Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: LED Headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
snakemain
Random search of LED headlights to check current prices triggered by a Jeep catalog email. Nighthawks are spensive. Trucklights are slightly less. Amazon sent me to a different brand by Autofeel for $120/ea. Amazon link If anyone wants to check these out, I'm sure we'd all be interested to see how well they work.

Note that customers who bought this item also bought "Make America Great Again" caps and corsets. I have no idea how that's related. Must be a Jeep thing.

~
mepstein
i like the ones i bought for my 914 and im not surprised they are going down in price as led technology gets more widespread. its a great upgrade!
mgp4591
So it says in the ad that they're normally 660.00 and the sale price is 129.95 but nowhere does it say if it's that price for a pair. 660 bucks is pretty expensive for one headlight so should I assume it's that price for a pair? That would be pretty incredible if it was only 130 bucks for a pair of LED headlights!
snakemain
Sounds like it's $129 for a single headlight. It was $120 when I posted it, so went up $10 in a couple hours.

I'll grab a set of Nighthawks or Trucklights for sure when I manage to get a job again.
Cairo94507
Angel eyes too. 80% discount is great but it scares me. Why are they so cheap? I bought the GE Nighthawk lights for my car and I look forward to seeing how they work at night.
JmuRiz
Crazy how their demand pricing works isn't it...it was 119 last night, now it's 129.

They are the same as the GE, Truck-lite, Kuryakyn...just have a different packaging.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 17 2015, 09:13 AM) *

Angel eyes too. 80% discount is great but it scares me. Why are they so cheap? I bought the GE Nighthawk lights for my car and I look forward to seeing how they work at night.

The guys at work are used to h1 & h4's. They call my nighthawk lights - flame throwers. They can't understand how the little 1.7 can power the lights. It's a must have for these cars. My dad has a set on his wrangler and loves them.
pvollma
SuperbrightLEDs has headlight replacements now:

7" Round LED Sealed Beams

I've purchased a lot of LED replacements from them for various interior and exterior bulbs, so these are on my wish list.
whitetwinturbo
Amazon reference details ONE at that price NOT a pair... type.gif
sfrenck
Just pulled the trigger on these as they are $160 for the pair

Amazon 7" LED that look like trucklites

Only 11 more in stock... get 'em while they last.
mgp4591
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Nov 17 2015, 10:28 AM) *

Me too! I checked out the company and it's Chinese but seem to have a good reputation. 160 bucks for a pair I couldn't really complain about.
Thanks for the tip!
Mueller
QUOTE(pvollma @ Nov 17 2015, 07:45 AM) *

I've purchased a lot of LED replacements from them for various interior and exterior bulbs, so these are on my wish list.

Not DOT legal and they seem more like flood lights with running lights?
Mikey914
My brother Matt made some connections at Sema, and we are supposed to be getting a few different ones to check out. We were going to do group buy when we have narrowed these down. It look like full DOT approved units will run about $120 per unit. Non DOT are about $20-25 less per unit. The problem is that our headlights move, so it has to be a sealed H4 unit to be held without modification.
I'll post more shortly as they should be in.
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 17 2015, 04:36 PM) *

My brother Matt made some connections at Sema, and we are supposed to be getting a few different ones to check out. We were going to do group buy when we have narrowed these down. It look like full DOT approved units will run about $120 per unit. Non DOT are about $20-25 less per unit. The problem is that our headlights move, so it has to be a sealed H4 unit to be held without modification.
I'll post more shortly as they should be in.

popcorn[1].gif
budk
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Nov 17 2015, 12:28 PM) *

Did you get your lights? I placed an order also and only received 1 light, even though it stated a pair. I looked at the part now and they changed the description to single light and dropped the price to $100.

I'm waiting to hear back from them.
mgp4591
QUOTE(budk @ Nov 22 2015, 11:05 AM) *

Did you get your lights? I placed an order also and only received 1 light, even though it stated a pair. I looked at the part now and they changed the description to single light and dropped the price to $100.

Oh crap, so did I because that's what was stated in the ad... headbang.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(pvollma @ Nov 17 2015, 09:45 AM) *

idea.gif I think I like these. Thanks for posting.
sfrenck
QUOTE(budk @ Nov 22 2015, 01:05 PM) *

I got my order last week with (2) lights for $160. The link, when I posted it, was limited to the first 12 orders I believe.

I installed them yesterday and love the way they look. Oh, and more importantly, they are so bright it hurts to look at them. Vast improvement over the original lights - now I just need LED fog lights and LED Euro parking light bulbs so that the lamp color temps all match.

Click to view attachment

Cairo94507
Nice. Please keep us in the loop with what you find for your driving lights. I want to go LED to replace the stock fogs but I also want to retain the original look.
pvollma
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Nov 23 2015, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(pvollma @ Nov 17 2015, 09:45 AM) *

idea.gif I think I like these. Thanks for posting.

Note that another member posted that these are not DOT-approved. If you dig down into the specs, they say they are for off-road use only.
budk
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Nov 22 2015, 08:20 PM) *

After sending them photo's of the box, they apologized and send that they will send me the 2nd bulb AND issue me a $15 credit which for sum reason ended up being a $17.79 credit. Now to address the DOT issue....
mepstein
QUOTE(budk @ Nov 23 2015, 06:44 PM) *

After sending them photo's of the box, they apologized and send that they will send me the 2nd bulb AND issue me a $15 credit which for sum reason ended up being a $17.79 credit. Now to address the DOT issue....

Why is it an issue? At least in real life.
sfrenck
No DOT issue for the ones I have (assuming they aren't doing any false advertising):

"Sui-36W Meets DOT requirements For Low Beam and High Beam Performance."

SuiTech SUI-36 website
sfrenck
Also got my Euro turn signal parking lights from AdvanceAuto: Sylvania 194LED

And my backup bulbs (haven't installed these yet):

Sylvania 1156 LED
sfrenck
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Nov 23 2015, 07:06 PM) *

Also got my Euro turn signal parking lights from AdvanceAuto: Sylvania 194LED

And my backup bulbs (haven't installed these yet):

Sylvania 1156 LED

Installed (no fogs yet):

Old bulb on the left
Click to view attachment

Both Sylvania reverse bulbs (and some cheap Pepboys backup LED 3rd brake light / reverse combo that I cut into my less than perfect targa pad)
Click to view attachment

194LEDs in Camp914 Euro turn signal conversion kit
Click to view attachment

All much brighter than the old bulbs - very satisfied.

Cairo94507
That is the first time I have seen a high-mount backup light combo. I kinda like that idea. idea.gif
mepstein
Are you going to do brake lights?
sfrenck
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 25 2015, 05:29 PM) *

Are you going to do brake lights?

Casually looking for the 1157 LED bulbs.

The 3rd brake light actually flashes like a motorcycle brake light when you first apply the pedal, then stays light bright red. Think that probably does more than any 1157 LED light in the normal locations.
rmdinmd
spoke's are fantastic, pricey but very bright and work well. I have both the brake and rear turn signal lights, love them.
mepstein
QUOTE(rmdinmd @ Nov 25 2015, 05:51 PM) *

spoke's are fantastic, pricey but very bright and work well. I have both the brake and rear turn signal lights, love them.

I have spokes and think they are great. I was wondering how well a stock led bulb will do.
Mikey914
The DOT issue, is really a matter of meeting specifications for output and not blinding other drivers.
Many of the non DOT approved assemblies are completely functional. They may not last as long or have the same standards for QC. They also have little if any warranty.

We are currently working with a vendor that has The DOT approval, but they don't fit correctly in the 914 housing as the wiring exits in a place that interferes with mounting. He can offer a 3 year warranty. Price points are much better than We've seen so far. The issue is working out the details so that we know they will be a plug and play with no "modification" to install.

We do also have contacts for the non DOT approved that are about $25 cheaper. These are a few items that we will be bringing in as soon as we are satisfied with fit and quality. Matt met these guys at SEMA.

budk
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 23 2015, 06:47 PM) *

QUOTE(budk @ Nov 23 2015, 06:44 PM) *

Why is it an issue? At least in real life.

If they are not DOT approved then the PA inspection station should not allow it to pass inspection. What is odd is that the description states that they are legal for on-road use in 50 States but no where on the box or on the lamp does it say DOT approved. I'm not going to worry about it... I got a pair for of bulbs for just under $143... I'm not complaining.
sfrenck
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 25 2015, 06:18 PM) *

The DOT issue, is really a matter of meeting specifications for output and not blinding other drivers.
Many of the non DOT approved assemblies are completely functional. They may not last as long or have the same standards for QC. They also have little if any warranty.

We are currently working with a vendor that has The DOT approval, but they don't fit correctly in the 914 housing as the wiring exits in a place that interferes with mounting. He can offer a 3 year warranty. Price points are much better than We've seen so far. The issue is working out the details so that we know they will be a plug and play with no "modification" to install.

We do also have contacts for the non DOT approved that are about $25 cheaper. These are a few items that we will be bringing in as soon as we are satisfied with fit and quality. Matt met these guys at SEMA.

So there isn't a DOT issue with the Nighthawk / Trucklite / SuiTech LEDs, but the 7" Superbright LEDs are listed for off-road use only. Also, no fitment issues for the N / T/ S ones either (literally plug them in).

Not pushing these as I don't have a horse in the race any longer - I'm happy with mine at the $80ea price point.
sfrenck
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 25 2015, 05:23 PM) *

That is the first time I have seen a high-mount backup light combo. I kinda like that idea. idea.gif

The one I found at pepboys was about $30. It is 3/4"x3/4" by 14" long and came with wiring long enough to reach my rear tail-light for connections (thru a new hole in the firewall by the battery). I notched the targa pad out to the metal base plate to recess the light a bit, and then used a bead of black silicone caulk to glue it in place.
Amphicar770
QUOTE(budk @ Nov 25 2015, 06:50 PM) *

If they are not DOT approved then the PA inspection station should not allow it to pass inspection. What is odd is that the description states that they are legal for on-road use in 50 States but no where on the box or on the lamp does it say DOT approved. I'm not going to worry about it... I got a pair for of bulbs for just under $143... I'm not complaining.

In PA, you should register your 914 with antique tags. Lifetime registration with no annual renewal fee and no state inspection required. Even with normal registration, only the most anal mechanic is going to go looking for a DOT imprint on headlamps.
mepstein
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Nov 25 2015, 08:30 PM) *

QUOTE(budk @ Nov 25 2015, 06:50 PM) *

In PA, you should register your 914 with antique tags. Lifetime registration with no annual renewal fee and no state inspection required. Even with normal registration, only the most anal mechanic is going to go looking for a DOT imprint on headlamps.

agree.gif exactly what I did. And the antique tag even allows for occasional driving to work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.