Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
Going from old-wornout-came-on-the-car KYB to free-better-condition KYB. Something always bites me in the ass. One of my top nuts is stripped.

Anyway:
I did notice that the springs going on have 11 coils and the ones coming off have 8. I was told the ones going on were 100# springs. The ones coming off have SP100 weltmeister printed on them.

So what is the deal with the coil count?
malcolm2
anyone know about springs?

I figured the heavy ones would have a larger steel bar cross section but not more or less coils.
relentless
Fewer coils for the same wire type and diameter makes for a stiffer spring. We used to cut a coil off of the spring on a dirt bike to stiffen it up back in the day.
malcolm2
I was thinking the opposite. More coils more weight stiffer springs. Does anyone know the ratio coils to pounds?

Since my old ones have 8 coils and a 100 printed on them I guess that would be a good baseline. Would 20% more coils equal 20% less stiffness?
Dave_Darling
Google says:

http://www.bluecoilspring.com/rate.htm

Basically, the less material you have the stiffer the spring. Think of our car's front torsion bars. Would a long bar twist more easily, or a short one? Yeah, the long one would. Now wrap that torsion bar around and around, and you get a coil spring. More coils means longer length of material, means softer spring.

The short answer: Given the same material, wire diameter, and so forth, the 8-coil spring would be about 25% stiffer than the 10-coil spring.

--DD
bulitt
Imagine unraveling the spring into a straight length.
You could bend a 4 ft piece with your hands.
Now try to bend a 6 inch section. wont happen.
It's basically a lever wound round.
malcolm2
GOOGLE not sure why i did not think of that. Thanks. I'll have them on the car this afternoon.

Thanks for the input.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.