Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: one bank dead
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
74 2.0L. single carb. #4 head had both exhaust studs broken. replaced head, and now it won't hit on three and four.

Its got fire and gas. vlaves have been checked, and rechecked three times. The replacement head came from my personal car that got a new engine last week. I don't believe the head is the problem.

I'm stumped. Anyone got any ideas? What am I overlooking?

TIA, Curt
bondo
Could you have accidentally swapped plug wires on those two cylinders? That would certainly do it.
TheCabinetmaker
Nope! plug wires are correct. That was thought # 2
MattR
Did you do a compression test? Leakdown?

I know this is a silly question, but are the plugs new?

Are you sure you dont have a seized valve? Maybe a bent valve? How did the head look when you put it in?
TheCabinetmaker
Compression is 135 on both cyls. No leakdown. Plugs are new. no bent or siezed valves. This head came from my car. It was completely redone just over a year ago.
MattR
Hmm, it has compression, spark, and fuel? sounds like its over my head. Good luck!

bd1308
QUOTE (MattR @ Mar 10 2005, 09:20 PM)
Hmm, it has compression, spark, and fuel? sounds like its over my head. Good luck!

did you check the plug wires....or maybe the dizzy cap. I had one go out on me b4.
MattR
Why would two cylinders go out? And only when he replaced the head? I dont think its dizzy related... but its always possible.
bd1308
i was getting ready to say the magic word--(trigger points) but i honestly swear your plug wires are crossed.....try to start it with the gas floored. if it pops every so often, your plug wires are crossed. happened to me b4.
TheCabinetmaker
Matt, that is exactly what has me confused.

Britt, thanks, but if you read all my post, the wires ain't crossed and it ain't the diz!! If it fires at the plug, it ain't the diz! Oh, its carbed. It ain't got no trigger points!!!!
bd1308
simmer down man....there is a logical explaination for the problem...sorry I am of no help.....i was just thinking out loud. sorry man sad.gif
Joseph Mills
Curt,

It can only be one of two things:

1. Compression, spark or fuel diagnostics are FLAWED! w00t.gif

2. The magnetic convergence field which hovers over Tulsa is matriculating particulents of the lower participles left brain/right cylinder unsuccessful synapse, resulting in NO SPARK!

I guess I tend to agree with bd1308. It's all about the SPARK! w00t.gif

post script: bd1308, Curt is the simmer man. biggrin.gif
bd1308
speaking of spark.....i like how i can work around the plug wires (and even put my arm next to one) without it shocking the hell outta me. The Jeep always did that hurt like a BEEOTCH
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 10 2005, 11:20 PM)
speaking of spark....

Well, a LOT of what I have come to know about teeners has come from Curt...so I guess in some ways I'm his right brain. Fortunately he still has something that's left. biggrin.gif
skline
Curt, I know this is going to sound stupid but here goes. Did you turn the engine over while looking at the valves move? Did you put the pushrods back in and they seated? When you put the motor together, did you check to make sure you put everything in right? Not saying that you are stupid but we all make mistakes. Go back through and check everything. If you have compression, spark and gas, it should fire, period. Check your wires at both ends too. And your plugs. Good luck and post your findings.
ChrisReale
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 10 2005, 09:41 PM)
If you have compression, spark and gas, it should fire, period.

I agree. Something was overlooked. Go through the steps again and I'll wager that a small issue was overlooked or came up during re-assembly and was missed. You are a smart guy, you'll figure it out
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 10 2005, 11:41 PM)
Curt, I know this is going to sound stupid but here goes. Did you turn the engine over while looking at the valves move? Did you put the pushrods back in and they seated? When you put the motor together, did you check to make sure you put everything in right? Not saying that you are stupid but we all make mistakes. Go back through and check everything. If you have compression, spark and gas, it should fire, period. Check your wires at both ends too. And your plugs. Good luck and post your findings.

skline:

NOPE! That does not sound stuplid. All good comments and observations. I talked to him about the exact same things.

I asked him if there were any "extra" pushrods lying around. biggrin.gif

A good compression check says the valves settings are correct.

Single carb? Most likely no fuel distribution problems in that system.

Although, I must ask... Curt... WHY are you running a single CARB????? laugh.gif

Have you no shame? biggrin.gif

It's gotta be all about the SPARK!
ChrisReale
QUOTE (joseph222 @ Mar 10 2005, 10:20 PM)

Although, I must ask... Curt... WHY are you running a single CARB????? laugh.gif

laugh.gif
skline
QUOTE (joseph222 @ Mar 10 2005, 10:20 PM)
skline:

NOPE! That does not sound stuplid. All good comments and observations. I talked to him about the exact same things.

I asked him if there were any "extra" pushrods lying around. biggrin.gif

A good compression check says the valves settings are correct.

Single carb? Most likely no fuel distribution problems in that system.

It's gotta be all about the SPARK!

Well, you know if there are no pushrods, the valves wont open and the compression would be high. That is why I asked if he looked at the lifters to see if they were moving when he turned the engine over. If they are opening and he has compression, there is no reason why it wont fire except a freak of nature.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 11 2005, 12:26 AM)

there is no reason why it wont fire except a freak of nature.

Could be just that... a freak of nature...

Some say that T-town itself is a "freak of nature".

I have dated several ladies from T-town... some... I have to admit... were freaks of nature... but... they were ladies...

I'm still thinkin' that it's SPARK...

or...

...#2. The magnetic convergence field which hovers over Tulsa is matriculating particulents of the lower participles left brain/right cylinder unsuccessful synapse, resulting in NO SPARK!

just waiting....
TheCabinetmaker
Thanks for all the input guys. They are "all" valid points, but were also all checked already. I watched the valves open and close from the rocker side, and the intakes with the carb runners removed. Everything works as designed. As far as the single carb goes, well, its what he has. We are gathering parts to return to fuel injection, but still lack the brain, wiring harness, fuel rails and injectors.

Theres just no good reason why it won't run right!!! ar15.gif :headbang

:
redshift
Odd... but not the first time something like that's happened.

Try an air filter bypass? wink.gif

I am stumped.

M
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (redshift @ Mar 11 2005, 08:25 AM)

Try an air filter bypass? wink.gif

Did that! Put in new muffler bearing too. biggrin.gif
redshift
laugh.gif

If I were you, I'd start over by yanking most stuff, and doing it over.. it has to be something physical, and obvious... has ta be..

M
TheCabinetmaker
Joseph, thanks for the pic of Edith. I'm sure that will bring the cylindrical quan of the planets back into alignment. screwy.gif
MattR
dont throw on the fuel injection until you get this figured out unless you want another variable in the equation!
TheCabinetmaker
Thanks Edith, the planets are all back in alignment again!!! biggrin.gif

Turned out that the engine tin was stuck between the head and intake manifold causing a a major vacuum leak. Found it when the reinstall of the manifold just didn't feel right. Thanks again to everyone who offered help.

Its Fat tire time!!!! beer.gif beer3.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 11 2005, 02:27 PM)
Thanks Edith, the planets are all back in alignment again!!! biggrin.gif

Its Fat tire time!!!! beer.gif beer3.gif

Anytime. Glad to be of help! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.