Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Couldn't Help Myself
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
somd914
I guess I am addicted... Bought another '73, will pick her up next weekend.

This one was a stalled project that sat for several years due to health issues. A friend of a friend who is a long-time reputable 356 mechanic/restorer purchased her (friends with the owner who started the project) and put her together sans new paint. I wasn't in the market, but this was one of those Cars and Coffee deals that I couldn't pass up.

It's the proverbial SOCAL rust free car - yes, we've all heard that before, but the body is exceptionally clean and solid, had been re-sprayed at some point but trunks, door jambs, and underside are original paint. Engine is a fresh FAT Performance 2258 that outshines my 2056, new brakes, 5 bolt conversion, new suspension, re-chromed bumpers, wart removal, etc. Also comes with a large parts stash which I will likely sell most of it. Holding receipts for engine and parts north of $20k...

Ravenna green isn't my favorite, but I will stick with it - not going the expense of a proper color change.

Given the reputation of the mechanic who put it together, and given the overall condition, how could I say no? Am I crazy?

More pics next weekend once I get her home.

Click to view attachment
altitude411
beerchug.gif She looks sweet. Congratulations. Standing by for more photo's.
mepstein
I don't know what you paid but I'm betting you made out well. Ravenna isn't my first choice but it is one of those colors that "pops" on the road. Probably one of those colors that would grow on me and become one of my favorites over time.
TargaToy
Congrats, Scott. Looks like a good buy. Looking fwd to more pics!
914-300Hemi
Congrats looks like a great buy.
Montreal914
drooley.gif WOW! Nice catch.
I'm sure Ravenna green will grown on you. I personally think it's a very nice 914 color that fits with the era.
somd914
Thanks guys.

Agree ravenna green will likely grow on me, it is already to some degree. Hopefully I'll have the paint finished in time for Hershey this spring.

I envision something along these lines. The polished Fuchs will go up for sale this winter. I have Fuchs on the other teener and the Carrera, so time for something different, Cookie Cutters, now to find them.

Not sure whether to go with a standard black top or go painted, but since the car comes with two tops, I'll have one painted and have the option to go either way.

- Scott

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I like that color on a 914. I am glad someone in our community scored that car - it appears to be sweet. Looking forward to seeing some good photos. smilie_pokal.gif
whitetwinturbo
beerchug.gif LOVE IT and LOVE the color!
EdwardBlume
beerchug.gif

A guy had one in N Cal years ago and called it Kermit. Being color blind, I always thought it was yellow.

Come to realize, I haven't seen many since. It would be interesting to know how many are really out there. May be a rare color.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 15 2015, 05:11 AM) *

beerchug.gif

A guy had one in N Cal years ago and called it Kermit. Being color blind, I always thought it was yellow.

Come to realize, I haven't seen many since. It would be interesting to know how many are really out there. May be a rare color.

Then again, I'm color blind... av-943.gif

Congrats again! aktion035.gif
somd914
The more I think about raveena green the more I like it.

Our current teener is polar silver compliments of the PO. Car was originally silver but PO chose a new shade. Not that I dislike silver on teeners, but polar silver has a blue undertone that doesn't compliment the chrome and polished trim. My plans had been to respray it the original silver at some point.

But that will be my son's problem now. Once he finishes college next year he will take on our current '73, then the Ravenna green one will stay with me.
Porschef
Congratulations, very nice! IMO Raveena is one of the best colors for a 914, very 70's, and uncommon. aktion035.gif
scotty b
I was just pushing someone else to buy that car a couple weeks ago instead of one I am selling. shades.gif Either way it went to a good home smile.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 15 2015, 08:47 AM) *

I was just pushing someone else to buy that car a couple weeks ago instead of one I am selling. shades.gif Either way it went to a good home smile.gif

Ok, don't go into sales professionally, you may starve.
Larmo63
Wow, those wheels couldn't look more perfect on that car. I'd have a very hard time taking those off for anything else.

Congrats on a great looking car, I'm green with envy.
Dave_Darling
Psst--it's Ravenna, not Raveena. Named after the city in Italy.

--DD
somd914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 15 2015, 04:34 PM) *

Psst--it's Ravenna, not Raveena. Named after the city in Italy.

--DD

headbang.gif Obviously not a student of the factory colors...

And typical of Dave Darling, 100% correct and tactfully delivered.
somd914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 15 2015, 08:47 AM) *

The World is smaller than I thought... I'll take it as good news that you were recommending this teener to others...
rick 918-S
Very hard color to find. Your lucky to get it.

We will always regret selling this car.

Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
beer3.gif Black "highlights" are nice drooley.gif
somd914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 16 2015, 02:39 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Sweet. Ironically my son mentioned a matte black hood, and I was having a difficult time picturing it. Hmmm, I might have to give this some thought... idea.gif
somd914
Brought the Revenna green car home a few weeks ago, but life has been too hectic to play with it much. Had a 100 mile drive home between interstates, state roads, and back roads. Very enjoyable drive, really enjoying the 2258.

I hope to have her re-sprayed in time for Hershey in the spring.

Gave her a thorough inspection up on the lift as we couldn't get her on the lift at the PO's as his lift was tied up with a restoration project. But given the PO is a friend, I had no reason to doubt his word. However it is nice to verify that she is clean as advertised.

Maintenance records put her in LA from purchase until 2003 - then off to OH until '08 when she was brought to VA and the torn down for a refresh that ended up taking 7 years.

Click to view attachment

Just shy of 500 miles on the rebuild, time for an oil change and time to start running her hard.
Click to view attachment

Crossbar throttle linkage will have go at some point for a bell crank system or Tangerine Racing's system
Click to view attachment

She's lacking an external oil cooler which will go in before summer, but otherwise all appears to be in order.
Click to view attachment

Interior needs fresh carpet, but otherwise the interior is clean
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The fresh bumper chrome is nice
Click to view attachment

One of my sons will be purchasing my silver '73 once out of college and working next year. Glad to see youth interested in the old school cars.
Click to view attachment
BeatNavy
Wow. I don't know what you paid, but that looks like a score. Nice.
Dion
Lots a luck with the car. I love Ravenna green. That looks to be in really nice shape.
Nice score! If my car wasn't Marathon blue originally I would have chosen that colour for when I did my flare project.
Enjoy!
914Next
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 16 2015, 02:39 PM) *

Click to view attachment

And I regret not buying this car!!
thieuster
Great looking car! And I love the color. Had a Saab 96 in the color in the early 80s.

The name for that color is funny but with a message - it is a real Porsche color. I've been to Ravenna and the only thing green that stands out is the dome of the basilique which is green at the bottom.

Back in the early middle ages, green (and certainly light green) was a difficult color to make. very small gem-like pieces of glass called 'smalti' were used! liquid glass was mixed with metal oxides to compose a color. Not only is it a rare color on Porsches, but it's also rare in Ravenna and other medieval Italian) towns!

From that point of view, Porsche has choosen a good name for that color!

Hope you'll have many happy miles with the car.

Menno
EdwardBlume
Nice rack!
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(thieuster @ Dec 13 2015, 07:48 AM) *

Great looking car! And I love the color. Had a Saab 96 in the color in the early 80s.

The name for that color is funny but with a message - it is a real Porsche color. I've been to Ravenna and the only thing green that stands out is the dome of the basilique which is green at the bottom.

Back in the early middle ages, green (and certainly light green) was a difficult color to make. very small gem-lie pieces of glass called 'smalti' were used! liquid glass was mixed with metal oxides to compose a color. Not only is it a rare color on Porsches, but it's also rare in Ravenna and other medi! stromberg.gif !Italian) towns!

Menno

...........and there it is!

Click to view attachment
thieuster
Yes nice! In reality it's breathtaking. And in a certain way a Ravenna green Porsche too.

* I had an altercation with the Dutch auto-correct when I wanted to write 'midieval' in my previous post. Little did I know that it would turn into that emoticon. My bad.

Menno
SirAndy
Also, your drivers side front turn signal lens is upside down, might want to let your reputable 356 mechanic/restorer friend know that ...
biggrin.gif
somd914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 13 2015, 01:40 PM) *

Also, your drivers side front turn signal lens is upside down, might want to let your reputable 356 mechanic/restorer friend know that ...
biggrin.gif

Damn, tough audience here, and good eyes. I'll tell him to stick to 356's...

TargaToy
I was trying to find a tricked out Miata in the bumper reflection.
somd914
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Dec 13 2015, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(thieuster @ Dec 13 2015, 07:48 AM) *

Back in the early middle ages, green (and certainly light green) was a difficult color to make. very small gem-lie pieces of glass called 'smalti' were used! liquid glass was mixed with metal oxides to compose a color. Not only is it a rare color on Porsches, but it's also rare in Ravenna and other medi! stromberg.gif !Italian) towns!

Menno

...........and there it is!

Click to view attachment

Impressive, much more so than my 914 biggrin.gif

As for the Revanna green, the re-spray from many years back is a touch more yellow than the original paint in the door jambs and trunks. Either way, I'm still not sure if it's a green with a hint of yellow, or yellow with a lot of green in it. But, it's growing on me and I certainly don't want the expense of a full color change.
somd914
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Dec 13 2015, 02:41 PM) *

Yah, he graduated last spring and is working on this side of the Bay, so you won't find the tricked out miata running around Salisbury anymore either.

I'll stage a pic and send it your way...
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(somd914 @ Dec 13 2015, 06:13 AM) *
She's lacking an external oil cooler which will go in before summer, but otherwise all appears to be in order.

Why do you think it needs an external oil cooler? Run it and see what the temps do.

--DD
somd914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 13 2015, 02:45 PM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Dec 13 2015, 06:13 AM) *

Why do you think it needs an external oil cooler? Run it and see what the temps do.

--DD

Just basing it on what I've read and our 90-95 degree summer temps. Seems most feel for temps like this on the larger displacement engines an external cooler is needed, but this is new territory for me.

Thoughts on a head temp gauge? One side or both?

jmill
Beautiful car. Nice score smilie_pokal.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(somd914 @ Dec 13 2015, 02:45 PM) *

Yah, he graduated last spring and is working on this side of the Bay, so you won't find the tricked out miata running around Salisbury anymore either.

Salisbury, eh? I spent a fair amount of my time in Easton with my in-laws (and I know what you mean about summer temps on the Eastern Shore). I'm hoping to spend more time there at some point. No hill climbs, but fair number of twisty back roads that are probably fun in a teener.
TargaToy
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Dec 13 2015, 03:52 PM) *

Salisbury, eh? I spent a fair amount of my time in Easton with my in-laws (and I know what you mean about summer temps on the Eastern Shore). I'm hoping to spend more time there at some point. No hill climbs, but fair number of twisty back roads that are probably fun in a teener.

Yep, lots of twisties around here. Really flat. I work only 19 miles from where I live and it's virtually a straight shot by highway. I take the back roads every chance I get just for the turns.

But speaking of summer on Delmarva...it's been very unseasonably warm here all month. Over 70 again today and the humidity is way up. The flies are back and some trees are budding. It's a bit strange coming up to Christmas and we're wearing shorts and T's again. Heck, I broke my motorcycle out yesterday.
somd914
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Dec 13 2015, 11:34 PM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Dec 13 2015, 03:52 PM) *

Yep, lots of twisties around here. Really flat. I work only 19 miles from where I live and it's virtually a straight shot by highway. I take the back roads every chance I get just for the turns.

But speaking of summer on Delmarva...it's been very unseasonably warm here all month. Over 70 again today and the humidity is way up. The flies are back and some trees are budding. It's a bit strange coming up to Christmas and we're wearing shorts and T's again. Heck, I broke my motorcycle out yesterday.

I'm over the other side of the Chesapeake from TargaToy, about 40 miles as a crow flies, but 160 miles via roads due to the Bay. Pretty much the same here, mainly back roads, flat. The best roads in the area are through the Mennonite and Amish areas, but the roads are frequented with buggies, bicycles, pedestrians, and littered with horse droppings - not a good area to enjoy driving.

As mentioned, temps are crazy warm for this time of year - 60 degrees at the moment (5:45 AM) but the dew is like rain - soaked out there, and garage dehumidifier is pumping out August-like amounts of water. Hmmm, Porsche to work this morning and wash it when I get home...?
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(somd914 @ Nov 14 2015, 08:02 AM) *

I guess I am addict... Bought another '73, will pick her up next weekend.

This one was a stalled project that sat for several years due to health issues. A friend of a friend who is a long-time reputable 356 mechanic/restorer purchased her (friends with the owner who started the project) and put her together sans new paint. I wasn't in the market, but this was one of those Cars and Coffee deals that I couldn't pass up.

It's the proverbial SOCAL rust free car - yes, we've all heard that before, but the body is exceptionally clean and solid, had been re-sprayed at some point but trunks, door jambs, and underside are original paint. Engine is a fresh FAT Performance 2258 that outshines my 2056, new brakes, 5 bolt conversion, new suspension, re-chromed bumpers, wart removal, etc. Also comes with a large parts stash which I will likely sell most of it. Holding receipts for engine and parts north of $20k...

Ravenna green isn't my favorite, but I will stick with it - not going the expense of a proper color change.

Given the reputation of the mechanic who put it together, and given the overall condition, how could I say no? Am I crazy?

More pics next weekend once I get her home.

Click to view attachment

I know the addiction part, I now have 3. ! running, 1 a ground up restoration and another for parts....One can never have too many 14's
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(somd914 @ Dec 13 2015, 11:52 AM) *
Just basing it on what I've read and our 90-95 degree summer temps. Seems most feel for temps like this on the larger displacement engines an external cooler is needed, but this is new territory for me.

Head temp != oil temp. In fact, the two sometimes move opposite directions with load and RPM. If you're trying to figure out if you need a cooler, use an oil temp gauge.

As for head temps, both sides is probably better than one. One may be better than zero, but only if you use a decent quality gauge. (Like an aircraft one; the common inexpensive VDO ones are not the greatest.)

--DD
somd914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 14 2015, 11:22 AM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Dec 13 2015, 11:52 AM) *

Head temp != oil temp. In fact, the two sometimes move opposite directions with load and RPM. If you're trying to figure out if you need a cooler, use an oil temp gauge.

As for head temps, both sides is probably better than one. One may be better than zero, but only if you use a decent quality gauge. (Like an aircraft one; the common inexpensive VDO ones are not the greatest.)

--DD

Yes, I understand that head and oil temps are different, have to give some thought to the occasional inverse relationship.

My plan is to replace the stock oil temp gauge and go with one that has temperatures on it's face rather than the simple red zone. Once summer hits I'll make a call on external oil cooler based on knowing what oil temps really are. Can say based on shooting an IR thermometer on various sump locations temps are reading in the 190 range with the factory gauge close to center.

I also plan to look into dual aircraft head temp gauges as I've heard from other sources also that the VDO gauges are iffy and not temp corrected.

Thanks for the feedback.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.