Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early 1972 carpet color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Kansas 914
I have my original carpet but it is trashed. I have compared it to charcoal samples sent from Mark at 914Rubber. It is very hard to tell what color the original was due to condition.

Is it possible my original carpet was something other than charcoal, maybe black?
Tom_T
Your COA(s) should give you a color code for the interior & #11 was black. Not sure which 914 you're talking about, from your sig. list.

Also check Jeff Bowlsby's website documents pages for the other color code for Charcoal, but IIRC 72 was only black, tan, dark tan & brown for the carpets. His interiors pages also shows color samples for the various years.

In addition to 914rubber, Lakewell.com in Europe (Belgium??) also sells good quality German 914 carpet sets, as well as Autos International in Vista CA & World Upholstery in Ventura CA area, & another group in the PNW advertises in PCA's Panorama &/or Excellence - for a range of the sources out there.

FYI - I heard from several 914ers that the domestic material doesn't hold up as well to use as the German, one guy having to get new carpet after just a year or so, who went with the Lakwell stuff & it held up AFAIK still.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 11 2015, 02:31 PM) *

Your COA(s) should give you a color code for the interior & #11 was black. Not sure which 914 you're talking about, from your sig. list.

Also check Jeff Bowlsby's website documents pages for the other color code for Charcoal, but IIRC 72 was only black, tan, dark tan & brown for the carpets. His interiors pages also shows color samples for the various years.

In addition to 914rubber, Lakewell.com in Europe (Belgium??) also sells good quality German 914 carpet sets, as well as Autos International in Vista CA & World Upholstery in Ventura CA area, & another group in the PNW advertises in PCA's Panorama &/or Excellence - for a range of the sources out there.

FYI - I heard from several 914ers that the domestic material doesn't hold up as well to use as the German, one guy having to get new carpet after just a year or so, who went with the Lakwell stuff & it held up AFAIK still.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks Tom!

I put the vehicle in the title of the thread but I should have put it in the body of the message. It is an early 1972.

I looked at the C of A and it states Black Leatherette/12.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 11 2015, 03:00 PM) *

I have my original carpet but it is trashed. I have compared it to charcoal samples sent from Mark at 914Rubber. It is very hard to tell what color the original was due to condition.

Is it possible my original carpet was something other than charcoal, maybe black?

Mike,
There was never a black carpet in 1972 (or other years that I'm aware of). There were two grades of charcoal carpet used in '72. One was basic (called "mouse fuzz") and was the carpet used in non-appearance group cars. App group cars had a higher grade, short loop carpet (Perlon, as I recall). It makes a difference.

Later '72 cars with app grp also had a headliner made from the "mouse fuzz".
Pat
Tom_T
That's Black interior with Courdoroy seat inserts for #12 - scroll down in pic below....

IPB Image

Found here:
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Manuals.htm

Fabric Samples are here:
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm
....unfortunately you can't go by the pix for true color, since the fabrics have faded on the brochures + camera & display screen variations. Pile carpet #701 could be charcoal or black, plus you could've ordered the other missing color from those too.
IPB Image

See if you can find a part number tag with the p/n &/or the color code on one of the carpet pieces to home in on the actual carpet color in there, plus areas of carpet which were protected from sunlight with overlapping or another part may also give you a truer color - even if aged by 43 years.

Also be aware that - per Rick Perkins, PCNA's service district director (or sim. title) who worked at local SoCal dealerships in the 1960's-80's - that they could put 2 914s side-by-side & do a complete interior change-out for a customer request in about 45 mins.! blink.gif

Bowlsby's 914 home page is here:
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

I'm not finding his section with the sales documents for the other MY charts for part/color numbers for the various interior & carpet combinations which you could order, that I'd used to correct PCNA when calling my 73's #31 Black/Basketweave - instead of correctly Beige/Basketweave. You might email him to see if he has them handy, as he may have dropped or be still working on thagt section, if he has modified the site's sub-sections, migrated to a new server or something similar.

Unfortunately my old laptop with it saved died & I haven't transitioned the HDD info over to my new one yet, otherwise I'd just put that jpg here for you. dry.gif

Another great source for this info is p914.com by another member on here.

Take some time some evening/weekend to peruse all of the sections & goodies in those websites sometimes - it's amazing! blink.gif

You could also call or email George Hussey at Auto Atlanta, who might know exactly right off-hand if it were either or both, since he's a wealth of knowledge being around 914s since about day one.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 11 2015, 03:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 11 2015, 03:00 PM) *

Mike,
There was never a black carpet in 1972 (or other years that I'm aware of). There were two grades of charcoal carpet used in '72. One was basic (called "mouse fuzz") and was the carpet used in non-appearance group cars. App group cars had a higher grade, short loop carpet (Perlon, as I recall). It makes a difference.

Pat

Mike - Pat would know, since he has a 72 & is our Originality Mod & expert!
...Charcoal it is!

Pat - they called the cheaper carpet Perlon in the USA/UK-CN & the higher end loop pile was called that or Velour, as in the pic I posted from Jeff's website in the post above.

PS - in that pic it looks more like a Perlon mouse fuzz type & different texture than the 2 loop pile samples' pix above it in Brown (top) & Beige/Tan (middle) - both of which colors are waaaay off to me!

Thanx Pat! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Kansas 914

Mike,

Pat

...Charcoal it is!

Thanx Pat! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks you guys are the best.

I have owned the car since 1978 and am the second owner so not a lot has changed other than age. The car did come with appearance group (fog lights, center cushion and chrome bumpers) so I think the loop is correct and the worn out sample would corroborate this (it definitely is not the mouse fuzz as was used in the headliner).

The car is getting close to completion and the interior is one of the last things needed.

Here it is in 1978:
Click to view attachment

And here it is today:
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 12 2015, 08:14 AM) *

Mike,

Pat

...Charcoal it is!

Thanx Pat! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks you guys are the best.

I have owned the car since 1978 and am the second owner so not a lot has changed other than age. The car did come with appearance group (fog lights, center cushion and chrome bumpers) so I think the loop is correct and the worn out sample would corroborate this (it definitely is not the mouse fuzz as was used in the headliner).

The car is getting close to completion and the interior is one of the last things needed.

Here it is in 1978:
Click to view attachment

And here it is today:
Click to view attachment

Sir Mike, nice 2nd owner since 78 and that is a real beauty and a Gem!

Kansas 914
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Nov 12 2015, 09:29 AM) *

Thank you sir. It is getting there. Hopefully I will take it to Route 66 get together in April 2016.

While it isn't a Concurs car (powdercoated suspension, stainless gas lines, turbo tie-rod ends and other non-stock items) it is VERY close to the untrained eye. The original FI 1.7L is going back in as well as the Blaupunkt Blue Dot radio!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Mike - FYI - for most PCA Concours events the originality doesn't come into play for judging - only at the national Parade Concours, & then only when there's a close score between 2 cars.

PCA Zone level Concours are basically about condition, detailing & preparation - which your CO zone should have rules & other stuff online. Also our Zone 8 has a library of how to downloads at this link below, which are applicable to & used by other zones.

Bottom line, if you're so inclined to enter this or any 914 in a local CO PCA Concours with the PCA, don't hesitate, cuz the PC, turbo-tie-rods, SS lines, etc. won't matter.

http://www.zone8.org/events/format/concours.php

Have at it - if you like! ...before your 914 gets dirty.
... I think you'd do very well, plus reacquaint the local PCA folks with our 914s! smile.gif

PM me if you need any other info on this or carpets, as I'm going off notice for this thread now, since I think we got you the carpet answers.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
ndfrigi
Drive the 72 willow green to west coast? No sir! Preserve that GEM to local events around your area and just drive the 74 red wide body or the 75 red with Cali Bumper. My kids usually tells me to paint my 75 to Red since it is my favorite color and the 71 to green-wife favorite color.

Again, the more you share pictures of the 72 the more we 914world member appreciate the beauty of it.

God Bless!

Noel
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 12 2015, 11:54 AM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Nov 12 2015, 09:29 AM) *

Thank you sir. It is getting there. Hopefully I will take it to Route 66 get together in April 2016.

While it isn't a Concurs car (powdercoated suspension, stainless gas lines, turbo tie-rod ends and other non-stock items) it is VERY close to the untrained eye. The original FI 1.7L is going back in as well as the Blaupunkt Blue Dot radio!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

VERY nicely done!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 15 2015, 08:18 PM) *

VERY nicely done!

Quite the compliment coming from you - cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.