Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 27 2018, 07:03 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 26 2018, 07:10 PM) *

I have access to a small 5 gallon sized blaster.. Might try that.. I have a decent sized compressor that should work for the areas I need done..

I have the HF 40 lb. blaster and it works well. I'm using crushed glass for media. My only problem is finding a hood that doesn't cost a fortune and doesn't fog up. I just bought one on Amazon that got good reviews but I haven't tested.

I wonder what kind of a mess it will make..
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 27 2018, 03:56 PM) *

I have access to a small 5 gallon sized blaster.. Might try that.. I have a decent sized compressor that should work for the areas I need done..

I have the HF 40 lb. blaster and it works well. I'm using crushed glass for media. My only problem is finding a hood that doesn't cost a fortune and doesn't fog up. I just bought one on Amazon that got good reviews but I haven't tested.

Do it outside or you will have a mess.
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 27 2018, 01:56 PM) *

BIG mess. Before the snow flew, I was doing it inside an HF tent garage with a tarp laid down on the bottom. I was able to recover and filter most of the media for reuse. My last round of blasting with a tarp down on the driveway but no tent garage. I still was able to recover a lot of media. Cleaning media out of the chassis is work too.
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 27 2018, 10:17 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 27 2018, 01:56 PM) *

BIG mess. Before the snow flew, I was doing it inside an HF tent garage with a tarp laid down on the bottom. I was able to recover and filter most of the media for reuse. My last round of blasting with a tarp down on the driveway but no tent garage. I still was able to recover a lot of media. Cleaning media out of the chassis is work too.

Another reason to do it outside is you can turn on a fan. Even with a good respirator, it doesn't hurt to keep the dust from the sand moving away from you. We use the 100lb bags of sand. I think they are about $8 a bag.
mb911
Thanks for the insight.
GeorgeRud
I wonder if that Dustless Blasting outfit that I see advertised on Velocity might be a nice way to go? Has anyone had any experience with their setup? Obviously, the operator can be good or bad depending on their experience.
mepstein
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 28 2018, 11:13 PM) *

I wonder if that Dustless Blasting outfit that I see advertised on Velocity might be a nice way to go? Has anyone had any experience with their setup? Obviously, the operator can be good or bad depending on their experience.

It's not at all like the commercial. Its a waste of time and money on our cars. Our shop bought one before I worked there. It's currently sitting in a box in the closet. If it worked as advertised, we would use it.
mb911
Well after a week of very little work on the car I was able to hammer out the weld area in the recently welded in driver side sail panel. Ground a bit more. Second guessed my plan to not TIG weld all the panels on (remember a TIG welder by trade) then reaffirmed my decision as when panels are fused using TIG there is a recess in thickness and once blended the parent material will be paper thin..

Anyhow. Cut out the antenna area and took a scrap piece of galvaneel and welded that in.. All pin holes need to be fixed yet but the surgery is done there now..Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
And now just finish off a bit more with a little hammer and dolly action..And of course fill pin holes and blend a bit more..Click to view attachment
cary
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 28 2018, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 28 2018, 11:13 PM) *

It's not at all like the commercial. Its a waste of time and money on our cars. Our shop bought one before I worked there. It's currently sitting in a box in the closet. If it worked as advertised, we would use it.

I have a 40# HF tank with an upgraded hose. You'll need to upgrade to the HF deadman valve too. Watch the nozzle pretty close. If the tip wears down it will wear down the plate on the dead man. mad.gif
Biggest issue is CFM. As soon as I got the new 27 CFM compressor all my issues went away.

Some day when I grow up I'll buy one of these.
http://www.texasblaster.com/index.php?disp...p;product_id=24
cary
Oh yeah.
I blast with #3 glass (20/46)
http://abrasive-equipment.kleenindustrials...edia/glassblast
10% discount on 10 bags or more.
mb911
Cary thanks for the input.. I am still undecided on what and how I will handle the metal prep for primer..

On another note finished the bracket today for the muffler group buy guys.. Now to have laser cut.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Nothing to take pictures of today but spent an hour this morning rough grinding some areas in the cabin knocking down welds from the inner long reinforcement, the tunnel flange rebuild , spot welds and then front trunk area, also welded pin holes in yesterday's patch and hammered that all flat and blended..

Made progress towards the goal of priming by spring..
mb911
Ground again this morning.. My goal is to finish the cabin area so it can be primed next week so I feel like I am accomplishing something..
mb911
Another way to get side tracked.. Sons 1st porsche..Click to view attachment
bbrock
There was a 944 that sat in a field 3 miles down the road from here that we would pass every day going to work for several years. I had to fight myself hard not to inquire about it and see if it was for sale. But I already had one Porsche rusting away in the yard and a million things more important to spend hard earned cash on. But it's always been a car I thought would be fun to have.
mb911
I have known a bunch of locals that have run their 944s year round for 100s of thousands of miles. I am very hopeful this will be one of those cases. Its crazy they only made 3500 in 88 and its only worth 600? Might be the next 914 and go through the roof price wise.
mb911
Well ground more this morning. I have given myself 6 weeks to finish grinding and prime.. That way spring humidity won't be an issue. Worked on my fuchs today. Click to view attachment
mb911
Well my plans to clear powdercoat the wheels just didn't meet my expectations so sand blasted again and now off the my buddies wheel manufacturing company for powder paint in flat black then I will wet paint the silver..

Plan to finish grinding cockpit and door jambs this week so I can prime all of that..

Worked on my sons 944 and have spark , compression and no fire yet..
mb911
This week has consistent of grinding, filling pin holes in the cabin and door jams, I hung the cable system for my spray booth so it will be much like a shower curtain.

I ordered the monstaliner from magnet paints with a good shutz gun and hope to prime the cabin this weekend and maybe shutz the foot wells where there was weld repair to make the area sealed solid.. If I get the rear trunk prepped that may get primed as well..

Wheels still at powdercoater for the satin black, ordered the cerakote for the silver lips and pedals to give the rsr look..
mb911
Click to view attachment

Turned out pretty nice.. Almost ready for the rsr treatment.
GeorgeRud
Those wheels like nice with just the powder coating. Might wait on further polishing to see how they look installed?
tygaboy
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 23 2018, 08:52 PM) *

Those wheels like nice with just the powder coating. Might wait on further polishing to see how they look installed?

agree.gif Was thinking the same thing. That said, you'd have to be OK with the sinister look. Not a "GT tribute" look, but...
mb911
I feel like at the very least the lips need to be silver?
Krieger
I have never liked the look of all black rims. To me it looks like somebody just took the easy way out.
bbrock
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 24 2018, 07:38 AM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 23 2018, 08:52 PM) *

agree.gif Was thinking the same thing. That said, you'd have to be OK with the sinister look. Not a "GT tribute" look, but...

agree.gif make it 3. I think those rims look pretty awesome.
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 24 2018, 09:48 AM) *

I feel like at the very least the lips need to be silver?

agree.gif
mb911
Spent sometime underneath the car tonight wirebrushing all the gunk and old paint off getting ready for primer. I have 75% of the bottom ready got sore and tired so gave up for the night . looks good though getting there. Probably another couple of hours of paint prep for the bottom and engine compartment.Click to view attachment
mb911
The fine work takes the longest..so that will be fun.Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Hey, I know that floor! poke.gif

Gotta say, it looks a whole lot better than when it left here. Most importantly, it has a car around it again!

Seriously Ben, it's all looking great!
bbrock
Wow! That looks great!
mb911
So while son #1 was working on the 944 I sanded the trunk today so good progress.
mb911
Wow must be getting old or out of shape. My arms and shoulders hurt from running the grinder and DA. I put a small skim coats of the evercoat kevlar reinforced filler on the weld seams on the floor today. Will sand down tonight and then continue DAing the rest of the week. Primer this week/end I hope.. Getting closer everyday.Click to view attachment
Dion
Floor looks fantastic Ben.
Wheels look evil, but I’d have to add a silver lip to them ( hell my Fuchs are polished, go figure). Ben my compressor won’t keep an air da going. Any suggestions on a good brand for
an electric version?
mb911
QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 26 2018, 12:26 PM) *

Floor looks fantastic Ben.
Wheels look evil, but I’d have to add a silver lip to them ( hell my Fuchs are polished, go figure). Ben my compressor won’t keep an air da going. Any suggestions on a good brand for
an electric version?

I have an Ingersoll rand DA. And a cheapo sanborn 60 gallon compressor I paid 450 from Menards about 10 years ago. Its getting tired and been through 1 motor already probably will make it thru my paint job and my sons 944 but its on borrowed time..
mb911
Sanded this morning for a while. The floor pan seams look pretty good. My monstaliner came yesterday with the daily ups drop off so excited about that. Gonna get some more epoxy primer today.
mb911
Click to view attachment

Made this today on our plasma table. Thanks to chris for the baseline dxf file. We did a few tweeks but its pretty cool.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 27 2018, 04:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Made this today on our plasma table. Thanks to chris for the baseline dxf file. We did a few tweeks but its pretty cool.

Mounted on the front trunk or useful for sword play.
bbrock
Very cool! Did you play music like this when you made it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu2T85LNlrQ
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 27 2018, 01:37 PM) *

Very cool! Did you play music like this when you made it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu2T85LNlrQ

Lol no.. Now I have to clean and tack weld all the pieces in place. Then paint it not sure with what yet.
tygaboy
Ben - don't mean to hijack but what are the dimensions of yours? I did a couple of 4 footers and a "little" 2 footer.

I'd be interested in what you tweaked on the file, too. I see you eliminated the "shadow" lines under the spars. Did you make other changes?

I know I found some opportunities to improve some of the shapes but haven't been back to working on the art stuff for a while.
mb911
Some of the lead ins and lead outs got changed, scaled it down to 16 inches .. Its very cool.. Its a great way to high light our welding program at school as we just integrated some new fab equipment this gets the students really excited..
Luke M
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 27 2018, 02:58 PM) *

Ben - don't mean to hijack but what are the dimensions of yours? I did a couple of 4 footers and a "little" 2 footer.

I'd be interested in what you tweaked on the file, too. I see you eliminated the "shadow" lines under the spars. Did you make other changes?

I know I found some opportunities to improve some of the shapes but haven't been back to working on the art stuff for a while.

That's some cool wall art..
mb911
Sanded 3/4 of the pan and trunk is almost done. Just have to rotate the car the other way to sand and grind the other side.. I know I keep saying primer soon and it is but prep takes along time.Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Spent a few minutes today drilling and fitting the plugs in the floor pan while my son was dropping the trans in the 944 for a fuel tank removal under my guidence. He says I am more of Ant and he Mike from wheeler dealer .. I laughed.Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Spent 2 hours last night grinding and blending and removing old paint from wheel wells , and above where the rack is located. Installed 3 more of the plugs into the floor pans. I am missing 1 and need to find that one some where in my stash.

My son and I pulled the trans and gas tank on the 944 Saturday. Those cars are much easier to work on then I expected..

Sorry no primer yet but its coming. Removing all the "overburden" is always more time consuming then you expect.
bbrock
popcorn[1].gif The suspense is killing me.

What did you wind up doing to strip paint and clean? I know you said wire brush to start. It is looking really nice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.