Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
mb911
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
@mb911

install of the throttle cable is like pushing a rope. Only worse because corriosion on inside of the tube can hang things up.

Have you tried a thin gauge wire to thread through 1st from the pedal end and use it to pull the rope (i.e. throttle cable)? I have done this myself.

Alternatively, I wonder if a flexible rod and brass brush like a 22GA gun cleaning brush could be run though to knock down any corrosion? I have never tried this.

In the case of getting my most recent rust bucket running before I cut it up for long repairs, I actually had to cut open the tunnel and cut the throttle cable tube where the cable was hanging up. Don't suspect yours could be that bad.
mb911
I can get weedeater line through no problem.. I am afraid there might be some weld penetration bled through in an area.. How about those small flexible drill bits?
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 26 2020, 04:22 PM) *

I can get weedeater line through no problem.. I am afraid there might be some weld penetration bled through in an area.. How about those small flexible drill bits?

@mb911

Your weld or OEM weld?

If it were an OEM weld then wiggling the cable should be able to get the threaded part of the throttle cable around the obstruction. If the OEM cable went in so should yours. In my case I've used thin wire and wrapped it arund the thread and then taped over it with electrical tape w/o making the OD of the threaded portion of the cable any larger. I'm not sure you can do the same with weed eater line.

If you're talking about weld bleed though from work you've done all bets are off. headbang.gif

Yeah, maybe one of those long flexible drills that electrical contractors use? Do they make them that small? I think that cable tube is too small, long and curved to get a look with a borescope. confused24.gif

What about coiled, soft annealed copper tube with OD slightly smaller than throttle cable tube ID. Can that be fed in and "forced" back and forth to clear a rust obstruction. I don't think it would work for weld penetration. Maybe would burnish any sharp weld slag?

Hmm. I'll keep thinking.
mb911
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 26 2020, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 26 2020, 04:22 PM) *

Your weld or OEM weld?

If it were an OEM weld then wiggling the cable should be able to get the threaded part of the throttle cable around the obstruction. If the OEM cable went in so should yours.

If you're talking about weld bleed though from work you've done all bets are off. headbang.gif

Yeah, maybe one of those long flexible drills that electrical contractors use? Do they make them that small? I think that cable tube is too small, long and curved to get a look with a borescope. confused24.gif

What about coiled, soft annealed copper tube with OD slightly smaller than throttle cable tube. Can that be fed in and "forced" back and forth to clear a rust obstruction. I don't think it would work for weld penetration. Maybe would burnish any sharp weld slag?

Hmm. I'll keep thinking.

I can't remember if I welded on any of it or not.. Can you imagine if I have to figure out how to run a new one? Ugh..
bbrock
Throttle is the last cable I haven't installed on the car yet so no clue. I do know that I had to run a wire bottle brush through my e-brake and clutch tubes before I could get the cables to feed nicely.
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 26 2020, 02:31 PM) *

Throttle is the last cable I haven't installed on the car yet so no clue. I do know that I had to run a wire bottle brush through my e-brake and clutch tubes before I could get the cables to feed nicely.

@bbrock where did you get the bottle brush?
bbrock
If you have to bore/grind out the tube, metal electrical fish tape makes for a cheap flexible drill shaft. For boring wood, I just cut it at an angle to make a point. For something like this, I'll bet you could weld a burr, bit, or stone onto the end to work while spinning with a drill. It's a thought anyway.

I'd start with trying to pull a steel wire bottle brush through. I found brass brushes to be too soft to break up the crud but steel worked great.
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 26 2020, 03:37 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 26 2020, 02:31 PM) *

@bbrock where did you get the bottle brush?

HF. I think I bought an assorted pack for a few bucks.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 11 2019, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 9 2019, 09:14 PM) *

So thinking about trying to polish the glass and get rid of the scratches.. Any one have any luck with that?

Windshield scratches can be polished out.
Side glass not possible.
I've had the same issue with side glass and made no progress.
Not for lack of effort.
It has something to do with the properties of the glass.

I'm afraid I must eat some crow.
There was a recent thread here that covered this issue.
It is possible to remove scratches from side glass.
Patience is required.
mepstein
I’m happy to check my extras from my parts car and see if I can find some good side glass. I’m sure you can do it but if I have some decent ones sitting around ...
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 10 2020, 09:31 AM) *

Working a bit on oil line solutions.. In light of recent discoveries that factory style scavenge line does not work with the naroscape or PMS engine mounts I decided to come up with a solution for others. I chose Russell pro line classic AN hose as it has a blue tracer much like the original.. I may actually get these made in proper 30mm setups for those that want one.. I used orange fire sleeve which I may take off as I will use Adel clamps to hold the hose away from the headers. Pictured is project in progress.. Its not done but spit balling at this point. Click to view attachment

Ben I used a hangar from the chassis down to one of the rigid tubes at the bottom of the thermo. It clamps onto the tube to allow some adjustability.
Additioal support and location is provided to the thermo by replacing the hose
from the tank to the scavenge line with a solid rigid tube.
Engine vibration and movement is absorbed by a hose that extends from the
thermo toward a fabricated scavenge line that extends around the front of the
engine.
Picture attached.

bbrock
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 26 2020, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 11 2019, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 9 2019, 09:14 PM) *

So thinking about trying to polish the glass and get rid of the scratches.. Any one have any luck with that?

Windshield scratches can be polished out.
Side glass not possible.
I've had the same issue with side glass and made no progress.
Not for lack of effort.
It has something to do with the properties of the glass.

I'm afraid I must eat some crow.
There was a recent thread here that covered this issue.
It is possible to remove scratches from side glass.
Patience is required.

Yep, that was me. Details in the last few pages of my build thread. Emphasis on the patience. It is definitely work.
rgalla9146
Picture showing support from chassis to lower rigid tube.
I can't believe it's been a year plus since I devised this.
Tbrown4x4
If you have an old speedometer cable, you can pull out the inner wire and fray the end to make a flexible "brush", and run it through the throttle tube with a drill motor. If there's more than rust in there, maybe you could feel where it's hanging up.
mb911
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Mar 26 2020, 05:37 PM) *

If you have an old speedometer cable, you can pull out the inner wire and fray the end to make a flexible "brush", and run it through the throttle tube with a drill motor. If there's more than rust in there, maybe you could feel where it's hanging up.

That's a good idea.. I don't but starts working towards the possible solution
mb911
Got the cable figured out. Yeah.. Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 30 2020, 06:13 PM) *

Got the cable figured out. Yeah..

Now c'mon... spill it. What was the solution? smile.gif
Tdskip
Wondering if someone created an obstruction by trying to make sure the clutch line didn’t move?
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 30 2020, 05:44 PM) *

It was plastic sheathing.. Happy its all good now.. The goal is tp get it running in the next few month's
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 30 2020, 09:49 PM) *

It was plastic sheathing.. Happy its all good now.. The goal is tp get it running in the next few month's

Not clear on what you did. Old plastic sheathing that was still in tube or that you had to trim the new cable sheath?

Plumbing and bottom of engine look nice and tidy! Well done!. Can't wait to see video of it running.
Cairo94507
Great progress Ben. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 4 2020, 05:57 AM) *

Not clear on what you did. Old plastic sheathing that was still in tube or that you had to trim the new cable sheath?

Plumbing and bottom of engine look nice and tidy! Well done!. Can't wait to see video of it running.

@superhawk996 there was some sort of lining inside the tube.. Seems maybe it was from an old cable? Not sure..
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 4 2020, 10:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 4 2020, 05:57 AM) *

@superhawk996 there was some sort of lining inside the tube.. Seems maybe it was from an old cable? Not sure..

Yeah, probably from an old cable. Terry Cable and others used to have a section of nylon sheath that extended beyond the metal wound cable housing. Sounds like an old piece of it. Nice find! Thanks for the clarifiction.
mb911
Mounted the MSD box.. Probably work on wiring this evening.. Put the panels on the doors just for safe keeping.. Thanks @mepstein Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
Dion
Looking good Ben. Cool tach. Can’t wait to hear ya fire it up.
whitetwinturbo
pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
mb911
Thanks @mepstein for the mirrors.. Gas tank is in, fresh air box is in.. Hole cut in the hood. Wiring is 90% figured out.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
raynekat
Coming along there nicely Ben. Looks great. Love that Orange!
Cairo94507
Ben, your car is going to be on the road before you know it. Great progress. beerchug.gif
mb911
Thanks.. My goal is to get it running.. I likely will not insure it to drive it for a couple years.. Too many expenses with all of the kids and the corona virus has shut down my primary job.. It will be fine because I will be able to really fine tune before I get out and drive it..
mb911
Doesn't look like allot was accomplished but it I have passenger side all wired and I have the oil lines run to the front cooler.. Its getting there. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
@mb911 - can I ask what gauge / sender combo did you use for oil temp?

Thanks for the updates, good progress.
mb911
@tdskip it is a NOS 72 oil temp/pressure 911 gauge and new senders..

Tdskip
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 12 2020, 09:40 AM) *

@tdskip it is a NOS 72 oil temp/pressure 911 gauge and new senders..

Thanks and Happy Easter.

I don’t want to derail your thread, let me do some searching on gauges and centers. Should be able to just reference that all by part number in PET
mb911
I found it on pelicanparts classified section for $150 shipped.. It was a great deal
whitetwinturbo
................now THAT'S an orange Easter egg...Love Love Love beer3.gif
raynekat
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Apr 12 2020, 07:33 AM) *

@mb911 - can I ask what gauge / sender combo did you use for oil temp?

Thanks for the updates, good progress.

You can't beat 911 gauges.
This is from a 73 911.
They are quite plentiful on Ebay and other places.

Click to view attachment
mb911
I agree.. The last 6 I built had 74 911 gauges, brakes, suspension and engine in it..
mb911
A couple update pictures..getting close.. Hoping to power it up next week.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mb911
And its alive.. The wiring is still a mess as I bought this as a none runner and it has a bunch of 73/74 year wiring differences. But it runs.. This is a bit hot wired though

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid...029534223928295
bbrock
Way Cool! piratenanner.gif
mb911
I am excited.. But still have a ton of wiring to figure out..
Cairo94507
That is as cool as it gets when building one of these. The first time it draws breath again. Very exciting. Ben, what muffler do you have on your car? beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 4 2020, 02:55 PM) *

That is as cool as it gets when building one of these. The first time it draws breath again. Very exciting. Ben, what muffler do you have on your car? beerchug.gif

@cairo94507 it is the prototype quiet muffler.. It is about perfect sounding.. Not loud .. Very happy with it.. Now I need to do a nice walk around video soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.