Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoring white headlight surrounds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
PancakePorsche
I have typical cruddy, yellowed white headlight surrounds on my repainted car and I want to restore them the best I can.

Painting them would be easy and look o.k. but I know it is kinda frowned upon by the purest because it is not original and I agree.
Any known tricks out there ?
gms
sandblast and paint with Krylon Fusion for Plastic®
Tom_T
I've been told that bleaching them with Clorox will take out some of the yellowing from age. Also same idea with the windshield washer bottle, rear trunk latch cups, etc. in the white or translucent plastic parts. But I've not tried it yet with mine, so can't attest to it's efficacy.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(gms @ Nov 12 2015, 11:28 AM) *

???
media blast them, do not sand blast them & then paint.
gms
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Nov 12 2015, 02:21 PM) *

???

or you could use my time-tested method
Pat Garvey
I've tried two methods:
Bleach - use a 25% solution (or less). Soak for 3-5 days. Rinse, let dry. They will look a lot better but remember - these guys are 43 years old! They won't be bright white again AND the bleach (even diluted) will have a negative affect on the life of the parts. This worked for ONE set for me, but no others.
OR....paint. No, they didn't come this way, but they can look pretty good if done right. Did 2 sets this way(with a lot of prep work). Looked good, but you could tell they were painted.
Choose your poison!
PancakePorsche
Thanks for the tips guys. Since this is not a concours car I will paint them to compliment the new silver finish.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(gms @ Nov 12 2015, 10:28 AM) *

Sandblasting will ruin the original finish!!!! DO NOT DO IT!!!! Painting makes the surface lost. Bleach and leave alone.
Martin Baker
These are painted. using the Krylon plastic primer and Rustoleum Shell White Satin Finish, 7793830 - 12 oz. Spray Looks far better than my original set on my 914/6.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/c...in-enamel-spray
Martin Baker
These are the best originals I have seen. The painted method looks great, if done correctly.
scotty b
Funny this comes up. I was just last night playing with this as Cairo's have been completely rattle canned black. I have about 5 other sets of white surrounds and ALL of them have either been repainted black, grey primer, or body color. My first attempt was with one that had a LOT of red overspray on them. Aircraft remover got the paint off without affecting the surround, but it has a red stained look to it now. I may try Pat's Clorox method on it next, to see if it will remove the stains. I'll try one of the black ones next to see how it fares as the red looked almost like red oxide primer
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 19 2015, 02:38 PM) *

Funny this comes up. I was just last night playing with this as Cairo's have been completely rattle canned black. I have about 5 other sets of white surrounds and ALL of them have either been repainted black, grey primer, or body color. My first attempt was with one that had a LOT of red overspray on them. Aircraft remover got the paint off without affecting the surround, but it has a red stained look to it now. I may try Pat's Clorox method on it next, to see if it will remove the stains. I'll try one of the black ones next to see how it fares as the red looked almost like red oxide primer

The white ones on my '71 are painted black. I heard oxyclean works as well as bleach. I've had ok luck with the windshield washer bottle. It's hard to reverse 45 years of chemical reaction on the plastic. I'm pretty ok with white plastic paint on white plastic. I won't loose sleep at night. I appreciate that Scotty b sweats the details. smile.gif
rhodyguy
Try soaking in '30 Second Cleaner'. Or make your own with bleach and TSP. You MUST completely immerse the cover or the solution will leave a distinct line on the part that's not in the solution. The longer you soak the lighter the cover.
PancakePorsche
Gonna try that !
scotty b
a quick follow up. I stripped one of the painted surrounds I had with aircraft stripper. It got it to a stained white. It looks like the primer and paint bled into the plastic. The next thing I did was to sand a section with 180 grit. It made it better but still slightly discolored. Next step is to try a soak in oxy clean today. I'll get some pics of the sanding I did then the half I soak in Oxy for a day or 2. smile.gif

FWIW the 180 grit let very minor sand scratches and did NOT alter the plastic nor did the aircraft stripper, lacquer thinner, or brake fluid, or brake cleaner ( yeah I tried brake fluid too ) 180 followed by 240, 320 and maybe even 600 grit would probably get it back to the original finish ( Judging by the sets I have here, all of the whites were a smooth finish )
rgalla9146
Sounds like a lot of trouble.
White ones must be out there, what does a good pair they go for ?
sbsix
I couldn't find any three years ago when I started looking for white surrounds for my '70, so I purchased the last two sets from EASY in Emoryville that were not too far gone and were restorable. Bought a gallon of 30 Second Miracle Cleaner too but I haven't got around to trying it yet. It's on my list of things to do soon.
Cairo94507
Thanks Scotty. I would prefer no paint on them if possible. Absent that, a plastic paint that as closely as possible matches the original will have to do.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Nov 12 2015, 03:21 PM) *

???

Agree! Never sand blast these. I wouldn't blast them with anything because they are PLASTIC.Try soaking in 20% sodium hypochloride ( that's concentrated bleach) after they've been hard-core cleaned. Soak for 48 hrs. Some will look brand new...others not. If not, paint the suckers. Ooooh, you could try to powder coat them! JOKE! please disregard!!!!
scotty b
SOooooo I've now tried Oxy clean and bleach ( independently ) in over night soaks, changing the hot water out every couple hours ( once it got cold again ) and a light scrubbing with a plastic bristle knuckle brush, and have not seen ANY change from the initial stripping. I've also sanded with 180 grit. This cleaned a lot of the "staining" up, but still not all gone. Next step is top try soda blasting, but I'm not sure these will ever be completely white again without paint

One of these was black paint directly on the plastic, the other was red oxide primer over spray. I have a couple more that had grey primer, grey primer + black paint etc. I'll try one of the grey primer ones next. Hopefully the staining won't be as bad as the black and red.

You'll see in one pic where I sanded a spot on each and how much of the discoloring that removed, hence my attempt to soda blast next. FWIw the sanding did not fuzz up the plastic, or leave overly harsh scratches. I think if I can find a way to sand off the staining, the housing can be progressively wet sanded back to a smooth OE finish
Martin Baker
I was asked to provide an actual paint code for what I used by PM, and I ened up editing my post as I did NOT use FUSION paint, only Primer. It was a Rustoleum Paint. See link in my previous post.
NeunEinVier
Is it better to use walnut shell or soda media on plastic?
Garland
Started with 3 unpainted very good condition surrounds.
10% bleach, 24 hours.

Untouched set
Click to view attachment

Untouched & bleached.
Click to view attachment

Untouched & bleached,& bleached and 600 scotch bright pad, and light polish.
Click to view attachment

Bleached, 600, polished.
Click to view attachment
Garland
Just noticed that one set has part numbers, I think these were from a 70.
Click to view attachment
bonzer5
Great thread! Motivates me to try and strip the signal orange paint of my original housings!
maddin
Does Acetone affect the type of plastic they used for the housings?
Mine are painted red so I'm about to strip the paint off,acetone works great but I only used it on fiberglass parts.
Thank you :-)
maddin
ok...I thought I'd give it a go and see how sanding works.
Acetone didn't do anything on that paint anyway...
I started with 180 until paint and primer were gone,then 240,400,800,1200 to get it nice and smooth.
The paint hasn't bled into the plastic at all.
It sure takes a while and you could get it even smoother if you put some more time into it,depending on your level of OCD.
Pretty happy with the result but will try paint stripper for plastic and see how that works.
Would it make sense to use clear coat to preserve it, polish,leave as is?
Thank you

IPB Image

close up

IPB Image
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(maddin @ Feb 15 2016, 12:46 AM) *

ok...I thought I'd give it a go and see how sanding works.
Acetone didn't do anything on that paint anyway...
I started with 180 until paint and primer were gone,then 240,400,800,1200 to get it nice and smooth.
The paint hasn't bled into the plastic at all.
It sure takes a while and you could get it even smoother if you put some more time into it,depending on your level of OCD.
Pretty happy with the result but will try paint stripper for plastic and see how that works.
Would it make sense to use clear coat to preserve it, polish,leave as is?
Thank you

IPB Image

close up

IPB Image

I wouldn't clearcoat them. It yellows with time so the problem returns some day. Watch out for that acetone! It is really carcinogenic!
maddin
Hi Pat,
thanks for the reply...I think it'll look good when pollished and without the clear coat. I certainly don't want to sand them down again....almost there!

IPB Image
pete000
To paint or not to paint that is the question... idea.gif

Here are my 914 early head light doors. They are original white plastic and showing some aging (Yellowing).

Paint, or no paint...

I keep hearing they are only original once !
mepstein
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jun 21 2016, 08:51 PM) *

To paint or not to paint that is the question... idea.gif

Here are my 914 early head light doors. They are original white plastic and showing some aging (Yellowing).

Paint, or no paint...

I keep hearing they are only original once !

they look nice. i would leave them as-is. mine were black. bead blasting cleaned them up and paint made them white again but I'm sure they don't look original. Still, I'm happy with the result.
PancakePorsche
Do not paint ! Those are excellent for their age and look right.
1970 Neun vierzehn
pete000,

Do not paint them. Leave them as original and untouched. Embrace the patina biggrin.gif

Here are my untouched '70/4 items.......

Paul
thenewgarage
QUOTE(Garland @ Jan 10 2016, 09:21 AM) *

Bleached, 600, polished.
Click to view attachment

I am curious...what polish did you use?
JmuRiz
+1, did you use plastic polish or some kind of auto-paint polish.

They look great BTW!!!
thenewgarage
Here is after 24 hours of the 10% bleach recipe.

Click to view attachment

I am pretty happy how they came out as is. I will try some polish too - maybe the Meguiars plastic polish.

thenewgarage
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 2 2016, 11:55 AM) *

They look great BTW!!!

I hit them with some Griot's Complete Compound today. Got rid of some light stains and gave them a nice smooth look and finish.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(thenewgarage @ Dec 7 2016, 10:21 PM) *

They look great BTW!!!

I hit them with some Griot's Complete Compound today. Got rid of some light stains and gave them a nice smooth look and finish.

All of you are learning well. They mostly look really good.
thenewgarage
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 17 2016, 05:12 PM) *

QUOTE(thenewgarage @ Dec 7 2016, 10:21 PM) *

They look great BTW!!!

All of you are learning well. They mostly look really good.

Thanks! beerchug.gif
Garland
[quote name='thenewgarage' post='2429196' date='Dec 1 2016, 10:58 AM']
[quote name='Garland' post='2287964' date='Jan 10 2016, 09:21 AM']

Bleached, 600, polished.
Click to view attachment
[/quote]

I am curious...what polish did you

Click to view attachment

600, Automotive finishing polish, with silcone.
But wax is a good idea after.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.