Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Non-OEM 4 Bolt Rims
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
Anyone know what the size/offset of the stock rims are? I'm thinking of going a different direction than the stock rims for my 73, but i'm not going to do a 5-bolt conversion this year.

So I'm looking for a 4-bolt current production rim that'll fit my car.

Any advise?
ArtechnikA
search the archives; this subject has come up many times before.

the stock rims are 15", BHC 4x130mm, ET (not quite the same as offset...) around 42mm, backspace 4-7/8"

you'll probably find that other than PanaSports or Revolutions there are no current production wheels made for 4x130mm BHC
riverman
I bought some 17x7 Revolution RZX wheels that fit under stock fenders with 205/50/17 tires on them. Here is the link to their site. Look for special orders for 914 owners.
CptTripps
I did the searching too, guess I asked my question wrong....

Is there a car that has rims that'll bolt on?

ie: A 89 Civic's Rims ... or a 80 Scirocco..

I've found a lot at 'tirerack.com' and even at Summit Racing that I like, but they always say..

"Uggh...Ya Cain't just put anythin on a poorsh...then's special"

Just verifying the general concensis...

these are the rims I REALLY want...

user posted image
riverman
I did alot (I mean alot) of looking into this issue as well because I had a specific look I was going for, too. Unfortunately, the offset and bolt spacing issues are so unique to the 914 (and early Bugs) that there are virtually no rims that fit 914's other than the ones you've probably heard of (aftermarket stuff). I also looked into spacers with new lugs and re-drilling rotors, but there are so many other issues (safety being the main one) that I finally decided to go with the Revolutions. I'm happy I did because they fit perfectly, look nice, I didn't have to go to a 5-lug set-up, and I was able to upgrade my tires very easily.

There might have been something that I missed, and perhaps another member will have an idea, but I'm pretty sure I did my homework on this one.

Here's a pic of a 914 with 17" Revolution RZX wheels on it. This is the one that sold me.
Gustl
wow ... really great looking drooley.gif clap.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 11 2005, 08:26 AM)
Is there a car that has rims that'll bolt on?

that one's easy.

no.

(sorry, i know it's not what you wanted to hear ...)
TC Johnson
Have you looked at the Kinesis wheels they have at AA? (GPR might have access too) They are multi spoke with gold centers and look like some of the cool wheels available on the Boxter S. cool.gif

I am not sure of their width or offset, but it may be worth asking about.

TC
Mueller
QUOTE (TC Johnson @ Mar 11 2005, 08:02 AM)
Have you looked at the Kinesis wheels they have at AA? (GPR might have access too) They are multi spoke with gold centers and look like some of the cool wheels available on the Boxter S. cool.gif

I am not sure of their width or offset, but it may be worth asking about.

TC

I'm sure that the Kineses wheel is about $400 each smile.gif

Besides VW bugs with their crappy offset, the only other car that I know of that has the same 4x130 bolt pattern is from a late 60's early '70s Maserati .....

Revolution does have a sale on some 15x7s right now, check out the resource page for more info...
rhodyguy
if you're looking to spend, why not consider the 5 pannasports(nice matching spare) currently in the classifieds? try to squeeze the correct lug bolts in on the deal.

k
Mueller
are these rims close enough to want you want? smile.gif

16*7 Konig rims...fit Honda, Miata and early VW GTI, sorry, they don't bolt-on without doing a little machineing to the hubs smash.gif

CptTripps
I'd be interested in seeing that process....

they don't bolt-on without doing a little machineing to the hubs
Mueller
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 11 2005, 11:02 AM)
I'd be interested in seeing that process....

they don't bolt-on without doing a little machineing to the hubs

hubs/flanges are re-drilled for a 4x100 pattern, for '73-'76 cars, the front hubcentric feature needs to be turned down to a smaller diameter.....I'd recommend a spacer up front, something like 3/4" to 1" to move the wheels outboard a little more.....the rims in the picture had a 40mm offset, with a 5mm spacer in the rear.....

there is a shop in Washington that'll do it for about $180 or so....I did my own so no cost other than the 12mm studs.

CptTripps
Is that safe though?

This intregues me...Sorry to be ignorant of this stuff...Im still learning. =)
Mueller
the only thing about it I didn't like was the the smaller bolt circle broke into the large center thru hole on the rear rotors, if I was to do it again, I'd just thread in a short stud into the old 14mm threads to hold the rotor instead of the new 12mm holes..........

I ended up selling the rims and throwing away the redrilled hubs and flanges and just going with the Revolution wheels

phantom914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 11 2005, 11:43 AM)
the only thing about it I didn't like was the the smaller bolt circle broke into the large center thru hole on the rear rotors, if I was to do it again, I'd just thread in a short stud into the old 14mm threads to hold the rotor instead of the new 12mm holes..........

I ended up selling the rims and throwing away the redrilled hubs and flanges and just going with the Revolution wheels

There is a 4x4-1/2 pattern that some Honda, Acura, Mitsubishi and aftermarket wheel's have. With those, the bolt circle won't break into the large center hole in the rear rotors.

Andrew
jd74914
QUOTE (phantom914 @ Mar 11 2005, 01:21 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 11 2005, 11:43 AM)

There is a 4x4-1/2 pattern that some Honda, Acura, Mitsubishi and aftermarket wheel's have. With those, the bolt circle won't break into the large center hole in the rear rotors.

Andrew

Interesting. I think I'm going to research that idea a bit more. There is a huge selection of rims for hondas. The only problem is the r* value of most aftermarket rims. I'm going to search right now, thanks.

*ricer
phantom914
To help search, you can find which model and year vehicles use the pattern here:

Bolt patterns

BTW: This site is good for finding bolt patterns, not sure about finding decent rims there.

Oh, and 4x114.3 is the same as 4X4-1/2

Andrew
jd74914
thanks andrew beerchug.gif
bernbomb914
these are differant and are made by ATS in germany. there is a importer in New York
scotty b
QUOTE (bernbomb914 @ Mar 11 2005, 04:53 PM)
these are differant and are made by ATS in germany. there is a importer in New York

That is the wheel used on the Puma "kit" cars
grantsfo
American Racing made a Le Mans series that fits if you massage the rear fender a bit. I have a set of these that I'm restoring this week. Just finished cleaning them and painted centers black, but they are for my car. smile.gif

user posted image
jasons
I've never seen them on a 914, but there are always the 4-lug BRM's.

They are also available in Black.

user posted image

Centerline still lists the Auto Drag in 4x130

user posted image
Revolution Wheels
As mentioned we do have two different sizes of wheels machined especially for the 914...our 7x15 Millennium which we have on sale only until the end of this month, and which we have some sets still available, and our 7x17 RZX which is pictured on this post.
We currently have a couple of sets of RZX's on order for two members and the factory told me that they were planning on machining up 1 or 2 more extra sets for us at the same time, so if anyone is interested this would be a good time to order a set for a couple of reasons. One is that you won't have to wait for 2 or 3 months for them to machine a custom order, and maybe more importantly prices are going up this month since we can no longer absorb the continued devaluation of the dollar! Also, we are planning on having a shipment flown over towards the end of this month, so you could have either style of these wheels very shortly!
Last but not least...THESE WHEELS FIT! We've been making wheels for the 914 for a very long time, and I personally have not had one complaint of the wheels not fitting in the 6 years I've been importing them!
We can be reached at 800-872-5894 or ttrs1@ctaz.com.

Thank you,
Tom Tatalovich
www.revousa.com
Trekkor
I like my aluminum Western's.

KT
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 12 2005, 02:10 PM)

KT

i always thought they looked like trailer wheels.... confused24.gif laugh.gif
jd74914
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 12 2005, 01:10 PM)

KT

Any idea on their wieght?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.