Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: a problem, need advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
he're the deal... about a month ago a co-worker asked me to build him a PC, I picked out the parts based on his needs(video editing), and went to his house, put it together, and showed him how to build the next one, set up his home network and upgraded his old pc for him too... I didn't charge him squat... he bought a few meals...

this is all fine, simply catching you guys up to speed... I don't mind doing this for people occasionally(once every 1-2 years) and if they offer to pay I used to just say "no", or a "case of beer will call it square"...

now another co-worker wants me to do the same type thing for him... word is spreading... I don't want to be doing this all the time with no return on my time... this stuff isn't hard, but it does take time...

so, how do you bring up the subject and start charging, when you didn't before? have I screwed myself? I'm not looking to make this a business, but a little side-money for the 914 would be nice, since it's taking time away from my hobbies (914, video games, guitar)
bondo
You could tell them you're really busy, and keep putting them off smile.gif Or, just refer them to the first guy, who you have just taught smile.gif
Lou W
You tell them that it was a little more work than you expected, and that you would have to charge $XXX.XX to do any more. cool.gif
bondo
QUOTE (Lou W @ Mar 11 2005, 11:00 AM)
You tell them that it was a little more work than you expected, and that you would have to charge $XXX.XX to do any more. cool.gif

hahaha, or $XXXX.XX smile.gif Adjust price based on attitude smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.