Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
mb911
Click to view attachment

Son did some work on the car. He has never welded before but not much to screw up so perfect learning for him.
jd74914
That's awesome! I have some great memories welding with my dad and grandpa as a kid.
mb911
Well haven't worked on it much lately as been concentrated on shipping the 1-5/8" heat exchangers. I received some goodies though some 2.2 S pistons for my 2.4 , my heads redone and ported to 36mm ports both courtesy of Henry @supertec.

I will resume some welding this week and looks like I need to send the crank out for inspection probably case for a line hone both going to supertec.. Guess I need to make some new products to fund this.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 7 2017, 12:04 PM) *

Well haven't worked on it much lately as been concentrated on shipping the 1-5/8" heat exchangers. I received some goodies though some 2.2 S pistons for my 2.4 , my heads redone and ported to 36mm ports both courtesy of Henry @supertec.

I will resume some welding this week and looks like I need to send the crank out for inspection probably case for a line hone both going to supertec.. Guess I need to make some new products to fund this.

Lookin good!!! Can't wait to get my heat exchangers!!
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 8 2017, 12:40 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 7 2017, 12:04 PM) *

Lookin good!!! Can't wait to get my heat exchangers!!

Yours are 1 of the sets pictured..
Steve
piratenanner.gif pray.gif Yea!! Can't wait!!
JmuRiz
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 3 2016, 12:37 PM) *

Son did some work on the car. He has never welded before but not much to screw up so perfect learning for him.

Well...at least he has a good instructor!
jmill
Are those S Pistons ceramic coated? I swear, every time I look at one of your threads it costs me money. drooley.gif
mb911
QUOTE(jmill @ Jan 9 2017, 08:44 AM) *

Are those S Pistons ceramic coated? I swear, every time I look at one of your threads it costs me money. drooley.gif

Yup.
mb911
All the major structural repair has been done so now floor pans and cleaning up underside and repair some bad areas (i know there are allot of those

Finished up rear suspension etc. Plated everything.. See some progress.Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment.
PanelBilly
I see holes in the floor pans. Are you going to make lower seat mounts to give you more head room?
mb911
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 20 2017, 07:41 AM) *

I see holes in the floor pans. Are you going to make lower seat mounts to give you more head room?

No needs a rear floor pan so this is the easy way for me to get in there and weld em up.
pete-stevers
I sure like six threads drooley.gif
It warms my heart! aktion035.gif
mb911
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Apr 20 2017, 06:26 PM) *

Things are coming together still slow but that is fine by me
mb911
So made some progress this week. I welded a bit more small repair areas. Waiting on a firewall and floor pan section and then I will finish the underside this summer for sure.

The case came in yesterday from all the machining. Looks great now lots of cleaning.

mepstein
Tomorrow I'm sending you that long promised sideshift transmission.
Tried to clean the undercoating off and the steam pressure washer gave out after a couple minutes. headbang.gif
Justinp71
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Apr 20 2017, 07:26 PM) *

Totally Agree piratenanner.gif
mb911
Thanks everyone.

The trans I currently have is a core at best as the ears were broken off at some point and the gear lube is black as black can be so Mark you are helping me out big..

Yesterday I removed one of the 4cyl engine mount on driver side. Fixed some more rusty areas.. I am plugging away.

Talked to Henry on more parts for my engine. Going to have about 6k in parts but the engine will basically be new. The crank and bearings are the most expensive part and would make all of you sick. Good thing no timeline on this.
mb911
Spent a little time today blending the inner long I fabricated on the driver side. Turning out nice. I will post pictures soon..
mb911
Here are some pictures and updates.. Everyday been making a little progress. Go out at 5am work until 5:45 then leave for work so it is slow going.

The case was at supertec. The fan assembly I restored myself.. Almost done on driverside rust repair. Passenger side next week then waiting on firewall and a driverside patch panel from a member that is down for the count with a shoulder injury for a bit. Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=604
095]Click to view attachment
mb911
So made some progress as the bottom flange lip on the tunnel was rusted . I need to just grind and blend it now along with punching a hole in it for wire pass through. Lots of grinding in my future

I also took some time to make some of the engine sheet metal. These 2 pieces and took about and hour.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
restore2seater
Any thoughts on selling engine sheet metal for a 6 conversion?
mb911
QUOTE(restore2seater @ May 16 2017, 09:54 AM) *

Any thoughts on selling engine sheet metal for a 6 conversion?

I think i might but not just yet...
mb911
Finished off the tunnel repair.Click to view attachment
mb911
Made the hardest of the sheet metal pieces today. It is 2 pcs as i am not sure how else to make it without a die or having it look horrible. I will probably draw these up and have laser cuts made.Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment

Another piece done.

Soon bigger sections will be done. Once the floor pan is on it will really look like headway is being made.
mb911
Finished all 5 pieces of sheet metal just need to drill and sand a few spots. Finished gt reinforcement kit on passenger side, have to grind and blend a bit.. Welded -6 oil line hook from mcmark on

Firewall soon as soon as tygaboy is healed he will ship me his and the rear floor pan will go on.

Received my latest batch of replated parts/ hardware today including my head studs for the engine and misc parts. Thats always fun..

I have about 4 more weeks that i will put in a 3-4 hours a week amd then a break for a while as i have some vacation coming soon.
mb911
Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
.............love the look of new zinc plate aktion035.gif
mb911
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ May 23 2017, 07:04 PM) *

.............love the look of new zinc plate aktion035.gif

Mee too. Best part is that it is so inexpensive.
mb911
Found some pictures of my last conversion today.. Some of the details i want to do on this build. Though i am thinking black instead of red.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
11tenths
And I thought clear filter tops so you can see the stacks was my idea.

May I ask what material you found to withstand the fuel/possible backfire environment?

-Harry
mb911
I used plexiglass from glass shop.
mb911

These cars i owned inbetween 914s and built the turbo from a 77s and built a 3.2 ss turbo engine.
mb911
Just went out for another hour and fixed the passenger side tunnel flange, lower corner of passenger long.

My issue is the stamping done on the bottom of the passenger long(inner) is really not easy to replicate so i need to think on that as that is what the floor pan welds too. I can patch it but I really only need a 1.5" 90 degree piece about 30" long but have to have the stampings to lool right.
mepstein
The 964 looks so generic next to the turbo. It's partly the color but it really seems like porsche went the wrong direction with the cosmetics on that car. JMO.
horizontally-opposed
This pic has me wishing someone would do rain hat carb covers in real glass. Just so sexy to look down on the trumpets...
mb911
914rubber maybe a new product.
forrestkhaag
We have injection moulding experts in the Urban Workshop / I will do a little asking on what would be the best Lexan or other clear plastic to form / most likely a copy of my rain hats....... hmmmmm $$???
beerchug.gif
GeorgeRud
I'd think you'd want to use something non-flammable. I remember seeing the mess an original -6 was when a backfire ignited a stock plastic air box and the melted plastic was dripping down the carbs. Ugly to say the least!
JmuRiz
+1 what GeorgeRud said.
My engine mechanic isn't a fan of pipercross filters because of this as well.

They flow great, but if you get them soaked in fuel and backfire...it's a REAL mess.
mb911
My engine sheet metal is getting powdercoated right now. Floor pan goes on this week. Drilled all the areas for the plug welds. Sprayed cold galv on all thw areas that are hidden. Did a bunch of grinding and blending.. Almost over the hurdle.
mb911
Here is a bottom long replacement.. You can see some of the previous owners repair. Gotta clean all of that up yet. Making good headway. Rear half floor pan starts tomorrowClick to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment

And floor is tacked in.
mb911
Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Looking great! New metal always looks nice and the welding looks sublime.
mb911
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jun 21 2017, 04:24 AM) *

Looking great! New metal always looks nice and the welding looks sublime.

Funny thing is I bought that floor pan 2 years ago.. Unreal it took this long to put it in place..
whitetwinturbo
smash.gif welder.gif beer.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Jun 21 2017, 12:09 PM) *

He's waiting on a piece from me sawzall-smiley.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 21 2017, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Jun 21 2017, 12:09 PM) *

He's waiting on a piece from me sawzall-smiley.gif

...and on a chunk of floor from me, too. It shipped yesterday! cheer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.