Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
930cabman
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 4 2021, 03:19 PM) *

Lookin good, I like the toy car in the background. Just like daddy's. Will you be tearing up the road soon?
914e
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 7 2020, 03:34 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 7 2020, 02:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 7 2020, 12:04 PM) *

Love the plated and lightened hood hinges. idea.gif

Looks great and coming along nicely. Glad to see you're making progress and didn't sell the car!

I've also got to take a look at MaxJax requirements for floor thickness and ceiling heights - that looks like a nice rig!

I talked to Ben a bit about the Maxjax and bought one on the black Friday sale. I only have an 8.5' ceiling so a mid rise two post should be good. The shop had real two post lifts and they made working on Porsche's very easy. I haven't checked my concrete yet but if it turns out to be too thin, I'll just cut it out and add more.

I like the idea of portability, not only for moving the posts out of the way but for adding a second set of mounts so I could move the lift to the center of the garage when I want a lot of room around the car but also have mounts on the side so I can keep two cars side by side if needed.

I've seen guys use them for their pick up trucks but I'll never have anything more than a Porsche on the lift so it's more than enough lift for me. The new ones have some nice improvements but do cost more.

agree.gif

Much more adjustment with the new ones.. Mine was last year black Friday.. Just before they sold out to the new company.. Actually it was 2 years ago.. I made a bracket to mount the power pack on the wall.. That helps clears space..

Does the lift go high enough to fit a 914 under the lift?
mb911
I think it does.. its part of the next winter storage plan. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(914e @ Jan 4 2021, 07:05 PM) *

Looks great and coming along nicely. Glad to see you're making progress and didn't sell the car!

I've also got to take a look at MaxJax requirements for floor thickness and ceiling heights - that looks like a nice rig!

I talked to Ben a bit about the Maxjax and bought one on the black Friday sale. I only have an 8.5' ceiling so a mid rise two post should be good. The shop had real two post lifts and they made working on Porsche's very easy. I haven't checked my concrete yet but if it turns out to be too thin, I'll just cut it out and add more.

I like the idea of portability, not only for moving the posts out of the way but for adding a second set of mounts so I could move the lift to the center of the garage when I want a lot of room around the car but also have mounts on the side so I can keep two cars side by side if needed.

I've seen guys use them for their pick up trucks but I'll never have anything more than a Porsche on the lift so it's more than enough lift for me. The new ones have some nice improvements but do cost more.

agree.gif

Much more adjustment with the new ones.. Mine was last year black Friday.. Just before they sold out to the new company.. Actually it was 2 years ago.. I made a bracket to mount the power pack on the wall.. That helps clears space..

Funny, I just asked Ben the same thing yesterday. I think it will with a lowered 914.
914e
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 4 2021, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(914e @ Jan 4 2021, 07:05 PM) *

agree.gif

Funny, I just asked Ben the same thing yesterday. I think it will with a lowered 914.

Worst case I could have front anchor points for storage with a nose of one car under the other, and center anchor points to be able to work completely around the car.
mb911
Well you will notice this is the 2nd bumper on this car. I sold a bunch of parts to fund a not so fun endeavor last year. Anyway now that we are in 2021 a freshly chromed bumper from Oscar arrived. Bolted on and getting closer.
mb911
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Looks great Ben!
mb911
Here is my next distraction. Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
raynekat
Nice shark there Ben.
bbrock
Such a cool car. The hours in my college youth I spent fantasizing about owning one of these unattainable beauties... drooley.gif Now when I see one with a for sale sign, or even a 944, I have to talk myself down. However, when I stumble across a long in the tooth 959 at a bargain, I'll have to pull the trigger. lol-2.gif
mb911
Spring here. Car is on the ground with the new header design. My buddy George hanging out todayClick to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
raynekat
Those headers are beauties.
racer914
Very nice Ben, looks great.
Dion
Looking awesome! Kids seem to be enjoying.
Cool shark btw. beerchug.gif
mb911
Main power disconnect installed and all lights less the license plate lights, rough alignment is good. Ready to hit the road and tuneClick to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Here are some adventures from my 1st 150 miles or so on the car.

1.Ran out of gas bringing it to storage for 2 days while I worked on someone elses car (no longer working on others cars ever)

2. Drove the car back from sitting in storage and it ran well but seems to run out of gas up top so I need to work on that.

3. 4 the gear wanders a bit(location)

4. It seams the clutch tube must move up and down a bit when when actuatuating it and may actually come in contact with the brake line in the tunnel. Not sure need to work through that

5. Gas guage does not work. Must need a new sender

6. Had on an incline for a bit with nose down and it started right up but died after about 5-10 seconds because float bowls must have been jambed shut and no gas in the float bowls. Rolled it off the incline and all was good. Fired right up.

Now to do some tuning.. have good oil pressure so thats great. Oil temps are good. The single heat exchanger works fantastic. Had temo swings from 37-80 over the last week and it has performed perfectly. I have had the fun of all the trash from the heat tubes blowing all over the cabin. And also one loud back fire in the neighborhood.. love working out all these issues.

Root_Werks
Be proud, that's actually a pretty short list for having just gotten back on the road!
Cairo94507
Enjoy every single issue because it means you are driving your car. That is a huge accomplishment and you can be proud. beerchug.gif
mepstein
Ben - Are you using the trans I gave you or a different one? I'm just curious if it was a good runner or something else.
bbrock
Holy cow! How did I miss these monumental developments? Nice job! And yes, I'd be happy to have a to-do list like that piratenanner.gif
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 6 2021, 07:04 PM) *

Ben - Are you using the trans I gave you or a different one? I'm just curious if it was a good runner or something else.

Yes I am and it works overall very good.
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 6 2021, 07:18 PM) *

Holy cow! How did I miss these monumental developments? Nice job! And yes, I'd be happy to have a to-do list like that piratenanner.gif

Thanks. Its been a long road.
rgalla9146

Ben your car looks beautiful !
Great job.
Enjoy it.
mb911
300 mile check in. Car runs great. Had fuel pressure problem, and some oil leaks. Big thing now is the rsr seals on the rocker shaft "upgrade" I did over the winter has now caused an oil leak and now I have to drain the oil and pull the bottom valve covers. Ugh. Anyway drives very nice and great power.
mb911
Well #1 exhaust rocker slipped forward and caused the leak. Easier fix then planned.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 29 2021, 04:27 AM) *

Well #1 exhaust rocker slipped forward and caused the leak. Easier fix then planned.

Easy fixes don't come by often, nice!
Dion
Damn I missed the post when it became roadworthy. Congrats!
Looks wonderful. Glad you are sorting out them bugs. I’m sure you’ll get plenty of seat time in the coming months. Glad to see it out. Nice one Ben.
preach
Beautiful! beerchug.gif
Justinp71

Looking great! Maybe a nominee for COTM!
mb911
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Apr 29 2021, 02:27 PM) *

Looking great! Maybe a nominee for COTM!

Thanks everyone. It really runs well now.
mb911
Early summer updates. The car runs pretty well. Messed with the 123 dizzy more and it helped a bunch. I really need to tune the carbs so bought a wide and AEM . Haven't done anything yet with it as first step is to put the carb insulators on. I heard the gas in the carbs boil the other day and that was enough for me to buy the kit. Waiting on that to show up.

Overall very happy with the car considering what a rust bucket it was. It needs a bunch of odds and ends done but it is road worthy and enjoy driving it on the typical 10 mile run. Spending the summer on the boat as it's hot as hell around here. Click to view attachment
mb911
End of summer at 850 miles on the car for the year. Not bad for a shake down year. Last year for summer travel baseball for my 17 yo so next year more miles. Impression for the 1st summer driving was that It ran great. Good power, good sounds, a few oil leaks on the engine so that may come out next year for a few seal replacements and a valve adjustment. Driver side 1/4 needs a respray but I just went with it for this year. Might respray in a year or so. Just enjoying it for now. Really happy with the car in general. My home alignment worked pretty good but next year I will have someone else do it. The darn clutch cable did stretch this summer so that was not fun. Might be a yearly wear item for me.

Here is a shot from the grocery store. Had so many thumbs ups and conversations with random people. Good times.. Click to view attachment
nditiz1
Nice work
raynekat
Who wouldn’t give you a thumbs up. Looks great. Enjoy the heck out of it.
mb911
Getting ready for spring. The stainless header and heat exchanger are coming off my car and stock heat exchangers are going on. Can't wait to get it out of storageClick to view attachment
jim dorociak
Ben - why are you changing from your stainless steel exhaust system to factory? Did you have heat? Jim
mb911
QUOTE(jim dorociak @ Mar 20 2022, 12:52 PM) *

Ben - why are you changing from your stainless steel exhaust system to factory? Did you have heat? Jim

Long story but I also want to see how the tone changes on the car. I do have heat exchangers on the car currently.
mb911
Car is home. Missed it over the winter. Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
That looks like a done 914, nice!
Cairo94507
Ben, your car looks great. Battery tender?
mb911
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 21 2022, 01:50 PM) *

Ben, your car looks great. Battery tender?

Yup trying to fit to much in the 3 stall garage.

Currently 1 928 getting ready for paint, 10 oil tanks in process,my 914 in need of fixing the driver side 1/4. The foam gods that I thought I defeated have reared their ugly head, my sons subaru, wife honda pilot, my daughters bikes etc.. a ton of stuff. I plan to run some wiring for the lights on the lift and clean a bunch up over the next few weeks.

The 928 will be wrapping up soon. Maybe. Thinking of getting rid of it for a 996 ironically.
sixnotfour
The 928 will be wrapping up soon. Maybe. Thinking of getting rid of it for a 996 ironically.

Great News 928's are Special ..when they are good they are good... And Then... Kinda like a boat...
mb911
Well that was an exciting drive. Looks like clutch cable made it about 900 miles ugh.. further investigation is neededClick to view attachment
Root_Werks
Oops! Hopefully something simple. Had the plastic wheel on the trans break apart on me once. Thought the cable snapped or something.
mb911
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 29 2022, 12:11 PM) *

Oops! Hopefully something simple. Had the plastic wheel on the trans break apart on me once. Thought the cable snapped or something.

Looks like it maybe the clevis. Oh well tomorrows project.
mb911
Well it was the clevis pin. Somehow it walked out. All fixed now. That was exciting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.