Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Moonroof
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Unobtanium-inc
Because for some guys a Targa top isn't enough, they need a sunroof in the Targa. I was loading up a truckload of 356's today and saw this, love it!
draganc
I don't know what pissed me more off that target "upgrade" or "... was loading up a truckload of 356's...".

Good for you.
914Sixer
I know I have THROWN AWAY at least 5 roofs like that over the years. I swear they add another 10 lbs to weight of the roof.
Mueller
I want to call that redneck, but that would be an insult to all rednecks!

On the plus side, at least the entire roof can be easily replaced so the installer didn't total a car with that install!
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(draganc @ Nov 13 2015, 07:10 PM) *

I don't know what pissed me more off that target "upgrade" or "... was loading up a truckload of 356's...".

Good for you.

It was definitely the "loading up a truckload of 356's" that pissed me off! lol

veekry9
Click to view attachmentYes,a Polo.
I like 356's,do you not like 356's?
You should have that looked at,that may be a form of dementia. blink.gif

A top with a hole?I didn't know they could do that,a sort of variable opening in the roof
to adjust the airflow on a cold winter day in the snow.
damesandhotrods
I kind of like the idea of picking up a second roof with a sunroof installed. It is nice on hot summer days to be able to slouch out of the direct sun…
Olympic 914
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Nov 14 2015, 01:17 AM) *

I kind of like the idea of picking up a second roof with a sunroof installed. It is nice on hot summer days to be able to slouch out of the direct sun…

agree.gif

I wouldn't do it to my only roof though.
StratPlayer
Here's my moon roof.....
EdwardBlume
seems like a belt and suspenders kind of thing
stugray
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Nov 13 2015, 11:17 PM) *

Do you have a silver car?

I have this "spare" roof hanging from my garage ceiling, but I dont even have a silver car anymore:

IPB Image
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Nov 13 2015, 09:10 PM) *

QUOTE(draganc @ Nov 13 2015, 07:10 PM) *

Good for you.

It was definitely the "loading up a truckload of 356's" that pissed me off! lol

Here is a pic of said truckload, unloading today now that we are back in NY.
EdwardBlume
That is so damned sexy.... good luck with the resto / sales..... smash.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 15 2015, 05:00 AM) *

That is so damned sexy.... good luck with the resto / sales..... smash.gif smilie_pokal.gif

This is what happens when the pano shot goes wrong, squish!
whitetwinturbo
.............speaking of "resto" cars......here's some Calif mayhem earlier this year:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
Here is mine, was done by p.o. somewhere in cali. I use it a lot!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 15 2015, 08:02 PM) *

Do you know the measurements? I have a few spare tops and want to try and drop one of these in.

Thanks!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 17 2015, 11:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 15 2015, 08:02 PM) *

Do you know the measurements? I have a few spare tops and want to try and drop one of these in.

Thanks!

I can check toningh
whitetwinturbo
chowtime.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 17 2015, 01:36 PM) *

I can check toningh

Thanks Phil.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 18 2015, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 17 2015, 01:36 PM) *

I can check toningh

Thanks Phil.

Sorry I forgot last night, but will check later today.
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 18 2015, 09:17 AM) *

Sorry I forgot last night, but will check later today.

No worries, this is probably a Spring project.

Cheers!
DRPHIL914
35x15"
DRPHIL914
one problem is that it is an early top, so the window contour does not quite fit perfectly on my '75, but no that's o.k., generally I use it on really hot days 90 degrees+, that I don't want the sun pounding on my head and gives good air movement. I thought about taking it out of this top and getting a late top to put it into. The top itself may have been dropped because there are some cracks that can bee seen from the inside thru the outside and back ribbing area, so it has a bit of flex that would not normally be there. The moon roof part itself is tight and perfect and probably lends to giving it some stability, but also adds quite a bit of weight.

Olympic 914
Can you still stow it in the rear trunk if you want to take it off?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 18 2015, 08:03 PM) *

35x15"

Thanks Phil.

I appreciate the measurements and the information about the fit. I think this is still a good solution for "those days" as you mentioned. The moon roof combined with what I hope will be a new part from 914Rubber (triangle vent window with a moveable porthole) would be awesome in our cars! My friend has a 356 with sunroof and operable vent windows and it is perfect in Colorado mountains!

Cheers!
shoguneagle
I like them for hot summer days. Had one for a prior 914 as well as Lotus Esprit. Did not work well in rain since there not any rain gutters/drains installed with these types of windows. I would like another one to supplement the regular top which is used in the winter and rainy seasons.
dangrouche
now you guys are giving me an idea to install a power sliding moonroof I have laying around .....
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Nov 19 2015, 10:27 AM) *

Can you still stow it in the rear trunk if you want to take it off?

Yea no change there , still fits same just is a bit heavier
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.