Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine and Engine Room Cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
I have been accused of being a bit anal at times but hell I just spent a bunch of time cleaning up my engine and the engine area and it gets dusty where I live.

Today I did my first valve adj, oil change, dwell, and timing since the 2.0 went in the car. While I was messing around in there I noticed a nice dust layer all over. Over time I'm sure this would turn into a grime layer, and then you get nasty everytime you stick you hands in there. sad.gif

Now on my other two vehicles, a Toyota PU and Land Rover Disco, I just spray them out at the car wash. Just gotta watch the distributor. I don't really feel comfortable doing this with the 914.

So for those of you that do keep your engine clean, what do you do?

I'm gonna go have a beer now. beer3.gif
TimT
Mist it down with Simple Green, then lightly rinse with a hose...start and run immediately after
MarkV
I take mine to the car wash and hose it down like a dirty trailer. biggrin.gif
scotty b
Get rid of it and start on a new car laugh.gif
Simple green or purple stuff+brushing if necessary
Elliot_Cannon
Get rid of the dist. points and that will be two things you won't have to do anymore. It will leave you more time to clean the engine. The Simple Green idea sounds good. Maybe cover your dist. before rinsing.
Cheers, Elliot
boxstr
Castrol Super Concentrate works very good. Spray on leave for 10 minutes and douche off. Works as good as solvent on getting parts clean from greasy grime and dust.
CCLINMRCLEAN
scotty b
QUOTE (boxstr @ Mar 10 2005, 08:05 PM)
Castrol Super Concentrate works very good. Spray on leave for 10 minutes and douche off.

ohmy.gif Does that come in Mountain Mist scent? laugh.gif
Rhodes71/914
Points are going, after doing that today I realized how much I hated doing it on my 74 bus, I think I'm gonna go with a Crane XR700.

I used that Castro Super Clean when I cleaned up the engine initially - it's great stuff. Also have Simple Green - 'cept it's yellow and has a lemony sent, I can't stand the smell of the orig.

Think I'll do some cleanin tonight biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.