Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Anyone know of a relaxing place to stay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
My wife and I are looking to take a mini-vacation for a couple nights, on the way to Mountain Center (sorta south east of LA). We live in Los Osos, which is about 1.5 hours up the coast from Santa Barbara. We were planning to stay at Zaca Lake, but it got damaged from the big rains.

Does anyone know of anyplace similar? Off the beaten path, private cabins, etc. are all plusses. Of course it can't be too expensive either. I never would have found out about Zaca Lake if I hadn't been told.. I figure there must be other relatively unknown places like that around. (Zaca Lake is a wonderful place, I highly reccomend it once they finish repairs)
415PB
Are you talking about Mountain Center, Ca as in up by Highway 74 and Highway 243?
bondo
That's the one!
bondo
I should add that we're willing to go out of the way, as long as it isn't TOO far. smile.gif
ematulac
Lake Cuyamaca has always been one of my favorites.

The entire town of Cuyamaca and a good portion of the park was damaged during the Cedar fire, but it looks like they will be taking reservations for the cabins beginning 4/1 (click the link for reservations).

I've never stayed in the cabins, so I can't vouch for the amenties there. However, I can vouch for relaxing. In my younger days I would drive up there to enjoy the curvy mountain roads leading up to the park. Then I'd rent a little motor boat for the day, drop a line in the lake and nap in the boat with a 6-pack and some snacks. Or, I'd find a nice quiet spot in one of the many nearby streams and lay in the water watching the carp and the crawfish swim by. There are also tons of trails for hiking and horseback riding, and the scenic Sunrise Highway is a must. The views from some of the lookout points are spectacular, rivaled only by the Grand Canyon in my experiences.

The town of Julian is also nearby, and if you have the time and the inclination, the trip up to Palomar Observatory is pretty relaxing. Palomar State Park has got to be one of the quietest places I've ever been to in California.

A great place to go joy riding in the 914. I can't believe I haven't taken the 914 there yet. This might be the year, though. smile.gif

redshift
Riot Hyatt! Hollywood! WOOHOO!! 10th floor, throw TVs out der winder, they are used to it!

smile.gif

M
Howard
Jeesh, Bondo. I go to Los Osos for that! And never mention Z*c* Lake on any public forum. Very few of us know about it biggrin.gif

Nothing inexpensive I know about comes close.
415PB
The San Bernardino National Forest runs right through there. Plenty of cabins and such. Check out Idyllwild. It's a very nice mountain town. Call me if you need anything while your up in that area. Pm me for contact info.

Lou W
415PB   Posted on Mar 10 2005, 04:31 PM The San Bernardino National Forest runs right through there. Plenty of cabins and such. Check out Idyllwild. It's a very nice mountain town. Call me if you need anything while your up in that area. Pm me for contact info.

Yah, Idywilds not bad, check out here:

Idylwild Chamber of Commerce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.