Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Raced a Triumph TR6!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wrpspddrvr
EDIT: TR-6, not Spitfire. TR-6!!!! slap.gif

Whaddaya know! My first day with the teener and I get in a vintage race with a TR-6 We met on the way out of my parking lot, and stopped at the light. We were both making a right hand turn, and he was on the inside. When the light turned green, we roared off, with him getting the drop on me at the launch. The pull away from the light was slightly uphill, and neither of us gained any ground on the other. At the top of the hill he backed off, so I got up beside him and gave him the ol' thumbs up. He waved with a smile and turned into a gas station.
It was sweet! I'd always thought that TR-6s had a bit more horsepower than that, but I guess I could be mistaken. I recall seeing they had approx. 150HP?? Oh well, it was fun.

Cole monkeydance.gif
Aaron Cox
werent spitfires about 1500cc? ohmy.gif
wrpspddrvr
Crap! I wrote Spitfire! It was a TR-6! I dunno what I was thinking. i know I got it right at least once.... headbang.gif slap.gif

Cole monkeydance.gif
Aaron Cox
oh... Tr 6-s are at least a six cylinder..... small six right??? 2.5 or less i would venture......
xitspd
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 10 2005, 08:21 PM)
oh... Tr 6-s are at least a six cylinder..... small six right??? 2.5 or less i would venture......

US Version: 2498cc and a max of 104bhp cast iron block....
Gint
The FI TR6s had 150 hp. And they were only sold in Europe. The last of the Spitfires were 1500s.

I'll edit your title. wink.gif
wrpspddrvr
QUOTE (Gint @ Mar 11 2005, 12:22 AM)
The FI TR6s had 150 hp. And they were only sold in Europe. The last of the Spitfires were 1500s.

I'll edit your title. wink.gif

Thanks for the edit!

So it wasn't a TR-6 then? Hmmm. I was sure it was. Looked like every picture I've ever seen of one. confused24.gif
What could it have been? Anything look very similar to the TR-6 and was imported over here?

Cole monkeydance.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (wrpspddrvr @ Mar 10 2005, 10:24 PM)
The FI TR6s had 150 hp.  And they were only sold in Europe.  The last of the Spitfires were 1500s.

I'll edit your title.   wink.gif

Thanks for the edit!

So it wasn't a TR-6 then? Hmmm. I was sure it was. Looked like every picture I've ever seen of one. confused24.gif
What could it have been? Anything look very similar to the TR-6 and was imported over here?

Cole monkeydance.gif

no. he is sayign the 150 hp version was a europe only slap.gif
wrpspddrvr
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 11 2005, 12:26 AM)
QUOTE (wrpspddrvr @ Mar 10 2005, 10:24 PM)
The FI TR6s had 150 hp.  And they were only sold in Europe.  The last of the Spitfires were 1500s.

I'll edit your title.   wink.gif

Thanks for the edit!

Cole monkeydance.gif

no. he is sayign the 150 hp version was a europe only slap.gif

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif I blame it on my 914 sickness. wub.gif

Cole monkeydance.gif

EDIT: PS Maybe we can just pretend it was the 150HP version? Makes my baby feel a little better....
xitspd
Did it have this profile?
Root_Werks
Cole's out there kicken some British ass on his first day! laugh.gif lol2.gif driving.gif I love it! pray.gif

Get that TR6 on some back roads and watch him disapear in your rear view mirror! lol2.gif
TC/914
Four years ago I owned a second owner TR6, fully restored and refurbished to better than new, AND a 71 stock 914. The Porsche was a WAY better car in all regards, faster, more comfortable, better handling, better running, longer legged, everything.

No comparison. Had the "race" continued, you would have had him for lunch! AND enjoyed yourself doing it.

TC
bd1308
QUOTE (TC/914 @ Mar 11 2005, 10:37 AM)
Four years ago I owned a second owner TR6, fully restored and refurbished to better than new, AND a 71 stock 914. The Porsche was a WAY better car in all regards, faster, more comfortable, better handling, better running, longer legged, everything.

No comparison. Had the "race" continued, you would have had him for lunch! AND enjoyed yourself doing it.

TC

not to mention that Lucas didn't have a chance to mess anything up on our lovely cars. i heard of people having parts cars JUST FOR THE WIRING HARNESSES
mskala
Are you perhaps thinking of the GT6 which was spitfire looking
but had the 6-cyl? I remember looking up those once and they
were still pretty slow.
Stutgart46
Could've been a TR-4. They are similar in shape. In fact, in effort to keep costs down and still be able to introduce a new model, Triumph used the TR-4A tub and chasis and just added new fenders to create the 6.
My old college roomate had a TR-6 and we used race all the time. I had a '73 1.7 then, and I always kept up with him. My 914 handled so much better than his 6.
They're really neat cars. My dad raced TR's back in the old days. So I have pretty fond memories of those cars. I also remember being stuck on side of the road while my dad was trying to rewire the whole car to get us home. laugh.gif
smg914
Here are 2 pictures of TR6's I took at the HSR event at Sebring last weekend.
smg914
picture 2
kafermeister
Could it have been a TR250? That's somewhere in between a TR4 and a TR6 IIRC.
flatout
I have a TR6 now as well as the Porsches, and I do like it. I changed all the Lucas electrical to GM, fuse box, one wire alternator etc. Its the only car that I have with a good heater so It's my daily driver. Fun car just different than either my 914 or 911. It has been bored 30 over with 10.5 to 1 compression pistons after market cam and carbs. The Triumph will keep up with traffic, but will never handle like a 914. Good fun car just not a Porsche.
bd1308
last night i had a small electrical problem....the wire i did a quick fix on broke (on my MPS...so i wasnt going ANYWHERE)....after it happened she was a little upset (who could blame her...it was our anniversary)....so instead of starting something i just said to her "hey at least I dont have a Lucas car" laugh.gif huh.gif unsure.gif sad.gif
mack914
I had a TR6 for about seven years. I loved the stying, it looked great. I drove this 6 as I restored it. It was great in every respect except interior space. I'm 6-2 and with the clutch and brake being off-set it really made driving uncomfortable. Love the 914 so much more. Do miss the smell in the garage. Nothing like the smell of a British car.
Mack
Flat VW
A TR-6 (and it's associated owner) attended the Targa-Aid event Here in the Phoenix area and was to lead a group of us "teeners" through a few twysty backroads here w00t.gif . driving.gif

The only thought that comes to mind from that "traffic jam of fourteens" behind the TR-6 I saw, was, NOSE HEAVY (think Jimmy Durante). chair.gif

pretty car though, "british green" as all TR-6's should be!

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.