It was free
Mueller
You suck!

congrats....
stugray
Now THAT is funny.

When I read the title, my VERY FIRST THOUGHT was - "928"

What do I win?

Nice - some people hate the 928, but I have always loved them.
Another "Porsche outcast" maybe that's why.
mepstein
We don't usually work on them but we are building a stripped out track car with an LS3 for a customer. Ever bit of oem wire has been stripped from the car.
914Mels
Hopefully the side isn't damaged too much from bringing it home sideways.
Mueller
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 13 2015, 12:31 PM) *

We don't usually work on them but we are building a stripped out track car with an LS3 for a customer. Ever bit of oem wire has been stripped from the car.

Can you sell it and install some proper wheel flares that don't look like something from a 4x4 offroad supplier? smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 13 2015, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 13 2015, 12:31 PM) *

Can you sell it and install some proper wheel flares that don't look like something from a 4x4 offroad supplier? smile.gif

I sure hope so. That's the only part of the car that gave us a wtf moment.
doug_b_928
Very nice find! Are you going to part it out or fix it up?
mepstein
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Nov 13 2015, 04:08 PM) *

Very nice find! Are you going to part it out or fix it up?

No title.

But the boys just got the engine started.
rgalla9146
Bruce Jennings raced a 928 ?
JeffBowlsby
A few of us have 928s here. Different experience than the 914, that's all. Mine is BROWN but I bought it for the condition, not the color.
Larmo63
Personally, I've always loved 928 Porsches.

I'd love one.
Elliot Cannon
Fantastic touring car. Till you get some stray electrons hiding somewhere. laugh.gif
EdwardBlume
I want to test drive one sometime. No one ever brought one out to AX back in the day....
76-914
QUOTE(914Mels @ Nov 13 2015, 12:31 PM) *

One can only imagine how difficult it was to load. smoke.gif
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 13 2015, 03:39 PM) *

I want to test drive one sometime. No one ever brought one out to AX back in the day....

914s are relatively similar, not so with the 928s. Built over about a 17 year run, engines run from ~200-350HP so there is wide variety in the driving experience, and the cars are heavy. Power:weight is about like the 914 at least in the early cars, gets better with the newer model years. Best thought of as an old mans highway cruiser because that is what it was designed for. Auto and manual trans available but manuals are rare, most are autos. Not so sure they would make respectable AX cars.
mepstein
So the track car customer wants working headlights in his car. His car has fiberglass fenders and no headlights - they are just stickers. So we will pull the needed parts from the risky business car.

Anybody want a 928 engine for an alien build? 130K miles
doug_b_928
Yes....a GT meant for cruising the autobahn at 120mph all day long with confidence. The faster you go the more planted the car feels; excellent aerodynamics.
doug_b_928
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 13 2015, 06:36 PM) *

So the track car customer wants working headlights in his car. His car has fiberglass fenders and no headlights - they are just stickers. So we will pull the needed parts from the risky business car.

Anybody want a 928 engine for an alien build? 130K miles

Not looking for an engine, but if it's a 78 or 79 I'm looking for a pristine, uncut center console trim bezel.
draganc
If it's too risky I'm will to take it off your hands for free.

Yes, no, maybe
infraredcalvin
Nothing wrong with A 928, nice score. I like that race car, any pics of it at race stance? I'm assuming it's on jacks?

Flares remind me of a Daytona... drooley.gif
Click to view attachment
mepstein
It's not on jacks but it's off road stance is due to too long rear shocks and no engine in the car. All we've done so far is bring it inside and order up an ls3 crate engine.

boxsterfan
I stop-light drag raced a 928 once way back in 2002 when I had a base Boxster. They ere pretty even (I ended up almost 1 car length ahead). A way cool car the 928 is.
sb914
Seen this one a few weeks ago.when the guy took off he did a burnout all the way down the road.super loud Click to view attachment
michael7810
For Sale on Flagstaff CL. Has a SBC conversion

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Nov 13 2015, 06:39 PM) *

Nothing wrong with A 928, nice score. I like that race car, any pics of it at race stance? I'm assuming it's on jacks?

Click to view attachment

You need an eye examination smile.gif

The race car 928 flares are almost perfectly horizontal from where they meet the fender and come out.

_| does not equal / poke.gif

TJB/914
Cut it out Mark hissyfit.gif
I went by this 928 last week and it's still there in Manistee, MI.(8th street I think off US-31??)
Tom
Jett
Apparently the trick is to service all of the ground points. I'm refreshing the entire interior and restoring the cluster... Will attack the ground points and see if the gremlins go away smile.gif

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 13 2015, 04:28 PM) *

Fantastic touring car. Till you get some stray electrons hiding somewhere. laugh.gif

Jett
Pic of our 928

QUOTE(Jett @ Nov 14 2015, 12:22 PM) *

Apparently the trick is to service all of the ground points. I'm refreshing the entire interior and restoring the cluster... Will attack the ground points and see if the gremlins go away smile.gif

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 13 2015, 04:28 PM) *

infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 14 2015, 10:18 AM) *

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Nov 13 2015, 06:39 PM) *

Click to view attachment

You need an eye examination smile.gif

The race car 928 flares are almost perfectly horizontal from where they meet the fender and come out.

_| does not equal / poke.gif

Hater
cgnj
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 13 2015, 04:14 PM) *

A few of us have 928s here. Different experience than the 914, that's all. Mine is BROWN but I bought it for the condition, not the color.

I hate to admit it, but I have 3 914's and 3 928's. 914's have much better parts support and a much better user group.
My rule of thumb is 928 for a drive, 914 for a driving experience.

Here is my latest 928, $3250 delivered, $165 to get it running.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
The engine is for sale in the classifieds biggrin.gif
Catorse
I had three 928s, all of them S4s. My dad also had three at one point, two S4s and one S. I still have a real soft spot for that car. Really love 928s!!!!

Last one was in '04 and had an eaton supercharger on it. Fun times.
mepstein
550hp. Ready to be delivered. driving.gif
Coondog
Had a 928 15 years ago, drove it for about a year then sold it at the Pomona swap meet for $ 4,500. Always amazed me how this Porsche flagship car value tanked so bad.
Car was way fast but when the trans started to go I knew it was time to dump it.
cgnj
Nice job. Inquiring minds want to know how you acheived 550. Mind if I cross post to 918 forum on rennlist?
914sgofast2
No such thing as a free 928. It means you just got a big, deep hole in your bank account!
mepstein
QUOTE(cgnj @ Mar 23 2017, 01:58 PM) *

Nice job. Inquiring minds want to know how you acheived 550. Mind if I cross post to 918 forum on rennlist?

Built LS3
r_towle
that took a while, not quite two years.
mepstein
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Mar 23 2017, 03:44 PM) *

No such thing as a free 928. It means you just got a big, deep hole in your bank account!

The free car was just for parts. The red car that was painted black is a customers car. We made money on that one.
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 23 2017, 04:12 PM) *

that took a while, not quite two years.

1 1/2 years. We did 2 911's for that customer as well. The 928 wasn't a priority.
jim912928
My 83.....one awesome and very dependable car!

Click to view attachment
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 13 2015, 04:40 PM) *

QUOTE(914Mels @ Nov 13 2015, 12:31 PM) *

One can only imagine how difficult it was to load. smoke.gif

They have that new 360 degree revolving trailer. You load a vehicle, rotate it 90 degrees, load another - etc - so you get 4 vehicles into a 1 car trailer - its genius engineering I tell ya! genius!
cgnj
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 23 2017, 01:11 PM) *

QUOTE(cgnj @ Mar 23 2017, 01:58 PM) *

Built LS3

Good thing I asked. Recipe for getting scorched on the 928 list.
welder.gif
slotty008
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Mar 23 2017, 09:50 PM) *

My 83.....one awesome and very dependable car!

Click to view attachment

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif I love this one! Very , very nice!
IronHillRestorations
I've always thought the Sharks are pretty cool. Never drove one though.
Big Len
Mark - Got an engine pic?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.