Full Version: Seinfeld's 914-6 GT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete000
Saw this posted on another site.

Nice factory GT.

mgp4591
QUOTE(pete000 @ Nov 14 2015, 10:45 PM) *

Saw this posted on another site.

Nice factory GT. Anyone know of its history?

Is it in the data base?

It's the Spike and Jerry Show!! piratenanner.gif
If that's his real factory GT that he has, I inspected it and looked over in 1982 and passed it up. Asking was before everyone had to get in the game. Renault bought it for evaluation and simply parked it in the back of the warehouse. ...its one of those "could have should have moments " during ones life travels.
pete000
Looks to be the Alfa Romeo factory owned car. These pictures look to have been taken at Jerry's mechanics shop in Torrance CA. What a great car !

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/9146gt_factory...1076_alfa_romeo

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/9146gt_factory...lfa_romeo_lowes

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/9146gt_factory...omeo_2010_resto
EdwardBlume
Awesome validation of the value of a 914! first.gif
JmuRiz
Comedians in cars getting coffee shoot?
Spike has a 914/6 (Irish green skinny fender), my guess is Jerry picked it to show him he can always do one better smile.gif
rgalla9146
Who is Spike ?
Oh ! nice car too.
peteyd
QUOTE(pete000 @ Nov 14 2015, 10:17 PM) *

Looks to be the Alfa Romeo factory owned car. These pictures look to have been taken at Jerry's mechanics shop in Torrance CA. What a great car !

Who is Jerry's mechanic?
rgalla9146
It's only 19 VINs earlier than my orange car !!!!
And my GT clone is gonna be white !!!!
kupcar
I think Jerry has a handful of mechanics to service his collection. A friend of mine insists that Cox Motorsports out of Kansas used to handle some of his motor builds and a few restorations.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 15 2015, 07:26 AM) *

Who is Spike ?
Oh ! nice car too.

Spike Jonze?
dangrouche
Spike Ferensten; Cable TV-Esquire Network; Car Matchmaker show
Mueller
Dang that is pretty car...perfect!

So glad to see him driving it!
sixnotfour
I think this GT is one of the finest unmolested 914's left . the yellow Dehavlin GT was also , but a CA dealer used it and did some mods to it..

I saw this GT at the San Diego Porsche Parade..it is sweet..
pete000
[/quote]

Who is Jerry's mechanic?
[/quote]

He has a full time mechanic near where I work. He always has some rare Seinfeld car over there. He had some crazy rare factory 356 Carrera Swedish Ice racing champion getting the engine sorted out not too long ago.

He also has a shop that does more restoration and metal work. I assume budget is not ever an issue. lol-2.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(peteyd @ Nov 15 2015, 05:36 AM) *

Who is Jerry's mechanic?

The mechanic is the owner of Eddelweiss independent / Torrance Ca.,
but probably only working on Jerry's cars now.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Nov 15 2015, 07:54 AM) *

Spike Ferensten; Cable TV-Esquire Network; Car Matchmaker show

Ed Helms look a like...

Just saw his show last night where he helps hapless car buyers looking for 15 minutes of fame into 1 of 3 cars.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Nov 15 2015, 11:59 PM) *

QUOTE(peteyd @ Nov 15 2015, 05:36 AM) *

Who is Jerry's mechanic?

The mechanic is the owner of Eddelweiss independent / Torrance Ca.,
but probably only working on Jerry's cars now.

Canepa has done some builds for JS too.
peteyd
QUOTE(pete000 @ Nov 15 2015, 09:56 PM) *

Who is Jerry's mechanic?

He has a full time mechanic near where I work. He always has some rare Seinfeld car over there. He had some crazy rare factory 356 Carrera Swedish Ice racing champion getting the engine sorted out not too long ago.

He also has a shop that does more restoration and metal work. I assume budget is not never an issue. lol-2.gif

Do you know the names of these shops?

Thanks for all the other replies. I will followup with these shops and see if they need any sheet metal for upcoming projects.
Andyrew
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Nov 15 2015, 05:21 AM) *

Comedians in cars getting coffee shoot?

My thoughts exactly..

Also looks like Jerry has some Bridgestone RE-11's on the car. Thats some good sticky grip!!
rgalla9146

Please tell me they weren't smokin' those stinky cigars in that nice little car.
euro911
Adrian's shop is a mere stone's throw from my house. I pop in there quite often biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
I saw this car n San Clemente, CA back in 1985 while purchasing a six. Owner at the time, according to Jeff Zwart, was a Segrstrom. He and a friend came to look at the car I was buying and he told me the racing history. Interesting.....I never saw the car again until this thread was posted.
7TPorsh
icon_bump.gif
23e Heure
IPB Image
rgalla9146
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 30 2016, 10:01 AM) *

I saw this car n San Clemente, CA back in 1985 while purchasing a six. Owner at the time, according to Jeff Zwart, was a Segrstrom. He and a friend came to look at the car I was buying and he told me the racing history. Interesting.....I never saw the car again until this thread was posted.

This car has racing history ?
What was the price back then ?
What is a Segrestrom ?
gms
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 31 2016, 11:29 AM) *

What is a Segrestrom ?

Never raced but said to be bought by Alfa Romeo to see what Porsche was up to, found by Kerry Morse at the Alfa factory (if memory is correct) Sam Cabiglio bought car and played with it for years then went up for sale 1987 for about $85k
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 31 2016, 11:37 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 31 2016, 11:29 AM) *

What is a Segrestrom ?

Never raced but said to be bought by Alfa Romeo to see what Porsche was up to, found by Kerry Morse at the Alfa factory (if memory is correct) Sam Cabiglio bought car and played with it for years then went up for sale 1987 for about $85k

Here's my story, in 83 I attended a PB Tweeks Porsche swapmeet in Signal Hill, Long Beach California. This GT was there for sale, the owner was Sam his business was the gray market cars from Europe. I looked it over / check it out for purchase at the swapmeet. When I discussed the origin of this GT, his reply was during an business visit in Europe he came across this in a corner of the Renault factory. Yes it was purchased for evaluation purpose and once they finished. It was simply parked in a corner of the factory and forgotten until he inquired and purchase it. At the time, Sam also wrench for Seinfeld too. Since I wanted to purchase the GT, wife talked me out of it since I already had a 71 European- 6....
Yes, back in those early days, Kerry had a shop in OC which is close to Long Beach.. since it didn't sell, I'm sure Kerry bought it since the asking from Sam was only 25k back in the days before " everyone" wanted to b cool to own a - 6.
Do I regret not buying it, yes and no . I waited 30 years later and now have one of 900 + TT. In life, you win some and lose some.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 31 2016, 10:29 AM) *

What is a Segrestrom ?

I believe the word he used was "Rally", not racing.
Segrstrom is a prominent Orange County family with plenty of resources

sixnotfour
Torres had it at the San Diego Parade in 1992 ....
sb914
icon_bump.gif
eric9144
QUOTE(peteyd @ Nov 16 2015, 06:26 AM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Nov 15 2015, 09:56 PM) *

He also has a shop that does more restoration and metal work. I assume budget is not never an issue. lol-2.gif

Do you know the names of these shops?

Thanks for all the other replies. I will followup with these shops and see if they need any sheet metal for upcoming projects.

My brother in law runs the shop that does most of his paint and metal work, I referred him to Restoration Design a long time ago, if you want to know the name of the shop PM me, I don't want to get him in trouble... I have some cool pics and have seen some stuff I'm not allowed to post dry.gif

FWIW, one of his "guys" that maintains the fleet is a 914 guy as well beerchug.gif
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Apr 1 2016, 03:22 PM) *

if you want to know the name of the shop PM me, I don't want to get him in trouble

Huh?
eric9144
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 1 2016, 01:26 PM) *

if you want to know the name of the shop PM me, I don't want to get him in trouble

Huh?

They (the guys who tend the collection) are weird about people knowing apparently.

I was told never to post pictures etc, don't really want to ruin that for him.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 1 2016, 04:26 PM) *

Huh?

If /When people know that Jerry is there occasionally they'll start showing up for no other reason than to gawk.
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 31 2016, 02:40 PM) *

Torres had it at the San Diego Parade in 1992 ....

Im meeting up with Jim's son at noon. I will ask him if he remembered anything that is interesting with the GT. It's funny how Jim and I were in the same neighborhood back way when. He made it a profession and I made it a hobby. In the end we both made out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.