Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing original rear springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Next
Finally decided to replace my rear springs that are on the car. Would love to keep it as original as possible but the ass end is going to be dragging soon if I don't replace the springs.

Question is what are the best replacements? Are stock springs still available? I think I heard that stock were 90lb but most replace with 100lb springs. Not looking to go any stiffer than this. It's a pleasure car. Thoughts?
mepstein
QUOTE(914Next @ Nov 16 2015, 10:18 PM) *

Finally decided to replace my rear springs that are on the car. Would love to keep it as original as possible but the ass end is going to be dragging soon if I don't replace the springs.

Question is what are the best replacements? Are stock springs still available? I think I heard that stock were 90lb but most replace with 100lb springs. Not looking to go any stiffer than this. It's a pleasure car. Thoughts?

*there is no best but...I am very happy with 100lb springs on my stock early car - no sway bars. Ive heard as low as 70 for stock but 100 springs, 195x65x15 tires and moderate air pressure works fine for me.
914Sixer
Right now the only place I know that has stock springs is AA.
mepstein
I got mine from pelican for $100. They are something you can do in your driveway in an hour or less. When you take off the top nuts, you aim them at a card board box to absorb the spring.
white1975
you put the spare tire over it and sit on it
they come right off
siverson
100 lbs springs are great on a stock/street car.

Add four Bilsteins and its even better.

-Steve
JawjaPorsche
Got my 100 springs from AA.
maf914
The stock springs were supposedly 70 lbs, although I have also seen 80 and 90 quoted. I replaced mine with Weltmeister 100 lb springs from Automotion years ago. I could not really tell a difference from stock in ride quality. I have Koni red shock absorbers which work well with the springs. On my car there was an increase in rear ride height of about an inch or so when I made the change.
Rob-O
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 16 2015, 08:17 PM) *

I got mine from pelican for $100. They are something you can do in your driveway in an hour or less. When you take off the top nuts, you aim them at a card board box to absorb the spring.

QUOTE(white1975 @ Nov 16 2015, 08:22 PM) *

they come right off

Or you could be safe and go down to Autozone and borrow their spring compressors. You pay a deposit and get the whole deposit back when you return the spring compressors...with all your limbs in place and eyeballs intact.
914Next
Thanks, guys. I think I'll just go with 100lb springs.

Steve
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Nov 17 2015, 06:03 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 16 2015, 08:17 PM) *

QUOTE(white1975 @ Nov 16 2015, 08:22 PM) *

they come right off

Or you could be safe and go down to Autozone and borrow their spring compressors. You pay a deposit and get the whole deposit back when you return the spring compressors...with all your limbs in place and eyeballs intact.

Pepboys and O'Reilly's has a tool loaner too and I did loan twice already for the spring compressor. I remember you can hold on the tools for two weeks.
r_towle
You don't need a tool, just put it on the floor and push down on the cap till you can thread it....it's not a lot of pressing and unless you weight something like 120 lbs, you can just lean down a bit and it will compress enough.

Rich
rgalla9146
Don't touch the back.
Lower the front.
914Next
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 18 2015, 07:24 AM) *

Don't touch the back.
Lower the front.

What do you mean? And will that affect ride or handling?
mepstein
The back gets low as the springs sag. That's why even the shorter aftermarket springs will sometimes raise a car - it's gotten so much lower than stock.

914's came high in the front. Especially US cars. Personally I think they look and handle better when the rockers are parallel to the ground. It's an easy adjustment and can be changed back anytime. Then get the car aligned after a couple miles and the suspension settles in.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914Next @ Nov 18 2015, 09:39 PM) *

Don't touch the back.
Lower the front.

Your lower rear is a blessing in disguise.
Lower the front to just lower than the back.
The car will look better and handle better.
And as Mark said, then get a good wheel alignment.
That lower stance is an absolute signature of the most appealing sports cars.
Especially Porsches.
colingreene
I run a 140 pound spring and find it to be just about perfect.
I did not need the spring compressors but please use caution when taking the nuts off.
or have a friend help hold them compressed.
mepstein
RobW is right. It never huts to be safe. High lb springs can be dangerous. Don't aim it at your eyes, your car or your spouse. Old stock springs just need a towel or leather glove over the nut. Your not dealing with much force.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 18 2015, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(914Next @ Nov 18 2015, 09:39 PM) *

Don't touch the back.
Lower the front.

Your lower rear is a blessing in disguise.
Lower the front to just lower than the back.
The car will look better and handle better.
And as Mark said, then get a good wheel alignment.
That lower stance is an absolute signature of the most appealing sports cars.
Especially Porsches.

Good point ! Do you measure from the doughnut to the floor; lower fender lip to floor; or ?
Reason I ask is I,be heard of three different ways to measure.
r_towle
Fender lips are irregular.
Donuts are irregular
Measure from the front cross member where the adjust is located.

I take a measurement then cut a piece of a 2*4 to match my target height.
I can then reach in from the side and lower the adjuster till it hits the board sitting underneath it, and do both sides, then bounce the car, roll it back and forth a few feet to settle the wheels and measure and adjust again.

For the rear, I measure from the pivot point of the rear trailing arm to maintain accuracy.

Lots of advise on how to setup a car for racing etc, but if you think about weight shifting you may agree with the philosophy of setting the front of the car about 1/4 inch higher than the rear so when you hit the brakes the weight shift won't make the rear end get loose.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.