Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: License Plate Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_teener
http://www.restorationbydallas.com/

Had this guy restore my front plate which is the original California Blue.

Did a great job......it was pretty banged up and tweaked before he got it.

He is local to So Cal.

I have a before pic somewhere....but dont really want to post my plate no.
76-914
You had to know this was coming.......... thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
914_teener
Yea.....Yea.....

poke.gif

I.m to lazy to blurr the letters and numbers out.

He is a regular at the Pomona Swap meet....if you want to see his work.

Really nice guy......no affliation....other than I can vouch for his work.
mbseto
I don't think a person can do much with a license plate number unless they subscribe to a pay service. And if they subscribe to a pay service, all they need is your name to get nearly everything else.
914_teener
QUOTE(mbseto @ Nov 17 2015, 10:59 AM) *

I don't think a person can do much with a license plate number unless they subscribe to a pay service. And if they subscribe to a pay service, all they need is your name to get nearly everything else.

It is the "unless" that makes me. err on the side of caution.

His web site is a fair representation of his work IMHO.

DBCooper
Can't anyone on the highway see your plates? Parked in your driveway, in front of your house? I don't understand the issue.

914_teener
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Nov 17 2015, 12:34 PM) *

Can't anyone on the highway see your plates? Parked in your driveway, in front of your house? I don't understand the issue.

I'm not sure it.s an issue. I like to say it is prudence.

I have a tendency to trust people I know and have met personally or somebody that I know can.

I wouldn.t vouch for this guy unless I had met him or talked prior.

But that is just my personnal preference and I reserve my right to boundries that I am comfortable with.

Others will and do vary with their own.
Cal
I've had these guys replicate plates for me in the past and they do excellent work.

http://www.licenseplates.tv/index.php?main...=page&id=18

DBCooper
QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 17 2015, 01:26 PM) *

I have a tendency to trust people I know and have met personally or somebody that I know can.

But that is just my personnal preference and I reserve my right to boundries that I am comfortable with.

Sure, but I didn't mean that other guy, I don't understand why you're hesitant to show your license plate number here. Heck, it's MADE to be shown in public, isn't it, so people see it all the time when you drive? I know people do that, hide their plates when selling their cars, etc, etc, but I've never understood why. No big deal, just curious.

914_teener
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Nov 17 2015, 02:25 PM) *

Sure, but I didn't mean that other guy, I don't understand why you're hesitant to show your license plate number here. Heck, it's MADE to be shown in public, isn't it, so people see it all the time when you drive? I know people do that, hide their plates when selling their cars, etc, etc, but I've never understood why. No big deal, just curious.

Come to the R 66 event and you can see it in person....I.ll buy the beer.

Already splained why.

I am sure there are others that do plate resto as well....I liked him cause he was local and I went to his house to drop it off where he showed me some examples of his work.....in person.
Ansbacher
Here in a Florida a restored vintage plate is somewhat useless, as the state will not approve a vintage plate for street use if repainted, etc. etc. Guess you could still fix it to the front of the vehicle (Florida only issues rear plates) or hang it on a wall as memorabilia.

Ansbacher
McMark
Technically illegal in most states.

That being said, the original CA plates are painted top to bottom in the background color and then the letters are carefully dipped into the paint just enough to coat the tops of the letters. Similar to how Fuchs painted their wheels.
76-914

Hah. You beat me to it. My thoughts, zaractly!

QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 17 2015, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Nov 17 2015, 02:25 PM) *

Come to the R 66 event and you can see it in person....I.ll buy the beer.

Already splained why.

I am sure there are others that do plate resto as well....I liked him cause he was local and I went to his house to drop it off where he showed me some examples of his work.....in person.

Yea Paul, Rt 66 isn't too far if'n you git that hitch outa yer back. biggrin.gif
BTW, I emailed that company here in Socal to ask if they do Dealer Frames as well. drooley.gif
ctc911ctc
This thread reminds me of an experience when I was rebuilding a 914 1.7. I went to a Hermosa Beach Porsche hot-rod shop where I was buying parts and barely tolerated by the guys that ran the place.......maybe it was me? confused24.gif

One time I asked where to get a license plate painted. You'd think I was asking to date their wives......their comments were around the thought of just get a new one from the state......so glad there are people pursuing this now.

Thank you Teeners! Good references for finishing touches.
UROpartsman
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Nov 17 2015, 01:34 PM) *

X2.

P.S. It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Here in Georgia, one can actually register an old original Georgia plate for your car. Hence there are many restorers here do a great job. It is also very popular to show a car here with a California black plate, showing that the car was originally sold there.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
sjhenry1075
I live in MD and I actually have the original plates for my 71, but from what I've read, and I may be wrong, I cannot use them on the car.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yup many states are that way. Georgia happens to be very friendly towards the collector car society

quote name='sjhenry1075' date='Apr 10 2020, 06:55 AM' post='2802807']
I live in MD and I actually have the original plates for my 71, but from what I've read, and I may be wrong, I cannot use them on the car.
[/quote]
FlacaProductions
Indiana allows you to register and use a plate from the year of manufacture if that number/letter sequence is not currently in use. You can display that plate for normal use but they also issue a current plate that is your "real" plate and must be kept in the car and shown if requested by law enforcement. (shrug)

I'd like to get this one restored but then again, I like the patina since it is the actual plate that was on my wife's family car in the 70's. Her dad kept all of his old plates and I found this one in a milk crate in his garage. I just cleaned it up as much as I could, put some POR15 on the rusty spots around the edge and on the back and then clear coated it.

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
Here in Texas you can register a "Year of manufacture" plate for your car. I recently had a friend who found an original 1970 plate that will be great on Elwood.

Click to view attachment

I will have to get them refurbed once I get them here. He found them just before the stay at home order.

burton73
Hi Clay,

Eric @PMB sent my plates for a repaint and they did a perfect job. Call E and he should tell you who did them.

Best Bob B
Click to view attachment
eric9144
Damn Bob those look great! first.gif
914_7T3
[quote name='76-914' date='Nov 17 2015, 04:48 PM' post='2266293']

[/quote]

BTW, I emailed that company here in Socal to ask if they do Dealer Frames as well. drooley.gif

[/quote]

@76-914

Below are two SoCal sources that can restore vintage dealer plate frames. Pulled this info off of an old Early 911S Registry thread:

https://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/sh...ration-(chrome)

Vernes Chrome Plating
1559 W. El Segundo Boulevard
Gardena, California 90249
323-754-4126

Sihilling Metal Polishing
1702 Newport Cir., Unit D
Santa Ana, CA 92705
714-543-7051

Talked to Vernes earlier and they do not paint after chroming.

Will call Sihilling on Monday before deciding on which direction to go in with my frame.
FlacaProductions
There are some great threads on the early 911S registry board....they go down in the weeds on chroming and re-painting the frames - who is good...and who isn't. If you're taking one in and it's special, do your research and/or put a test case through to see if the work is up to your standards.

I have one from Tom Cheney Porsche in Harvey, IL which is where my 914 was originally sold - if I were to re-do the plate, I'd have the frame done as well but the patina on it matches the plate....
76-914
[quote name='914_7T3' date='Apr 10 2020, 05:18 PM' post='2802985']
[quote name='76-914' date='Nov 17 2015, 04:48 PM' post='2266293']

[/quote]

[/quote]

@76-914

Below are two SoCal sources that can restore vintage dealer plate frames. Pulled this info off of an old Early 911S Registry thread:

https://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/sh...ration-(chrome)

Vernes Chrome Plating
1559 W. El Segundo Boulevard
Gardena, California 90249
323-754-4126

Sihilling Metal Polishing
1702 Newport Cir., Unit D
Santa Ana, CA 92705
714-543-7051

Talked to Vernes earlier and they do not paint after chroming.

Will call Sihilling on Monday before deciding on which direction to go in with my frame.
[/quote]
Thx for the "Heads Up" but I had mine done by a guy in El Cajon, IIRC. Toolguy gave me the referral and he did a great job. ~$50 but worth it IMHO. beerchug.gif
914_teener
Here is the plate....the Cayman has a different plate now and the 914 is in Michigan unfortrunately as the plates were orginal to the car.

I.ll still vouch for the work.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.