Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling 914Rubber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timothy_nd28
You've done a exemplary job reproducing/improving much needed parts for our beloved 914. I feel that our car is fairly well engineered from the factory with the exception of the silly stationary vent window. It sure would be nice to angle these windows while driving on a hot summer day.

I understand this project would be one hell of a undertaking as this conversion kit would need to keep the car looking original, and has to be under 1k.

Can this be done?
mepstein
Another option, and Dion has it on his car, are vents in the window. I thought about mating a pair with some plexiglass windows. I like the look and pretty simple to reproduce.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 10 2015, 05:35 PM) *

Another option, and Dion has it on his car, are vents in the window. I thought about mating a pair with some plexiglass windows. I like the look and pretty simple to reproduce.

Nice, i am thinking of that since last month to have a fresh cool air to get in the car.
JoeDees
Retrofit the mechanisms from a VW?
Mikey914
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Nov 10 2015, 05:25 PM) *

You've done a exemplary job reproducing/improving much needed parts for our beloved 914. I feel that our car is fairly well engineered from the factory with the exception of the silly stationary vent window. It sure would be nice to angle these windows while driving on a hot summer day.

I understand this project would be one hell of a undertaking as this conversion kit would need to keep the car looking original, and has to be under 1k.

Can this be done?

Yes possible. I can do this with a tempered glass. It will require some machining, but I would love to see any pictures of what guys have done. I have a few ideas of my own, but show me I'm open all ideas.
Mark
barrym
A shaped plexiglass replacement - lighter and gives options for many different types of vent ... Naca duct for track rats !
EdwardBlume
You know that your car is a targa right? av-943.gif
mbseto
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 12 2015, 08:35 AM) *

+1 Driving with the top on feels a little like a betrayal.
blackmoon
QUOTE(mbseto @ Nov 12 2015, 08:51 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 12 2015, 08:35 AM) *

+1 Driving with the top on feels a little like a betrayal.

sometimes you need a little shade and air at the same time biggrin.gif
Dion
Primary reason was for some ventilation in addition to the anemic fan
just to circulate air. Especially during hot humid downpours when
having the windows down a bit just let a current of water in.
It's not a tremendous amount of air, just enough.
Plus I think it adds a little "Rallycar" vibe.
timothy_nd28
An example of a non-stationary vent window biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
hqbibb
I've wanted this ever since I got mine back in '74. Color me interested.
db9146
Here's another part request.....

What about replacement "large, flat, philips-head screws" (really just plugs) that fill the holes (2) for the center cushion lap belts at the inside rear of the seats in the floor? There are two large black plastic philiphead screws about the size of a quarter and they have large black plastic washers underneath them. I have yet to be able to remove one without tearing it up.
alfadoc
It seems creating the forms for the vent window seals might be the most complicated part. Very cool idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.