Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RAT 2056 on the dyno
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
My 2056 is alive! cheer.gif
Jake tuned it today expecting to get 125-130hp.
This build hit 145@6500 aktion035.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqu5GMNFA44

driving.gif
Racer
Nice!
trojanhorsepower
Nice Steve,
I guess you don't want to win that trophy again!
poorsche914
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Nov 17 2015, 09:18 PM) *
Nice Steve,
I guess you don't want to win that trophy again!

Don't want to be anywhere near it! happy11.gif

driving.gif
hot_shoe914
What kind of torque numbers did you get?
confused24.gif
Jake Raby
Mid 150s torque at 4000- 5000 RPM.

Idles at 850 like its stock.
malcolm2
Right on Steve.
Jetsetsurfshop
Nice numbers. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Nice! For a long time now I've thought that the 2056 is the perfect TypeIV. Entertaining, reliable, manners, longevity... Congrats!
Bulldog9
Care to share specs?
siverson
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Nov 17 2015, 07:58 PM) *

Care to share specs?

Bulldog9
No doubt............. shades.gif

QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 18 2015, 12:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Nov 17 2015, 07:58 PM) *

Care to share specs?

Jake Raby
I'll post a dyno graph tomorrow. This is the strongest combo like this we have done in a long time.

I seldom build a 2056, this is the only one we've done all year, and likely may be the last. The cost to build this engine is so similar to the 2270, that we seldom look to this combo for power.

The nice thing is this one does not require external oil cooling, or some other sub- systems that larger engines need.

I am likely to build this combo for my own VW Thing, just to keep the install cleaner, but since I don't need more than 5K, I'll change the cam and head profile for more TQ and less HP.
Jake Raby
Here's the final dyno plot. Much more "peaky" than a 2270, but this thing will really come on strong in the midrange. With a slightly different tuning method I could flatten the TQ out some, with a loss of some HP. We'll see how he likes it this way.

Click to view attachment
Zimms
Nice work Jake! Congratulations Steve! Long time coming.
johannes
72 hp / liter ... great achievement.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 18 2015, 02:31 AM) *

Is there a typo?

It looks to me that the pink line would be the Tq and the blue/purple line the Hp

Generally the Tq does not keep climbing as the RPMs increase toward redline.
dlee6204
When's the install party? driving.gif
Jake Raby
Yep, template got me! The Tq is the pink plot. Thats what I get for working 23 hours straight.

This is a powerful engine for what it is. Adding less than 90ccs netted a solid 50HP over stock performance.

JmuRiz
What a great motor...very nice power from a small (cc) improvement.

Awesome plug-n-play motor solution.
Bulldog9
I'd be interested to see cam, piston, valvetrain and spark/fuel delivery method choices for the motor.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Nov 18 2015, 07:19 AM) *

I'd be interested to see cam, piston, valvetrain and spark/fuel delivery method choices for the motor.

You, and everyone else...

I'll say this:

Mallory Unlite dizzy
Weber 44mm carbs (NOS Spanish)
Mueller
Nice....iron or Nickie cylinders?
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 18 2015, 07:38 AM) *

Nice....iron or Nickie cylinders?

Iron.
Two more engines after this one, and everything goes to Nickies.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Zimms @ Nov 18 2015, 06:58 AM) *
Nice work Jake! Congratulations Steve! Long time coming.
Thanks, Mark. Patience has paid off biggrin.gif
I'm really excited about getting this installed. Compared to my current tired engine, I bet power will be at least doubled w00t.gif

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Nov 18 2015, 09:38 AM) *
Not sure. Was planning to do some hell hole repair and general engine bay clean-up before installing.
914werke
So how about what heads? Are these "off the shelf" units available from the T4 store or some variation?
Jake Raby
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Nov 18 2015, 08:18 AM) *

So how about what heads? Are these "off the shelf" units available from the T4 store or some variation?

Off the shelf RS+ from The Type 4 Store.

I have done this combo with LE 200s and made 18+ more HP, but with a loss of torque down low by as much as 15%.
EdwardBlume
Damn nice motor smilie_pokal.gif
Bulldog9

Got it, thanks. So many variations on the theme.

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 18 2015, 11:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Nov 18 2015, 07:19 AM) *

You, and everyone else...

I'll say this:

Mallory Unlite dizzy
Weber 44mm carbs (NOS Spanish)

JoeD
OK Jake... now it's REALLY going to be torture for me to wait until March for my 2270...!!! Can't you work 24 straight hours...??? lol-2.gif
Van914
Congrats to you both.
Looks like a great motor.
Drive it and enjoy!
Al Meredith
Steve, I have a Raby 2056 in my 912E and love it . The Torque is what makes this combo so enjoyable. I built the engine myself with all Raby parts . I used iron cylinders though. I think Jake sent me a slightly different cam for use with the heavier 912. AL
Bulldog9
I have a "Steve" 2056....... drunk.gif (with the help of EMW, Hoffman, Raby, and Tangerine) I just finished and am looking forward to getting on a dyno. Very impressed with how strong the motor feels, but am expecting 120-130 at the wheels.

My problem is my daily driver is an E36 M3 and a Jeep with a Hemi V8, so my torque expectations/sense is null on my 912E.... That said, I'm impressed at how strong the motor pulls straight to the indicated 5600 RPM, and great response/midrange torque in 3rd & 4th gear, including a strong 'rolling' response in 4th & 5th gear, and effortless 70MPH.

I'm sure this sounds like abroken record, but I have never driven a 912E or 914 for that matter, though in H.S. Lots of air cooled hot rod VW's, Bugs, 411 (UGLY mobile), Bus, etc.

Will be interesting to see how it goes on the dyno.... And hopefully drive something similar to compare one of these days.

Always exciting to see a new motor build, and these great cars staying alive & competitive.

THANKS to all for your help along the way.

QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Nov 18 2015, 08:01 PM) *

Steve, I have a Raby 2056 in my 912E and love it . The Torque is what makes this combo so enjoyable. I built the engine myself with all Raby parts . I used iron cylinders though. I think Jake sent me a slightly different cam for use with the heavier 912. AL

Jake Raby
QUOTE(JoeD @ Nov 18 2015, 03:18 PM) *

OK Jake... now it's REALLY going to be torture for me to wait until March for my 2270...!!! Can't you work 24 straight hours...??? lol-2.gif

I was working on it earlier today...
SchwarzHorse
I'll compare to these figures when I bolt my NOS Spanish Weber 44s to my rebuilt modified T4 idea.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Nov 18 2015, 09:46 AM) *

Not sure. Was planning to do some hell hole repair and general engine bay clean-up before installing.

Let me know if you need a helping hand. I am always looking for an excuse to drive, work on 914 then drive some more.

Clark
poorsche914

A date has been selected - Saturday, March 5 at a location in South Knoxville. Any 914ers who would like to stop by and make it a party, let me know so there will be enough beer and other goodies to reward you with beerchug.gif

I plan on removing the old engine and cleaning up the engine bay Friday afternoon/evening and doing the new engine install on Saturday. If all goes well, should have plenty of time for some test drives Saturday afternoon w00t.gif

driving.gif
thelogo
Just curious but what would a cruising speed be with 50+ horse from stock .

Any body happen to know the top speed record?

For a 4 cylinder 914

If not lets all better meet up at bonaville

beer3.gif pray.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Feb 20 2016, 09:31 PM) *

A date has been selected - Saturday, March 5 at a location in South Knoxville. Any 914ers who would like to stop by and make it a party, let me know so there will be enough beer and other goodies to reward you with beerchug.gif

I plan on removing the old engine and cleaning up the engine bay Friday afternoon/evening and doing the new engine install on Saturday. If all goes well, should have plenty of time for some test drives Saturday afternoon w00t.gif

driving.gif

I do believe I am free. I will pencil it in.

Clark
dlee6204
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Feb 20 2016, 10:31 PM) *

driving.gif

Dang, I'm scheduled for work that day but hopefully I won't have to go in. Will know closer to the date.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.