Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedometer Angle Drive Seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
capitolatim
My speedometer angle drive is leaking badly on my newly acquired 1970.

I ordered these Pelican parts 999-701-084-50-m104 O ring and 999-113-036-50-m260 shaft seal.

I have no idea how to install that seal, anyone done it?

CheersClick to view attachment
ConeDodger
If McMark has time he may chime in. He has a modification he does that adds a second o-ring and pretty much knocks out the leaks. You might PM him if he doesn't.
vintage914racer
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 14 2015, 10:09 PM) *

If McMark has time he may chime in. He has a modification he does that adds a second o-ring and pretty much knocks out the leaks. You might PM him if he doesn't.

I had a bad leak and replaced with his double seal unit. Definitely the way to go.
Jon B
QUOTE(capitolatim @ Nov 14 2015, 06:09 PM) *

There's a washer above the oil seal you need to remove first. The washer OD is a tight fit in the housing, and doesn't come out easily.
A hook-type seal remover works best to remove both the washer and seal.

Jon B.
Vista, CA
Darren C
Hi,
You need a strong hook tool from a pick set to pull out the old seal without damaging the housing. They are stuck real well in there, don’t be tempted to drive anything down the side as it will damage the soft metal housing and trash it.
Remember to order a new O seal too. Make sure its all clean before re-assembly. I used a socket of the same outside diameter of the seal to drift it back in. Make sure you get it the right way up as to get it out again will damage the seal and you’ll need a new one.
With the right tools is a 2 minute job!

IPB Image
capitolatim
QUOTE(Jon B @ Nov 16 2015, 10:41 PM) *

QUOTE(capitolatim @ Nov 14 2015, 06:09 PM) *

There's a washer above the oil seal you need to remove first. The washer OD is a tight fit in the housing, and doesn't come out easily.
A hook-type seal remover works best to remove both the washer and seal.

Jon B.
Vista, CA

Jon, thanks, I'm giving it a go, that washer is well stuck.

Cheers
Tim
Mikey914
The main reason these leak is the lack of a secondary seal on the unit itself. McMark has these as well as I do. I suspect it will still drop even after the seal is installed
http://shop.914rubber.com/searchquick-subm...?keywords=drive
Mikey914
Thanks for the props!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.