not getting enough voltage to the starter it can cause meshing problems too because the solenoid will not fully extend the pinion shaft.
bondo
It can also be the other way around.. The ring gear teeth may be chewing up the starter teeth. If you have very worn or broken teeth, replace the flywheel. If they're just munched enough that the starter teeth don't mesh nicely, you may be able to file the ones you can see, turn the engine a little, file more, etc. If multiple starters have been doing the same thing I think it's pretty likely the ring gear, but you have to pull the starter and look to be sure. It may be a small bad spot that isn't immediatly visible, so be sure to do the look-turn-look-turn-look thing.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (cmolina @ Mar 10 2005, 02:55 PM)
Rebuilt "Bosch" cost me about $40 plus core at Pep Boys. They didn't have it at my local store... so I had to wait for a transfer. But for that price, who cares? smile.gif

Just because it says Bosch...don't mean it's a Bosch rebuild....

Anyways....define rebuild and refurbish....some of the NAPA and Manny, Moe and Crap stores think the term is interchangeable. If it works on the bench the part stays in...that's why they are 40 bucks.

"I" will normally take something for rebuild to a local guy and TELL him what I want replaced...not tested and buttoned up. Unless it's new, a chain store is the last place I go for rebuilt parts.....

Get stuck once in BFE and you will do the same.
bd1308
man this sucks....flywheels are way mucho costos....might just have to leave the 914 out to pasture for awhile if the flywheel gets eaten up...that NAPA piece was insanely high priced. But I might just buy a 911 starter and keep the bosch for a rainy "rebuild" day
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 10 2005, 04:07 PM)
man this sucks....flywheels are way mucho costos....might just have to leave the 914 out to pasture for awhile if the flywheel gets eaten up...that NAPA piece was insanely high priced. But I might just buy a 911 starter and keep the bosch for a rainy "rebuild" day

Looks like you still need my motor. It comes with a flywheel by the way biggrin.gif Maybe even a starter if you bring a six pack of Turbo Dog by.
Steve Thacker
There has been some very good points brought up by the fellas here. I think this is a great topic as this problem has bit a few of us in the tail-feathers.

We have covered possibles:

Bad flywheel / ring gear teeth, usually caused by a hosed starter or that lost bolt you dropped.
Voltage drops to the starters, hot and cold (normal bug with these cars)
Starter defects- bendix, spring and solenoid.
Rebuilt vrs New

A little history:
Even after I replaced the ignition switch, the battery and the starter. I had a few slow cranking times. So I decided to try and do something about it. I admit I 'm a sucker for new fangled ideas from time to time so laugh if you must. This is no carnie snake oil solution. It works....

I went out to ebay and picked up one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=46101

Now before some of you burst from the seams laughing until you turn blue, AND I hope you DIE!
Back to being serious, I had a Miles moment....laugh.gif

Let me queue you in on my findings. I did the install as in the directions. Popped my ass in the seat and hit the key. Before without the relay setup it would crank over, but as you know not with the vigor you would expect from a new car. Now when I hit the key it cranks strong. I even notice that when I have had a few of those times, when the car used to get a wild hair up it's ass during my tweaking periods and not fire over quickly
(usually do to a operator headspace error)"Well shit! I left that wire off AGAIN!" smash.gif
Now it is dummy proof , the little fucher turns over like a champ even when it is hot.

Hey what do you have to loose? I spent the bucks to try it out and this was my outcome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.