Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
mb911
I was finally able to work on this last night.. I cut a square groove and then ground the brass off.. Welded it up and went well.. The inner wheel well is almost done.. I also welded on one of the 2 rear suspension ear reinforcements.. Went well as well. Plugged amd ground a few more areas.. Almost ready for epoxy..
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 4 2018, 04:43 AM) *

I was finally able to work on this last night.. I cut a square groove and then ground the brass off.. Welded it up and went well.. The inner wheel well is almost done.. I also welded on one of the 2 rear suspension ear reinforcements.. Went well as well. Plugged amd ground a few more areas.. Almost ready for epoxy..

Did you happen to snap any pics of this? I'm not sure I have it figured out in my mind, and might want to steal this approach. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 4 2018, 06:30 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 4 2018, 04:43 AM) *

Did you happen to snap any pics of this? I'm not sure I have it figured out in my mind, and might want to steal this approach. beerchug.gif

I will take a picture this weekend.
mb911
Sorry haven't had a chance been extremely busy with work vut spent the last 2 mornings @5 am doing some welding and grinding all passenger side.. Went and bought a quart of epoxy primer, a roll of 8o grit for the da, and some kevlar reinforced filler for the weld seams. The stuff comes highly recommended as its 100% waterproof so no rust issues.. Getting very close to removing door braces..

New trunk floor is here and moving that direction next week..
GeorgeRud
Glad that it’s moving along. Hopefully you have good heat after the weather last week.
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 10 2018, 07:00 PM) *

and some kevlar reinforced filler for the weld seams. The stuff comes highly recommended as its 100% waterproof so no rust issues..

Is this the stuff? I'll be watching this closely. Sounds like a good idea.
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 10 2018, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 10 2018, 07:00 PM) *

and some kevlar reinforced filler for the weld seams. The stuff comes highly recommended as its 100% waterproof so no rust issues..

Is this the stuff? I'll be watching this closely. Sounds like a good idea.

Click to view attachment

This stuff
mb911
Completed one suspension ear reinforcements this morning.. Then off to work..Click to view attachment
mb911
This is the p.o. repair area.. I cut the brazing out and welded now have to hammer it flat.. Click to view attachment

This is front wheel well passenger side..
mb911
So I feel like I am skipping all over but I try to get the big chunks done.. The passenger side wheel well is almost all hammered out but my shoulder and forearm are pretty sore(getting old))? So I moved to the rear trunk so I could complete 1 area.. I think I am not going use the whole RD piece as it makes for an odd weld joint.. So if you look close you will see where I cut a line.. I chose that as a good area to butt joint because its the edge and will warp less. I going to bring the RD piece to work and use the vertical band saw to cut a nice straight line then put the piece in the trunk anf scribe a line for final cutting..

I plan to get the trunk done this week and then back to the wheel well.. But will feel better once the trunk is done.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment

Also note this is the second trunk panel I put in.. The 1st one was from a donor car but was not acceptable to me finished
mb911
Just a little project that has been a year in the making.. I programmed everything today and thought you all would think its interesting.. This was done on a 130 ton brake press.Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 22 2017, 08:05 AM) *

What would have been the reason it was brazed instead of welded by the PO?

Up until MIG welders got affordable it was the fastest and easiest way to go.

There's a few places on the car where the factory used brazed seams. A weld joint will stress crack where a brass will not. Years ago shops would braze a horseshoe shim on a dented panel to pull it out, they brazed it because done right, it won't fail.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 16 2018, 03:47 PM) *

Just a little project that has been a year in the making.. I programmed everything today and thought you all would think its interesting.. This was done on a 130 ton brake press.Click to view attachment

I like this.
bbrock
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jan 16 2018, 02:12 PM) *

A weld joint will stress crack where a brass will not.

Hmm, this runs a little counter to the logic I used to reinforce the clutch cable tube on my project yesterday. One of the braze joints at the front cracked and I added a series of tack welds to convince everything to stay in its right place. Wondering if I need to rethink that... confused24.gif
IronHillRestorations
The problem with the clutch cable is age and stress cracks. I make a plate to go over the area, but I do weld it.
mb911
And now for some reason all my pictures are posting sideways..

Perry.. I still nees to call you.. Been busy..
GeorgeRud
Looks great! Will you use the louver punch to make a lower panel under the oil cooler?
mb911
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 16 2018, 06:16 PM) *

Looks great! Will you use the louver punch to make a lower panel under the oil cooler?

That part was actually done about a year ago.. Not sure yet what I will use the die for.
mb911
Trunk is done.. Well less the 1 overlay.. That will be next week.Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
6543 louvers
mb911
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 21 2018, 12:36 PM) *

6543 louvers

In my fab class this week I am going to teach my class how to fab the front belly /oil cooler floor just because. Its a semi complicated part for the novice and they will think its cool that its for a porsche and they get to take it home to hang on their wall..
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 18 2015, 06:11 AM) *

Just a quick introduction. I am picking up a 74 1.8 this weekend to do a 6 conversion on. I built one about 15 years ago but then sold it and had a 964 and a 911 turbo in its absence. I have since sold everything and have not had a porsche in about 3 years.

Technology has changed since my absence and was looking for a quick list of must do's when doing a conversion..

Thanks

Hi Ive a running 914/6 with a 3.0 im trying to find engine tin. Pls let me know if you know where to find engine tin. Im told the 3.0 and 3.2 engine tin wont work at all for a 914/6
Regards Phil
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 21 2018, 02:20 PM) *

6543 louvers

In my fab class this week I am going to teach my class how to fab the front belly /oil cooler floor just because. Its a semi complicated part for the novice and they will think its cool that its for a porsche and they get to take it home to hang on their wall..

Hello: pls let me know where i can find engine tin for my 3.0 conversion,Im told the 3.0 and 3.2 tin wont work at al for a914/6
Regards Phil
mb911
QUOTE(Phil Plummer @ Jan 21 2018, 07:56 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 21 2018, 02:20 PM) *

6543 louvers

Hello: pls let me know where i can find engine tin for my 3.0 conversion,Im told the 3.0 and 3.2 tin wont work at al for a914/6
Regards Phil

Restoration design sells the complete kit for about 900 or so and its a wonderful set that exeeds original parts in quality..mine won't be ready for a bit and mine are for the budget builders as the sheet metal is much more homemade by comparison to the RD piece..
mb911
Well busy times, working allot in my day job as we have a company coming into the area looking for 13k employees and have allot of people looking for training..

Then business is very busy and growing. A website is under development thanks to a member here that has been an absolute blessing.. The GT hardlines have consumed allot of time and money..

That said I gave in and bought 2 new sail panels from restoration design as while I was in there make it 100% right.. It put me behind by a couple weeks of my target but will be worth it..

I cut the passenger side off yesterday inbetween cerakoting some engine parts after repair for a customer.

Front wheel well has been a constat issue where it was brazed etc.. Almost done welding pits and grinding in that area.. Hopefully prime that area this week and mount the door on so can weld the fender on.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Oh and brace is in the trunk so that are is done.. Yeah.Click to view attachment
mb911
And this mornings progress.. Was going to make it out of one piece but lent my brake out to someone and this will blend well enough once welding is completely done.. Click to view attachment
bbrock
I've got a smaller patch in that general area coming up fairly quickly. Did you treat the inside of that cavity while it was open? Haven't decided what to do with mine. Always looking for examples.
Dion
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 28 2018, 11:34 AM) *

Well busy times, working allot in my day job as we have a company coming into the area looking for 13k employees and have allot of people looking for training..

Then business is very busy and growing. A website is under development thanks to a member here that has been an absolute blessing.. The GT hardlines have consumed allot of time and money..

That said I gave in and bought 2 new sail panels from restoration design as while I was in there make it 100% right.. It put me behind by a couple weeks of my target but will be worth it..

I cut the passenger side off yesterday inbetween cerakoting some engine parts after repair for a customer.

Front wheel well has been a constat issue where it was brazed etc.. Almost done welding pits and grinding in that area.. Hopefully prime that area this week and mount the door on so can weld the fender on.. Click to view attachment

I really like the finish on those parts Ben. Looks great man.
Is Cerakote finish similar to powder coating?
I’ve only read a few things regarding its use. Mostly gun finishes.
Regards
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 30 2018, 07:15 AM) *

I've got a smaller patch in that general area coming up fairly quickly. Did you treat the inside of that cavity while it was open? Haven't decided what to do with mine. Always looking for examples.

Yup just cold galvanized spray after wire brushing it. Then use som galvaneel cut offs from the RD parts..
mb911
QUOTE(Dion @ Jan 30 2018, 07:35 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 28 2018, 11:34 AM) *

I really like the finish on those parts Ben. Looks great man.
Is Cerakote finish similar to powder coating?
I’ve only read a few things regarding its use. Mostly gun finishes.
Regards

Cerakote is a ceramic paint.. I used it on my engine build as well. Its sprayed in automotive spray guns.Click to view attachment
Dion
A big step above the rattle cans then.
Thanks Ben.
mb911
QUOTE(Dion @ Jan 30 2018, 08:35 AM) *

Thanks Ben.

Thats for sure.. it is rock hard and handles extreme heat.. does not discolor either
jd74914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 30 2018, 01:21 PM) *

Thanks Ben.

Thats for sure.. it is rock hard and handles extreme heat.. does not discolor either

Those parts look great! I've also been very happy with the Cerakote in the past. Pretty easy to apply and lasts forever.

Not to hijack but...For those who just need aluminum or flat black/white colors and want/need it in an aerosol can, Superior Industries Thermal Kote is also very good. It's expensive ($90/2 pack), so nothing like cheap autopart store sprays.

The temperature rating is a bit lower (1325F vs. 1600F), but it holds up really well. I regularly use it in burners that see >1450 F (bright cherry glowing color) and haven't had any flaking problems either.

https://www.superior-industries.com/thermal...roduct_208.html
mb911
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jan 30 2018, 10:32 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 30 2018, 01:21 PM) *

Thanks Ben.

Those parts look great! I've also been very happy with the Cerakote in the past. Pretty easy to apply and lasts forever.

Not to hijack but...For those who just need aluminum or flat black/white colors and want/need it in an aerosol can, Superior Industries Thermal Kote is also very good. It's expensive ($90/2 pack), so nothing like cheap autopart store sprays.

The temperature rating is a bit lower (1325F vs. 1600F), but it holds up really well. I regularly use it in burners that see >1450 F (bright cherry glowing color) and haven't had any flaking problems either.

https://www.superior-industries.com/thermal...roduct_208.html

Interesting stuff. never tried that
mb911
Finished welding the area this morning and then ground it down 90% and cleaned and sprayed zinc brite over it.. It is a perfect repair for a hidden area with all the correct contours but doesn't require the finish that an external panel requires.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Woke up at 4:15 today went out and welded the sail panel on . Went well but have a bit to finish yet.. This will conclude my week of progress as busy the rest of the week but feel that I made progress. Click to view attachment
jmitro
looking great. sometimes it seems progress is so slow, but then you look back at all the baby steps and realize you're making big gains beerchug.gif
mepstein
You slept in till 4:15 - slacker

av-943.gif

mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 1 2018, 05:29 AM) *

You slept in till 4:15 - slacker

av-943.gif

Too much on my mind I guess.
Bates

Looking good Ben.

I like the bottom brace, nice work.

mb911
Thanks.. Making headway..
worn
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jan 16 2018, 01:12 PM) *

There's a few places on the car where the factory used brazed seams. A weld joint will stress crack where a brass will not. Years ago shops would braze a horseshoe shim on a dented panel to pull it out, they brazed it because done right, it won't fail.

A good braze is also better than a bad weld. You wouldn’t believe how easy mig made things.
mb911
QUOTE(worn @ Feb 1 2018, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jan 16 2018, 01:12 PM) *

A good braze is also better than a bad weld. You wouldn’t believe how easy mig made things.

True for sure.

So curious should the upper part of the door jamb be brazed? It was from the factory from what I see.
mb911
Didn't do any work this weekend. Up North at our cabin ice fishingClick to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
bbrock
Nice! But how can you call that ice fishing without a 3-bedroom "hut" on the ice with TV and satellite dish? What kind of person just braves the elements like that? lol-2.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 5 2018, 02:29 PM) *

Nice! But how can you call that ice fishing without a 3-bedroom "hut" on the ice with TV and satellite dish? What kind of person just braves the elements like that? lol-2.gif

We sit in the cabin and look outside for the flags to pop up..

We got skunked but found this on our hike.I think it is left overs from grandpa's farm years ago. He farmed and was the local school superintendent.. Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Lots of cabins out on Lake Geneva and I don’t think any have fallen through the ice so far this year. It’s a great way to get through a Wisconsin winter (assuming you have some refreshing adult beverages to help you spend your time). Spring will eventually arrive, but it’s all about snow and cold this week!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.