Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk Torsion Bars Help Needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
First question - are both rear trunk torsion bars supposed to be identical to each other, or are they two distinct bent shapes? I recently bought a pair on eBay and what arrived are two bars, but each with a distinct difference in how they are shaped.

Second question - If the bars I received are correct, which is for the right hinge and which is for the left hinge?

Third question - Do some carb linkage setups prevent the use of rear trunk torsion bars due to the downlinks being in the way?

Would love to figure this out as I am tired of holding up my trunk with a pole and do not really want to go the gas shock routine.

Thanks all,

Ansbacher
'74 2.0

914Sixer
Yes there are left and right bars. I would have to look at a car to tell which is left or right. Linkage should not interfere with trunk in in form or fashion.
altitude411
ed lit smoke.gif biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Nov 17 2015, 08:32 PM) *

might help?

Uh, he said trunk torsion bars, not engine lid. beer3.gif
altitude411
ah, well.... whoops smoke.gif

Edit post beerchug.gif
ejm
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Nov 17 2015, 03:54 PM) *

Third question - Do some carb linkage setups prevent the use of rear trunk torsion bars due to the downlinks being in the way?

Yes, I seen the bars bent or cable tied to make clearance
Ansbacher
Maybe a pic will help. Do these bars look correct for rear trunk torsion bars? See how wildly different they are from one to the other? Click to view attachment
orbit398
I just put mine back on. The top one in the pic is correct, the bottom on is not.
Ansbacher
OK, we're getting closer. Looks like I got ripped off by 1/2. So, if the top bar in the pic is correct, can I assume it is for the LEFT hinge?

Ansbacher
orbit398
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Nov 18 2015, 09:47 AM) *

OK, we're getting closer. Looks like I got ripped off by 1/2. So, if the top bar in the pic is correct, can I assume it is for the LEFT hinge?

Ansbacher

The lower one looks like an engine cover torsion bar - at least in it's shape but those are much smaller in ID versus the rear trunk bars
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.