Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KOT- "Porsh" or "Porsh-uh"?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wrpspddrvr
So which is it guys: "Porsh" or "Porsh-uh"? How's it pronounced? The commercials say "Porsh-uh", but I've heard people fighting both ways..... Let's hear it from the experts!

Cole monkeydance.gif
RAR
Two syllables.
Qarl
Volks-wagen

Cap'n Krusty
Think about it. Porsche pronounces it "Porsh-uh" in their own advertising, which one presumes they review before it hits the airwaves. One would think they knew how to pronounce their own name, and would see to it their ad agency does, too ............. Mispronunciation of the name is a sign of lack of knowledge at best, and a slap in the face at worst. The Cap'n
Hawktel
The good thing is this is the 914 board. Hell only 1/2 of porschedom even considers us a real porsche, and the other 1/2 is embarassed we exist.

So, whats that mean? You can pronounce it anyway you want.
Qarl
Actually, Cap'n... there was an on the Porsche website (I think a year or so ago). It was more of a movie you could watch...

It featured a little boy daydreaming outside the school window at an early 911.... the boy grows up and gets his 911 finally..

Anyways... the narrator in the piece said Porsh.... I remember everybody commeting about it on the 911 little winky board.

But, I agree.. it is Por-sha....

bondo
I always thought of "porsh" as a shortening of "porsh-a", not an alternative pronunciation. Kinda like "Chevy" and "Chevrolet".
Qarl
I was wrong... this video was correct.... that or they fixed it...

Here's a link....cool nonetheless...

http://www.997-2pvra-ils.com/ebuscard/
Hammy
DER FULKZVAGON PORSHUH smilie_pokal.gif

http://german.about.com/library/media/soun...und/words_a.mp3
phantom914
Since the 914 is only half a Porsche, we should only pronounce half the syllables when we are refering to a Porsch(e) 914.

Andrew
davep
Two syllables if you want to get any respect.
IronHillRestorations
It's a family name OK? The family pronounces the name "por shuh", and by coincidence so does everyone that works at the factory in Germany where they build the cars (or some of them anyway).

Does anyone pronounce Chevrolet with a T at the end? No, everyone would look at you like you are some kind of dork.

If someone doesn't pronounce it right, I don't correct them, but if they ask me the correct pronounciation I tell them.

To me, that's the difference between being a Porsche jerk, and enthusiast.

People mispronounce words all the time.
ThinAir
Porsh-uh, not only because it's a family name and that's how the family/company say it, but simply because it's German. There is no such thing as a silent "e" at the end of a word in German - it is always pronounced.

My German is pretty rusty, but if I recall correctly the only silent vowels in German are when you have two vowels together- then the fist one makes the second one have a long vowel sound.

Just because Volkswagen chooses not to use the correct pronounciation of FolksVagen doesn't mean the rest of the German auto industry follows suite.
Elliot_Cannon
The people who pronounce it Porsh, bought the car because they think they look good in it and problably pay someone to change their oil for them.
Elliot
bd1308
QUOTE (ErnieDV @ Mar 10 2005, 10:21 PM)
Porsh-uh, not only because it's a family name and that's how the family/company say it, but simply because it's German. There is no such thing as a silent "e" at the end of a word in German - it is always pronounced.

yup....no silent anythings in german IMO....
bjorn jacobson
A buddy of mine from Switzerland and his bro were checking out pics of my car. Abe speaks english and his brother dosn't. As they were looking Abe's brother says, "Yah, Favay Porshay, ser gut!" I thougt that would be a great bumper sticker.
BJ
bd1308
QUOTE (bjorn jacobson @ Mar 10 2005, 10:36 PM)
A buddy of mine from Switzerland and his bro were checking out pics of my car. Abe speaks english and his brother dosn't. As they were looking Abe's brother says, "Yah, Favay Porshay, ser gut!" I thougt that would be a great bumper sticker.
BJ

LOL that would be awesome...pm me if you ever make that happen...i'll buy one
Joe Bob

Ty-nee Peee-ness (Latin)

Lit-tel wee-ner (Murican)

cool_shades.gif

Bottom line...who cares....
wrpspddrvr
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 10 2005, 11:45 PM)

Ty-nee Peee-ness (Latin)

Lit-tel wee-ner (Murican)

cool_shades.gif

Bottom line...who cares....

LOL, my carpool mate and I were joking about that today. We were parked next to one another talking, and some chick made a comment about our little girly cars. My friend said "Hey, we don't HAVE to compensate!" lol2.gif

Maybe ya' had ta' be there.... dry.gif monkeydance.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 10 2005, 06:02 PM)
Think about it. Porsche pronounces it "Porsh-uh" in their own advertising, which one presumes they review before it hits the airwaves. One would think they knew how to pronounce their own name, and would see to it their ad agency does, too ............. Mispronunciation of the name is a sign of lack of knowledge at best, and a slap in the face at worst. The Cap'n

agree.gif

the "e" in Porsche is not silent. it is pronounced "Porsh-uh" ...

same goes for "Fuchs" and "Bilstein".
i *hate* it when people don't pronounce it right (and they don't all the time) ...

must be the smilie_flagge6.gif in me ...
idea.gif Andy
Joe Bob
We only do it to piss ya off.... smile.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 10 2005, 11:00 PM)
We only do it to piss ya off.... smile.gif

schanks, that makes me feel warm and fuzzy ....

grouphug.gif Andy
Hammy
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 10 2005, 10:56 PM)

same goes for "Fuchs" and "Bilstein".
i *hate* it when people don't pronounce it right (and they don't all the time) ...

must be the  :gerflag:  in me ...
idea.gif  Andy

So how do you pronounce Fuch Andy?
Andyrew
Fooshes

If I remember right..

but I still pronouce it fuks
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (Hammy @ Mar 10 2005, 11:04 PM)

fooooks
redshift
Fooox, Pour-sha..

I never heard the word 'Poursh' until around 1983, it's a Yuppiepean word that means 911 SC.

M
SirAndy
QUOTE (Hammy @ Mar 10 2005, 11:04 PM)

"Fuchs" is pronounced "fooks", just like books with an f ...

"Bilstein" is pronounced "Beel sch tye n", tye like bye in bye bye or like tie ...

in german, "ei" is pronounced like the english "ye" or "ie",
the english "e" is the same pronunciation as the german "i".

this can be very confusing at times ...
cool.gif Andy
bd1308
my german teacher was a pot smoker....so we never did anything. I had 4 years of that class, and know only Die Loreli(sp) and the Our Father in german....and that's impressive for what we did do in class. I wish i had learned more sad.gif
bondo
QUOTE (redshift @ Mar 11 2005, 07:09 AM)
Fooox, Pour-sha..

I never heard the word 'Poursh' until around 1983, it's a Yuppiepean word that means 911 SC.

M

lol2.gif chairfall.gif
phantom914
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 11 2005, 08:46 AM)
in german, "ei" is pronounced like the english "ye" or "ie",

this can be very confusing at times ...
cool.gif Andy

To be more clear, the German "ei" is pronounced like the Englisch word "eye" or the letter"i".

Andrew
SirAndy
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 11 2005, 08:52 AM)
Die Loreli(sp)

"Die Loreley"

funny that you mention that, i grew up only about 20 miles away from that spot, up in the hills surrounding the river Rhein ...

here's a link to the official website ...
http://www.loreley.de/

click on "Astudin" to see a couple of great paintings by "Nikolai von Astudin"

click here for a lot of photos of the area ...
http://www.loreley.de/loreley/Default.htm

makes me wanna take a vacition!
biggrin.gif Andy
bd1308
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 11 2005, 11:08 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 11 2005, 08:52 AM)
Die Loreli(sp)

"Die Loreley"

funny that you mention that, i grew up only about 20 miles away from that spot, up in the hills surrounding the river Rhein ...

here's a link to the official website ...
http://www.loreley.de/

click on "Astudin" to see a couple of great paintings by "Nikolai von Astudin"

click here for a lot of photos of the area ...
http://www.loreley.de/loreley/Default.htm

makes me wanna take a vacition!
biggrin.gif Andy

I heard from my german teacher that EVERY german child knows that poem by heart....
SirAndy
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 11 2005, 09:11 AM)
I heard from my german teacher that EVERY german child knows that poem by heart....

naaa, but i know where to look it up!

i didn't have time to learn poems, i was busy chasing girls ...
biggrin.gif Andy
bd1308
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 11 2005, 11:16 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 11 2005, 09:11 AM)

naaa, but i know where to look it up!

i didn't have time to learn poems, i was busy chasing girls ...
biggrin.gif Andy

i dont know it either....the german teacher's daughter was HOT though....i mean real Hot! the german teacher had a 2002 Audi A8 too....damn was that awesome
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.