Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Reflector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFix
Do any parts stores sell the 914 rear reflector panel any more? I've searched the web but haven't had any success. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks.
xsboost90
ill sell ya mine for $200 wink.gif
bondo
You can cut down a 911 one to fit. There was never a factory 914 one. They are either aftermarket or cut down 911 ones. The 911 ones seem to be better quality, but look kinda funny because you have to cut through the reflectors on either side of the "PORSCHE".
jim912928
saw one hit ebay the other day....914 one not a cut down 911. If you get one, you have to get engman's rear trunk cable system...it's the only way to do it!
xsboost90
yeah mine is a cut down one w/ a heavy duty trunk popper. Funny story, when i bought the car it came w/ a perfect extra reflector panel...i sold it to someone my first week on here for $20.... ohmy.gif
ChrisFix
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Mar 10 2005, 07:11 PM)
saw one hit ebay the other day....914 one not a cut down 911. If you get one, you have to get engman's rear trunk cable system...it's the only way to do it!

It was Engman's cable that I saw in the classifieds that got me interested in getting a reflector. I like the look, but didn't want to deal with a fussy electric latch.
Tom73
Auto Atlanta expects to have them back in stock in April. First they said January, but when that passed they said April.
Joe Bob
They're in the secret wharehouse....
bjorn jacobson
I have one in excellent condition with solenoid I'll sell for half of what AA sells new ones for and throw in shipping.
BJ
skline
I am using Engmans rear trunk release and a cut down Ghost 911 reflector on the Chalon. Way cool. smile.gif
ChrisFix
QUOTE (bjorn jacobson @ Mar 10 2005, 10:23 PM)
I have one in excellent condition with solenoid I'll sell for half of what AA sells new ones for and throw in shipping.
BJ

I sent you a PM.
Thanks,
bjorn jacobson
Her ya go.
SirAndy
QUOTE (bjorn jacobson @ Mar 11 2005, 09:43 PM)
Her ya go.

yupp, i like them early 911 cut down to fit *MUCH* better than the way too dark aftermarket ones ...

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
redshift
I have a rare original one. huh.gif

I bought is offffff EEEEEEBAAAAAAY.

M
bjorn jacobson
Andy,
Is that a cut 911 reflector? Wondering because I got it with the car when I bought it about eight years ago. Sent Chris a PM letting him know this part is 914 specific.
Just want to make sure I have my sh*t straight.
Thanks,
BJ

Chris,
Sorry if this isn't the part you are looking for, didn't want to steer you wrong. If you want I can send pics of it on the car. It fits correctly and looks good when on the car.
ChrisFix
BJ,

Thanks for the picture - it looks very nice. I don't know the difference between the 911 reflector cut down to fit and the 914 aftermarket relectors - so you could have fooled me!

Are the 914 aftermarket reflectors really darker/different than the OEM 911 ones?

I sent you a PM as well.

Thanks!
TheCabinetmaker
Yes the 914 specific reflectors are different from the 911 ones. They are darker, and DO NOT reflect. Even at night with headlights on them(at least the ones I have seen). The 914 ones will have the black border all the way around. the cut done 911 units will not have the black border on the ends, like the one in Bjorn's pic.
ChrisFix
Great information. Thanks to all who replied to this thread. I've said it before, but it bears repeating, this is a great forum! clap.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Mar 10 2005, 08:13 PM)
yeah mine is a cut down one w/ a heavy duty trunk popper. Funny story, when i bought the car it came w/ a perfect extra reflector panel...i sold it to someone my first week on here for $20.... ohmy.gif

I got my 1st 914 for free...had a brand new rear reflector kit in the trunk, sold the reflector for $75 and the trunk opening kit for $25 smile.gif
Mueller
how well do those reflectors (OEM 911 and aftermarket 914) follow the curve of the rear trunk?

from the picture above, it looks like the reflector has a curve to it.....
bjorn jacobson
I havn't seen any others up close but the one I have fits the 914 verry well. I wouldn't have known that it wasn't made for the car if someone hadn't informed me. The reflector is fairly flexable and has six nuts on the back to fasten it to the car. When it's installed it really does have a stock appearance
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 12 2005, 10:13 AM)
from the picture above, it looks like the reflector has a curve to it.....

they do, but they will flatten out when mounted. as mentioned above, the aftermarket ones don't reflect and are much darker. the 911 ones are real reflectors. you can tell them apart really easy as the 911 ones were cut on both ends right through the slightly lighter reflector parts (see the pic on page one), the aftermarket ones are all one (flat) color ...

wink.gif Andy
db9146
Anybody else have a reflector ans solenoid they want to sell?

Email me photos and price, please.
MecGen
Electric solinoids are crap
I will give you mine in a couple days, did the engman
cable kit.
I never got the thing working rite
Good luck
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif

PS:I got the jobber one at Automotion about 10 years back and love it, I see people behind me check it out ,then speed up to see watthehell it looks like.
JeffBowlsby
Think REAL carefully before you mount one and drill holes through your car.

Why is it that EVERY new 914 owner seems to want one of these aftermarket bolt ons? (rhetorical question)

I wanted one and had one for awhile, so I sorta understand...sold it...used double stick tape so no holes...and now I like the stock no reflector look MUCHO better...

Seems like you have to NOT have a rear reflector to be different as a 914 owner these days...

confused24.gif
Mueller
Why is it that EVERY new 914 owner seems to want one of these aftermarket bolt ons? (rhetorical question)

911 envy smile.gif ....I've got a Porsche and I want everyone to know it, hahahaha
ChrisFix
In my case, I've had my 914 for 9 years, so it's not a new owner thing. I have a small dent on that panel, and thought a nice reflector would look good and be less intrusive and cheaper than paint and body work, plus a little change is always good! I like the idea of mounting it with something that is reversable, as I hate to poke holes in the sheet metal.

Plus in North Carolina I almost never see any 914s of any kind...
markb
Dad's Car already has the holes. sad.gif I just picked up a pretty good reflector for $45.00. I haven't decided to go electric or not, but no matter what way I go, I'll have a cable routed behind the bumper just in case. smile.gif
jd74914
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 12 2005, 06:09 AM)
Yes the 914 specific reflectors are different from the 911 ones. They are darker, and DO NOT reflect. Even at night with headlights on them(at least the ones I have seen). The 914 ones will have the black border all the way around. the cut done 911 units will not have the black border on the ends, like the one in Bjorn's pic.

Isn't that a good thing. If 914-specific ones don't reflect light others on the road will not be able to see them. Hence the police will not see a bright PORSHE in front of their headlights. happy11.gif Just my highschool reasoning confused24.gif
Steve Thacker
I have the after market unit with the electric opener and I love it. It has never failed to open. Of course I tested the crap out of the opener before I trusted it and mine does reflect a lttle at night. sorry for the glare..
wilchek
This is the one I have. I think this is aftermarket. Anyone know. It came with servo and wiring kit a well. I have not installed it because I am unsure I want to drill holes through the rear metal. If I can sell it for what the ebay one went for, why not. $500 more for the engine build up.

Was anyone else following this, it went for 500.00?????
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
wilchek
servo and wire kit
Series9
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Mar 12 2005, 02:25 PM)
Think REAL carefully before you mount one and drill holes through your car.

..and now I like the stock no reflector look MUCHO better...

agree.gif

Those reflectors are aweful.
db9146
I am using Engmans rear trunk release and a cut down Ghost 911 reflector on the Chalon. Way cool.

Scott, by "ghost reflector" do you mean one off a later model 911? I don't know the part real well but I believe in the late '80s, Porsche changed from a 8-stud mount design to a different method. Is this what you are using? Do you have any photos of what you have and how it attaches or looks on the car?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

StratPlayer
Has anyone ever tried mounting one of these with double sided trim tape? I guess that would mean you would have to cut off the plastic mounting studs so it would fit flush.
ChrisFix
Just as an FYI, I spoke with Greg Treadway of AA a few days ago and was told that they are purchasing the dies from the now defunct company that used to make the 914 reflectors, and expects to be producing it themselves sometime after April with a price target of between $75 - $125 (don't know if that includes the opener).
tat2dphreak
I have a "real" 914 one... but I'm not sure if I am going to install it yet... If I do it will be without drilling the 8(?)+ holes in the rear, I'm thinking some heavy duty adhesive...

I like the reflector... on certain color cars... black or red cars look great with the reflector, other colors are so-so, and some colors are just wrong with the reflector...
BPGREER
Come on guys, doesn't this look nice? cool_shades.gif
Series9
QUOTE (BPGREER @ Mar 15 2005, 08:07 PM)
Come on guys, doesn't this look nice? cool_shades.gif

Exactly! No reflectors!
dlo914
lately, it's dawned upon me that it does look better w/out the reflector. so my situation after removing the reflector i need someone/some place to patch up the holes. i would gladly trade this reflector for some patching up/$$$/Food/i'd say beer but im not 21 Yet dry.gif ... and complete rear trunk lock...here's a pic of the reflector:
dlo914
backing of reflector...
dlo914
asdf...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.