Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Realy Board "post"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sdoolin
I had to change out the relay board that came in my car for one of the spares that I got with the deal - fixed a fuel pump issue I was having.

But - the board that I am using does not have the threaded insert for the post that secures the relay board cover and - I cannot sort out how to remove that threaded insert from the board that came in the car. Looks like I almost have to cut it out, or somehow otherwise damage the board to remove it?

Any/all help appreciated.
JeffBowlsby
Cover just slips on. Post/nut not needed or recommended.
sdoolin

Thanks for the reply, but with all due respect sir Bowlsby (not being flip - I really mean it) I'd like to utilize the post/nut. My cover isn't perfect and just slipping it on does not secure it. I have reinforced the area of the cover under the nut with a small thin gauge bit of sheet aluminum to provide better "bite" for the nut.

Certainly someone has been down this road before? I don't want to destroy the "bad" relay board that still contains the threaded insert if at all possible.
JeffBowlsby
Embedded nut cannot come out without destroying the board, its cast in place. Trade your board for another that has the nut.
sdoolin
Dang it. I have 2 other spares and yet neither have the cast in nut?

Thanks so much, I guess I will get more creative...
914Sixer
Check the hardware bins at Lowe's or Home Depot. You might find something to be creative with.
bandjoey
1/8" thick bunji cord. String. Epoxy a nut to the board. Etc. looks do count as well as function. beerchug.gif
whitetwinturbo
This is post is just nutty............happy VET day flag.gif
Dave_Darling
Drill and heli-coil?

--DD
JamesM
QUOTE(sdoolin @ Nov 11 2015, 02:01 PM) *

Thanks for the reply, but with all due respect sir Bowlsby (not being flip - I really mean it) I'd like to utilize the post/nut. My cover isn't perfect and just slipping it on does not secure it. I have reinforced the area of the cover under the nut with a small thin gauge bit of sheet aluminum to provide better "bite" for the nut.

Certainly someone has been down this road before? I don't want to destroy the "bad" relay board that still contains the threaded insert if at all possible.

Why replace the board again, just find a better cover.
EdwardBlume
Plastic bag and wonder bread tie clip. When you hear it get sucked into the fan.. reapply. av-943.gif

Actually, I agree that having a cover is more of the point.
sdoolin
Thanks everyone. I like the drill/helicoil and the epoxy a nut in place ideas. I also (strangely) like the plastic bag and tie wrap idea simply because of the sucked into the fan comment.

Good stuff.

I will either helicoil or epoxy a nut, depending on what I find out in the shop...
sdoolin
So I very carefully epoxied a nut onto the cover post holder on the board (JB Weld). Seems very solid - and I even dabbed a little flat black paint on it so as not to be completely obvious. Works well and with my reinforced cover, things are nice and snug.

Now (of course) the car won't start. Fuel guage snaps to full when key on (the tank is full), alternator light glows red, but the fuel pump does not cycle and I get a faint click when I try start the thing.

Sheesh...
bandjoey
When I do something like that it's usually a simple "I forgot" to reinstall something. Regulator or harness plugged in tight or ?.
Tom
I superglued in an insert, sorry I can't remember where I got the insert. Measured the dia. of the insert, drilled out the hole slightly larger, and set it in with Loctite gel control superglue. It isn't so runny and is easier to work with. Great for gluing on cue tips on pool cues also.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.