Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
GeorgeRud
I imagine it will be nice to take a break from bending over while doing all that welding and work with nice, new parts at workbench level!
mb911
agree.gif

I want to get the engine closed up so I can clear some shelf space.. In pieces it takes up allot of space.
mb911
Click to view attachment

More progress this morning..
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 26 2017, 07:04 AM) *

Click to view attachment

More progress this morning..

A lot of progress in a short time. You'll be driving.gif it before you know it. aktion035.gif
mb911
The engine will be running before the car is driving.. My current time frame is a roller by spring with the underside finished.. I keep hearing that"we should move into the city" so I need to prepare for that..
mb911
Waiting on piston circlips so put the fan on just to get it off the shelf.. Click to view attachment
mb911
So a pretty slow week on progress this was hoping to have heads on but the piston circlips didn't make it to me yet.. Pretty disappointing but it is what it is.. I did button up any pin holes in the flares and weld on the driver side carpet hold downs.. Car is really coming along.. Very little welding left to do..
mb911
I had to redo a couple of case through bolt o rings this morning as they squeezed out.. Then had time to fit the 1st piston and cylinder before work..Click to view attachment
mb911
And a few more tonight inbetween other tasks..Click to view attachment
ottox914
That looks great. Always wanted to build a 6.
mb911
Did deck heights on cylinders 1,2,3 today and put heads on that bank. Waiting on shims for 4,5,6..

So I thought I would post pictures of my last 6. This what drives me to finish this car..Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Cairo94507
MMMMM nice. smilie_pokal.gif
mb911
Was by far the nicest one I had seen in the Midwest ever..
GeorgeRud
Great looking car! Converting a ‘73 or ‘74 Car is probably the best way to get a great -6 and it looks like you did it right.
mb911
This was a 75 chassis that was a roller from new mexico..
mb911
I spent an hour this morning torquing the heads/install 4,5,6 .. Installed the cam plugs(thanks Mark) and now just a few other things to tidy up as I wait for the rockers to be done.. I need to get back to grinding/some welding so that I can get this in primer..Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Dang it, that's pretty, Ben.
Every time I see a 6 being built, I question my decision to go with the LS...
Ah well, there's always the next project!
Keep up the great work. aktion035.gif
mb911
Click to view attachment

Thanks Chris..

I also have notes written on the case as to order of pistons install and then actual cylinder locations and checks for install of circlips. This was done based off of when I have time and when I have to walk away to work on something else/family etc. I don't typically spend more than an hour at a time working on it and its hard to remember if you don't have notes..
GeorgeRud
I’d need to have a torque marker to remind me where I stopped. It’s looking great!
mb911
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 16 2017, 06:21 PM) *

I’d need to have a torque marker to remind me where I stopped. It’s looking great!

I take notes along with the stuff written on the case.. This weekend grinding will resume.. Probably an hour left on the engine and then bag up until spring..
whitetwinturbo
smash.gif stirthepot.gif wub.gif
mb911
Got a little bit more done. Cams are in but don't have rockers on.. No engine cooler on yet. I need to have the one I have professionally cleaned.. Now done on the engine for a while.. Grinding is now ready to start..Click to view attachment
mb911
So a little update but no pictures as of right now.

Restored the rear konis I recieved from michael.

Put the powdercoated springs on I got from greg

Shocks are complete with replated and repainted everything

Put the engine in the corner on a different engine stand until I am ready for it..

Welded in patch right by the roll bar above door handle pocket on driver side

Ground all the flare welds down and started hammering out with hammer and dolly. Heated a few areas that were not coming along.

Made reinforcement for rear suspension pick up ears

Now second guessing my rear trunk panel may have to buy a new one after the holidays are done..

Reassembly of replated and powdercoated seat rails..

Took apart the steering rack , cleaned, inspected and ceramic painted. Will reassemble this week with fresh grease

Cleaned the shop.. So making progress
Lucky9146
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 29 2017, 12:43 PM) *

Put the engine in the corner on a different engine stand until I am ready for it..

Ground all the flare welds down and started hammering out with hammer and dolly. Heated a few areas that were not coming along.

No second guessing my rear trunk panel may have to buy a new one after the holidays are done..

Took apart the steering rack , cleaned, inspected and ceramic painted. Will reassemble this week with fresh grease

So just been sitting around eh? av-943.gif Wow! Great to hear you have done a lot there! Been following your thread keep up the momentum! beerchug.gif
white914.jpg
mb911
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Nov 29 2017, 02:14 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 29 2017, 12:43 PM) *

No second guessing my rear trunk panel may have to buy a new one after the holidays are done..

So just been sitting around eh? av-943.gif Wow! Great to hear you have done a lot there! Been following your thread keep up the momentum! beerchug.gif
white914.jpg

Thanks.. Trying to get the car a roller by spring.. Fingers crossed.
mb911
Click to view attachment

A few little pictures.
mb911
Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
Just curious, did you rebuild the Konis when you restored them? I have a set dated 8/70 that I don't want to do anything to until I know the original style decal is still available. I haven't been able to find it anywhere, and I don't want to send these in for a rebuild if the label would be replaced with a newer one. These were made in Holland.

Click to view attachment
mb911
I was unable to find those stickers but the newer version sticker is available..
raynekat
Carbone will replicate those for you if you can give them a good example of image and size.
914Sixer
I think SMC has the stickers for the Koni's.
mb911
Good to know..
raynekat
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 1 2017, 05:46 AM) *

I think SMC has the stickers for the Koni's.

Yep, on Sierra Madre....

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/Koni-Decal-p16659.html

Click to view attachment
mb911
My oldest installed the 914 rubber seat adjuster handles onto the seats today. I machined the venturies yesterday and assembled the steering rack which I am not 100% happy with. Not as smooth as I think it should be .. Might come back apart..Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
restore2seater
What did you do to the steering rack? Did you use replacement parts from a kit?
mb911
Followed all the rebuild threads out there. There really isn't much that needs to be rebuilt. There are 2 bearings in there but I didn't replace them as they were smoth. Gonna take it apart again as I don't like it yet.
mb911
Order some new bearings for the steering rack as I was not happy.

Received my rockers back from c gar on the bird board. Henry at supertec did most of my work but I have known Craig for years and he does great work..

Cut out 2 rust spots on the front driver side fender and welded in patches. Plugging a few more pin holes on driver side. This side is almost done both inside and out.

Click to view attachment
mb911
A little welding, Click to view attachmentdrilling and grinding with one of my boys..

Front fender almost ready to install.
GeorgeRud
Start them young,Click to view attachment
mb911
The plan for the week is ship all the mufflers, oil tanks, and gt rocker flares and Also finish passenger front P.O. shotty repair redo. Some of it is ok but most of it is brazed and that sucks in my opinion.. I ground most of that down and hammered and dollied the dents.. Cleaned and zinc painted the bare metal.. Gotta weld a few areas and then ready for the fender.. This will help get the car closer to becoming a roller.
GeorgeRud
Double post - sorry.
mb911
Pmb Christmas delivery..Click to view attachment
mb911
So been picking away on things.. Started reworking a p.o. repair in the front passenger side front wheel well. Made some patch panels. Hammered a bunch out.. Now to deal with the brazed area from that previous repair...

Also a time out to make some tanks.Click to view attachment
mb911
I know this doesn't look pretty yet.. You can see where previous owner repaired bu brazing a new section in.. I tried to make the 2 patches to the left out of 1 piece and to many compound bends.. The patches are blended pretty nice but need a bit more work.. Then hammer and dolly the brazed area.. Thought about cutting that area out and rewelding that but not conviced I can get all the brass out.

Click to view attachment
mb911
After allot of back and forth I have decided to order my last RD part needed for this car.. The rear trunk floor.. You may remember that I put one in out of a donor car but found some pinholes.. I ordered the 200 dollars worth of parts this morning and after the 1st of the year will get that installed.. I will have the front wheel well sorted by then.. Still thinking on the brazed section..
GeorgeRud
What would have been the reason it was brazed instead of welded by the PO?
mb911
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 22 2017, 08:05 AM) *

What would have been the reason it was brazed instead of welded by the PO?

My guess is it was a repair in the early 80s and this was still a semi normal repair..
bbrock
I've got several brazed patches from a PO that I'll be repairing in the near future. Had to have been done in late 70s/early 80s. Your brazes look nice compared with mine. On mine, they just slapped sheet metal over rust holes, brazed them into place, then slathered bondo to hide the lapped edges. Needless to say, they rusted out again.
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 22 2017, 09:32 AM) *

I've got several brazed patches from a PO that I'll be repairing in the near future. Had to have been done in late 70s/early 80s. Your brazes look nice compared with mine. On mine, they just slapped sheet metal over rust holes, brazed them into place, then slathered bondo to hide the lapped edges. Needless to say, they rusted out again.

So my thought is to use a cut off wheel to cut the brass out and will create a 1/16" square groove and then weld it up.. What do you think?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.