Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 2 2018, 08:56 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif The suspense is killing me.

What did you wind up doing to strip paint and clean? I know you said wire brush to start. It is looking really nice!

Wire brush on the 4.5" grinder and then also the. Norton rapid strip wheel on the 4.5 inch grinder. Then DA with 80 grit.
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 2 2018, 11:01 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 2 2018, 08:56 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif The suspense is killing me.

What did you wind up doing to strip paint and clean? I know you said wire brush to start. It is looking really nice!

Wire brush on the 4.5" grinder and then also the. Norton rapid strip wheel on the 4.5 inch grinder. Then DA with 80 grit.

thumb3d.gif Thought that might be the case. Those Norton discs are awesome. I bought a box (actually Black Hawk brand but I can't tell the difference) and love them. If it stops snowing long enough to put my tent up, I'll be wheeling the car out for some serious blasting and stripping.
mb911
Yes they work well use the wire brush for the corners.
mb911
Well cleaned/sanded/ ground more on the entire driver side of the floor this week and its ready for primer. Next week return to the passenger side and finish that side of the floor up.Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Ben - That is looking very nice. Love seeing them nice and clean on the bottom. beerchug.gif
Tdskip
That is a cubic boatload of work...

defianty
Nice and clean - good work Ben.
mb911
Cut this todayClick to view attachment
mb911
Finished the rack rebuild. Its better then previous .. I might look for a spare Click to view attachment
mb911
And for my own inspiration here is my last 6 and the 911 before a full turbo conversion Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=645
672]
mb911
Slow progress lately. I did do more grinding and then removed 1 headlight. I did buy a fender from Garold that is near perfect and a factory replacement that Glenn and Garold cut off a parts car for me
To replace the Hodge podge passenger fender.. This will make it much nicer.

Bought some metal etch to apply in a few areas..

Coming along now.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Dug out the decklid as I start to head into the bodywork stages.
Also hammered out all the welds on the flares and then applied a very thin coat of the kevlar reinforced water impermeable filler about 1/16" thick on all the seems inside and out of the flares. Click to view attachment
mb911
Super busy lately but spent some time hammering out the body as close as possible to be within max thickness of 1/16" filler. Then spread the kevlar reinforced filler to ensure no pin holes then sanded all the seams and applied some evercoat filler, cured and then I use a large bastard file to cut down the filler close. I will next sand a little bit and apply another thin coat of filler.. This is a nice way to ensure a nice straight blend..

Mark Epstein sent me some goodies including a nice porsche badge for the rear panel ala GT.

Also got my sons 944 running this weekend and making progress on all fronts..

mb911
A few pictures. Went wide on the band of filler to make sure it fills evenly. Click to view attachment
mb911
Push through the majority of the underside so I could get the primer on yesterday.. Turned out pretty good. Now it will be to get the top side done and back to bed liner underneath..Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
bbrock
Milestone! Sweet! cheer.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 1 2018, 12:36 PM) *

Milestone! Sweet! cheer.gif

Yes feel good about that.. Gonna need some areas touched up but at least its protected..
mb911
Sanded and prepped the exterior .. Will prime tonight. Yes there is a skim coat of filler.. Its not 1/2" thick so don't worry. The plan is to prime and let all the body work sit for a year or so.. This will allow any shrinking to happen over that period(winters are particularly hard on that) .. Once this is all primed the work doesnt stop still have the frunk to work with. Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Nice seeing it looking ready for primer. beerchug.gif
mb911
About 3 years in the making to get to this point..
bbrock
Are you going to spray with it on the rotisserie? I'm starting to try to envision the logistics involved when my car gets to this stage. I still have a month or so to watch yours and see how it's done. beer.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 3 2018, 09:17 AM) *

Are you going to spray with it on the rotisserie? I'm starting to try to envision the logistics involved when my car gets to this stage. I still have a month or so to watch yours and see how it's done. beer.gif

Yup gonna do the rotisserie for priming.. I still need to prep engine compartment and frunk.. Trying to prime manageable chunks..

I want it rolling this summer.. Underside is gonna get the bed liner before too long.
PanelBilly
Tape off all the places that you will mount parts to before you do the bed liner. This is especially important where there’s nuts welded in for the suspension. You can cut and peal the liner off when its dry, but it’s easier to do it when its been taped off first. Are you doing the engine bay too?
mb911
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 3 2018, 11:54 AM) *

Tape off all the places that you will mount parts to before you do the bed liner. This is especially important where there’s nuts welded in for the suspension. You can cut and peal the liner off when its dry, but it’s easier to do it when its been taped off first. Are you doing the engine bay too?

Thats good advice.. I will do that for sure..

Engine bay I am undecided.. It would be nice to keep it uniform.. But at the same time gloss paint makes it nice too
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 3 2018, 04:22 PM) *

Engine bay I am undecided.. It would be nice to keep it uniform.. But at the same time gloss paint makes it nice too

Gloss is much easier to clean than a textured finish. I’ve read of guys using a single coat of clear to make the bed liner easier to clean.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 3 2018, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ May 3 2018, 04:22 PM) *

Gloss is much easier to clean than a textured finish. I’ve read of guys using a single coat of clear to make the bed liner easier to clean.

Another good idea.. Proper prep would be a must..
raynekat
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 3 2018, 07:58 AM) *

Sometimes these projects can really leak out into the future for sure.
mb911
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 3 2018, 04:02 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ May 3 2018, 07:58 AM) *

Sometimes these projects can really leak out into the future for sure.

Its about the journey.. Primed some more last night.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
Dion
Pretty. Just like a factory “body in white” ready to be customized.
Very nice indeed.
Cairo94507
Nice indeed. That just has to make you feel good. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 4 2018, 04:46 AM) *

Nice indeed. That just has to make you feel good. beerchug.gif

It does.. Though I know where more body work needs to be done it makes me feel better that the metal is protected from the humidity
restore2seater
What kind of primer are you using?
mb911
QUOTE(restore2seater @ May 4 2018, 05:34 AM) *

What kind of primer are you using?

Ppg epoxy..
bbrock
Are you going to spray high build/surfacer before you leave it to shrink? I think PPG says you can cover it without sanding within 10, after which you have to sand. I was thinking on mine I could spray epoxy, then follow with surfacer, then relax, let it shrink, and take my time blocking. But I don't know if that really makes sense.
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 4 2018, 05:57 AM) *

Are you going to spray high build/surfacer before you leave it to shrink? I think PPG says you can cover it without sanding within 10, after which you have to sand. I was thinking on mine I could spray epoxy, then follow with surfacer, then relax, let it shrink, and take my time blocking. But I don't know if that really makes sense.

Brent,

Probably hold off for now. There is still extensive body work to do with the flares, welding in pin holes, etc.

I will do the bedliner in certain areas and underneath so I can mount the suspension.. Then next winter do more body work..
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 4 2018, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 4 2018, 05:57 AM) *

Brent,

Probably hold off for now. There is still extensive body work to do with the flares, welding in pin holes, etc.

I will do the bedliner in certain areas and underneath so I can mount the suspension.. Then next winter do more body work..

thumb3d.gif That makes sense.
tygaboy
Ben - Congrats! Primer and bed liner...mmmmm. wub.gif
(I can only dream about that part of my build.)
Thanks for the motivation.
Chris
mb911
Thanks guys.. I appreciate all the cheering and help over the journey.. Still would guess 2-3 more years to completion.. At the least.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 4 2018, 11:49 AM) *

Thanks guys.. I appreciate all the cheering and help over the journey.. Still would guess 2-3 more years to completion.. At the least.

Let’s not forget some parts you’ve brought to production.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 4 2018, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ May 4 2018, 11:49 AM) *

Let’s not forget some parts you’ve brought to production.

That's very true along the way allot parts side tracked me..
David Billo
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 4 2018, 07:07 AM) *

...Its about the journey.. Primed some more last night...

Yeah, that's great to be at that point in the project! cheer.gif

Ben, I'm interested to know the details of your paint setup, compressor, gun, etc. I'm contemplating doing my own paint eventually as well (probably year or two away) and trying to get a handle on what I'm going to need. It would be nice to avoid buying an insanely huge compressor just to paint one car. From what I've read, 80 gal, 5HP is recommended for non-stop spraying a typical car, but it seems easy with our cars to break it up into smaller sections and get away with a smaller compressor.
mepstein
You can also rent a compressor if you're thinking its a one shot deal.

gms
Getting it in primer always makes a project look closer to finished!
congrats Ben, see you soon
mb911
QUOTE(David Billo @ May 4 2018, 12:46 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ May 4 2018, 07:07 AM) *

...Its about the journey.. Primed some more last night...

Yeah, that's great to be at that point in the project! cheer.gif

Ben, I'm interested to know the details of your paint setup, compressor, gun, etc. I'm contemplating doing my own paint eventually as well (probably year or two away) and trying to get a handle on what I'm going to need. It would be nice to avoid buying an insanely huge compressor just to paint one car. From what I've read, 80 gal, 5HP is recommended for non-stop spraying a typical car, but it seems easy with our cars to break it up into smaller sections and get away with a smaller compressor.

I have a 10 year old 60 gal 5hp sanborn compressor, a Sata hvlp gun along with an old binks hvlp gun. Painted 6 or 7 cars with this setup.

Works well.

GeorgeRud
Ben, I don’t think you get to sleep between this project, your son’s car, your great parts, and work. I’m sure it’s great seeing the chassis finally in primer!
mb911
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 4 2018, 06:58 PM) *

Ben, I don’t think you get to sleep between this project, your son’s car, your great parts, and work. I’m sure it’s great seeing the chassis finally in primer!

Yes sort of a balancing act..

As part of my full time job we have 4- 1 week dictated vacations per year and this week was one of them and you can see I made progress. Things won't happen as fast but expect bed liner within the week but have allot of other things to get done..

I really need to finish the engine and get it running on a stand.. Want to do a little muffler testing as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.