Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NOS Carpet Pieces from AA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Fitton
Well sometimes you just have to suck it up and pay the piper (George). Where else are you going to get these 2 pieces in original packaging and NOS condition. Thought everyone would enjoy seeing these:

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 13 2015, 08:13 AM) *

Well sometimes you just have to suck it up and pay the piper (George). Where else are you going to get these 2 pieces in original packaging and NOS condition. Thought everyone would enjoy seeing these:

I wish you could compare those to what is available as reproductions (914Rubber and others) to see which is closest to original.

They are perfect - well done!
ripper911
He always had me digging through and arranging those things... Some nice stuff for sure.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 13 2015, 07:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 13 2015, 08:13 AM) *

I wish you could compare those to what is available as reproductions (914Rubber and others) to see which is closest to original.

It is hard to match the original tint of the gray perlon felt, the reproductions don't have the gray color edge binding and the correct pattern black vinyl for the heel pads.
Jett
I've bought two of each last year and have been struggling to find the others. Any ideas where to find the other pieces or are you going to mix with a reproduction set?
Cairo94507
That has to be $500 for the pair......wish I had them.
Jett
Currently the drivers side (on eBay) is $295 and the passenger side has two similar pieces for $125 and $499 (IIRC. 914/6 part).

Thankfully not what we paid but very rare indeed.

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 13 2015, 12:20 PM) *

That has to be $500 for the pair......wish I had them.
Tom_T

Mike,

Just to clarify - they ARE original NOS Porsche 914 carpet pieces, so the comparo would be "how close to those NOS ones" are the AI, WU, 914Rubber, Lakewell, etc. repros made today.

Also of note, there is a slight color variance between them as seen in all factory fresh 914s & NOS pieces due to dye lots in both the fabric & vinyl edge binding/grommets/heel pads, as seen in Mike Fitton's pix above (unless it's just a camera &/or my laptop screen color rendering, lighting, etc.).

For example, I got as many of the NOS pieces in the "Dark Tan" color in my 914's factory carpet from George/AA a while back, since nobody currently makes an acceptably close fabric color match to it now (but couldn't get all 11 pieces), & I spent a couple of hours in his "hot attic" that summer trying to match up the best color matches from those which he had left in my hard to find color. So there was a visible difference in the various NOS pieces in person too.

And yes ... they're expensive, but it's friggin unobtanium now folks! blink.gif

You got a "nice set" there Fitton! biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 13 2015, 12:14 PM) *

Mike,

Just to clarify - they ARE original NOS Porsche 914 carpet pieces, so the comparo would be "how close to those NOS ones" are the AI, WU, 914Rubber, Lakewell, etc. repros made today.

Also of note, there is a slight color variance between them as seen in all factory fresh 914s & NOS pieces due to dye lots in both the fabric & vinyl edge binding/grommets/heel pads, as seen in Mike Fitton's pix above (unless it's just a camera &/or my laptop screen color rendering, lighting, etc.).

For example, I got as many of the NOS pieces in the "Dark Tan" color in my 914's factory carpet from George/AA a while back, since nobody currently makes an acceptably close fabric color match to it now (but couldn't get all 11 pieces), & I spent a couple of hours in his "hot attic" that summer trying to match up the best color matches from those which he had left in my hard to find color. So there was a visible difference in the various NOS pieces in person too.

And yes ... they're expensive, but it's friggin unobtanium now folks! blink.gif

You got a "nice set" there Fitton! biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Yes, slight color variation but when split on both sides of the car it is not noticeable. I am very happy with the quality and match to my existing interior. Yes Cairo you are correct $500, but what else can you do. I believe there is more available, just talk to George.
Mikey914
I'm curious, if these are NOS, why do they not have the grommets? That and I have yet to see a passenger side with the heal pad.

If they are truly NOS the vinyl will be embossed, not sewn. Wanna post a close up? Specifically the drivers heal. These just don't look like my originals.
Mikey914
And if they are truly NOS, worth every penny, cause they will not be making any more.
914bub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 13 2015, 05:25 PM) *

I'm curious, if these are NOS, why do they not have the grommets? That and I have yet to see a passenger side with the heal pad.

If they are truly NOS the vinyl will be embossed, not sewn. Wanna post a close up? Specifically the drivers heal. These just don't look like my originals.

The plot thickens.......

popcorn[1].gif
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 13 2015, 05:25 PM) *

I have seen them without the grommets on the very early cars, yes the heal pad is embossed no need for a close up. Yes passenger side came with heal pad on early cars see below: If you have this book go to page 71, this is the exact heel pad I have with the same embossed pattern.

Mikey914
Would you mind a close up of the pattern. The pattern in the picture looks diferent than the one in the booklet. They may very well be original, but I'm curious of the very early pattern. I have seen the one in the book, but the one on the carpets you have looks different. May still be correct, but it looks more linear.
jacksun
side by side
r

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
I'm most interested in getting the detail of the pattern. Maybe I can make a closer reproduction. biggrin.gif
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 14 2015, 07:56 AM) *

I'm most interested in getting the detail of the pattern. Maybe I can make a closer reproduction. biggrin.gif

Here is a close up for you:

Click to view attachment
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 14 2015, 02:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 14 2015, 07:56 AM) *

Here is a close up for you:

So nice!
Cal
Are these correct for all years.....'70-'76? If not, which years.
Mikey914
This looks almost like a VW texture, but is different.
The later looks different. Also have grommets and no vinyl on the passenger side
Mikey914
So no these are not correct for all. Only very early.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 14 2015, 03:20 PM) *

This looks almost like a VW texture, but is different.

I was thinking the exact same thing. similar to when I bought for my vw's back in the 80's.
Mike Fitton
Here is a picture with the carpet pieces installed, very happy. No more mats over the top of these!!

gms
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 13 2015, 07:25 PM) *

here are 3 different OEM pieces that I have
with grommets and no pad
Click to view attachment

no grommets no pad
Click to view attachment

with grommets and pad
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Like I have always said, it all depended on what was on the shelf that day. Glenn's 3 pieces only add to my supposition.
rgalla9146
MY two cents.
My 3 / 1970 car has drivers heel pad, no grommets
no passenger heel pad, no grommets
Mikey914
My explanation was they wanted to get the cars out the door, the didn't wait for the grommets to get made. I could see this, some early cars not having them. I do think this would only apply to the VERY early cars. SO may question is what is the earliest known original WITH grommets?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 22 2015, 09:38 AM) *

SO may question is what is the earliest known original WITH grommets?

My early '72 (jamb decal says 10/71) came with heel pad and grommets.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 22 2015, 11:38 AM) *

My explanation was they wanted to get the cars out the door, the didn't wait for the grommets to get made. I could see this, some early cars not having them. I do think this would only apply to the VERY early cars. SO may question is what is the earliest known original WITH grommets?

My car - 4712904409 has grommets and heel pad. Brown interior. Seat belt holster on driver side and rubber boot on e brake. I need new carpet. It's an ugly orange-brown color

That and a 6 cylinder S engine and she'll be perfect biggrin.gif
Mike Fitton
Also note there is no reinforcement material around the pedal holes.

Click to view attachment
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Nov 22 2015, 01:17 PM) *

Also note there is no reinforcement material around the pedal holes.

My early '72 has the pedal "grommets".
gandalf_025
These are the mats that were in my car in late 1972 ,when I first saw it at the Dealership.
Car had low miles at that time so I accept them as being original to the car.

No grommets, no passenger heal pad and no reinforcement around the pedals.

They look a lot worse in the picture.. Been stored since 1986.
Car is 914-6 #619........ MFG Date 2/70

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.