Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: two dash wires. where they go?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
my car is a 1975.

these wires have skinny connectors.

thanks.
Dave_Darling
From the 74 diagram, because it's on-line at Pelican--

Red/white is easy; it should carry switched power. Most of the gauges are powered by a red/white wire.
The one you label "blue green" looks to be green/yellow, but I don't see any wires of that color in the wiring diagram. It could have been added, but it sure looks pretty factory. Dunno what to say there.
Black/yellow should be in the brake light circuit; it would come from the fuse box, go to the switch on the pedal cluster, then run to the lights. It shouldn't have anything to do with the gauge cluster from what I can see.

I hope that helps some.

--DD
JeffBowlsby
Maybe this helps?

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Elect_DashGauges.jpg
ejm
Fairly certain those wires with the 1/8" wide terminals are for the egr/cat warning lights that cars in some markets had beginning in '75. Even thought the car didn't have the emissions stuff the harnesses had the wiring.
JeffBowlsby
For 75-76 there were two versions of the chassis harness - CA-market that had the EGR/CAT wiring and 49-state which did not.
ejm
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 10 2015, 11:00 PM) *

For 75-76 there were two versions of the chassis harness - CA-market that had the EGR/CAT wiring and 49-state which did not.

I've seen lots of cars with the emissions wiring that never had the counter box or other components. There are several threads here where people ask about the wiring in the passenger footwell or by the left tail light.
Dave_Darling
OK, back at home. The diagram labeled "Additional current flow diagram California, Type 914, Model 75" shows a blue/yellow wire. It goes from the catalyst relay, to the catalyst mileage counter, to the CAT light in the dash.

It also shows a black/yellow wire that goes to the EGR light from the EGR counter.

And it shows a red/white wire that goes to both of those lights, providing power to them. (The other wires apparently provide the ground for the light to turn it on.)

So there you go, your wires are indeed for the EGR and CAT lights. Just as Ed and Jeff were saying.

--DD
jimkelly
awesomwe guys aktion035.gif

thank you beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
Brainiacs...
Elliot Cannon
This has helped my to track down and identify wiring. I downloaded and printed a color diagram. (For my '73). I printed it, took it to a blue print shop and had it enlarged 20X30, laminated, then mounted on the garage wall. I have gone to this diagram many times, found it very helpful and the large size makes it easy to read with my soon to be 70 year old eyes. biggrin.gif It was a bit of work and the lamination was more expensive than I thought but electricity still remains VooDoo and magic to me so it was worth it. laugh.gif
Cheers, Elliot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.