Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I've been planning on doing a 6 conversion on my 914, whenever I can find the time to start. Right now I'm looking at next spring (finger cross smilie). I was at my former bosses Tues. setting aside all of my engine pieces so he doesn't use them rolleyes.gif and wanted to find out from you guys that have done this what tranny you used and what you had to do to convert it. I have any (66-83) 911 tranny available, as well as 924,944 and there MAY still be a 928 laying around (we had a storage building broken into 2 years ago and they got away with the 928 engine). Obviously the 911 would be the most logical but I'm curious about the others being used. driving.gif
Joe Bob
Any 911 trans will work....but they turn the wrong way....either flip the ring gear...run the trans upside down or use a 914 trans...

Mounts and mods are needed for the 911 trans that are 915 and above....ya need to be a bit more specific on HP and such....
scotty b
I'm figuring on a 911 trans and assumed the ring gear would be flipped. How about the linkage (clutch and shift) I HAD a set of 3.0 euro sc pistons set aside that he either moved or sold, so right now it is a 2.7S. I made sure he knew not to let them go. E cams, carbs,clean up and match the ports, nothing to radical. I'll be looking at around 210h.p. Depends on how deep my pockets are when I do it! biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
A stock 901/914 trans can handle that....
Root_Werks
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 10 2005, 08:38 PM)
A stock 901/914 trans can handle that....

agree.gif Don't waste your money. Stick with the stock 914/901 trans in this case. just don't go dumping the clutch in 1st gear,,,,,much. biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Or else keep a supply of them. I had a 230+ hp 3.0/6 that I dumped the clutch on all the time.....hey it was fun, paid for and I didn't care.....tossed the cookies only once. Pulled it out, slammed the LSD into another box and was on my way again.
Root_Werks
The white flared one right? I remember that car. driving.gif burnout.gif
d914
use a 70-71 911 case and a 225mm clutch and standard 914 gear set. Reverse pull and bigger clutch in case HP goes up.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif That's what I'm using. Mine's a 911/02. These are the final two model year 901 style tranny's that have a pull type clutch mechanism. In 72 they (911's) switched to 915 tranny's.

I haven't performed the conversion yet but I've got a sideshifter for the parts needed (nose cone, shift rods etc.)
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Mar 11 2005, 08:15 AM)
The white flared one right? I remember that car. driving.gif burnout.gif

Yep...THE ROCKET...sure miss the old guy....

BTW....I still have that 901 trans with a billet plate, LSD and H gear sitting in my garage.... dry.gif

I paid 1200 JUST for the Quaife LSD.....so make an offer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.