Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
mb911
Took the driver side door off today and sandblasted it. Omg why people Bondo over stuff like that is beyond me. Looks like a bit more welding to do.. Had to return my short floor pan for the whole half.. It will be nice when it's done but wow.. It's amazing how much these cars hide.. Good thing welding is my thing.
wndsnd
Good Thing!
bcheney
QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 18 2015, 07:54 PM) *

In the midst of doing one (-6 conversion) on my 1971. I'll be doing it half factory/half aftermarket. Factory oil tank/filler neck/lines. Aftermarket engine mount and sheet metal. Will have a 2.4 E/S MFI engine installed along with upgraded 901 tranny complete with 904 mainshaft and all the Guard tranny upgrades possible.

If I were doing another 6 conversion I would opt for the aluminium oil tank that Patrick Motorsports makes vs. trying to find a Porsche tank. I put a NOS Porsche tank in my car because I picked it up very cheap with many other parts from a guy who was liquidating and needed cash. I believe you will pay less and be happier with aluminum in the long run...
mb911
QUOTE(bcheney @ Jan 4 2016, 03:37 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 18 2015, 07:54 PM) *

In the midst of doing one (-6 conversion) on my 1971. I'll be doing it half factory/half aftermarket. Factory oil tank/filler neck/lines. Aftermarket engine mount and sheet metal. Will have a 2.4 E/S MFI engine installed along with upgraded 901 tranny complete with 904 mainshaft and all the Guard tranny upgrades possible.

If I were doing another 6 conversion I would opt for the aluminium oil tank that Patrick Motorsports makes vs. trying to find a Porsche tank. I put a NOS Porsche tank in my car because I picked it up very cheap with many other parts from a guy who was liquidating and needed cash. I believe you will pay less and be happier with aluminum in the long run...

I agree buy one from me lol. Check my oil fitting thread. Making a run of 10 right now
Larmo63
Put me in line for an oil tankā€¦.

Thank you.
wndsnd
Did you decide on putting a drain plug on your tank offering?

mb911
As I was waiting for the parts to cut today I found some time to Cleco on the flares and do a little welding..
mb911
Well made some progress.. I have welded in some of the Gt chassis stifeners and cleaned some rust and painted with rust shield.. Its pretty waterey like por15 so got a run but that's fine I will have to sand before it gets color anyway.. I also built a stock looking six mount and a firewall reinforcement plate.. Will get some more work done on it shortly going to be off work for about a month coming upClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mb911
Gotta fab or find the cap that fits over the door jamb nut plate.. Any idea s?
mepstein
We were installing my oil tank and lines last night. Bob Russo took a break from working on the 962 to help us run the oil lines. He said your tank was impressive. smilie_pokal.gif
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 13 2016, 08:22 AM) *

We were installing my oil tank and lines last night. Bob Russo took a break from working on the 962 to help us run the oil lines. He said your tank was impressive. smilie_pokal.gif

That's a great compliment.. It helps to fund the fun projects like what I am working on and am blessed to be able to provide the tanks in a cost effective manor so that the dream of a porsche powered 914-6 can be realized.. Not that there is anything with other power plants .
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
mb911
Here are some other pictures of few projects as I was showing some students how to fabricate.. Probably the single best tool to teach on is a rusty car.. It gets students so excited to work with their hands and make something and be proud of it..

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Been up to some more work.

I have the rear suspension done and powdercoated, Gt lid is done. I did that a bit different then others have done but I like the way it will finish off, front struts are done, I purchased front calipers from PMB (911 sc) , chassis reinforcement is almost all welded in.. I only work on it about 45 minutes a day to keep it exciting and fun.. Made 3 engine mounts copied from an original. Going to powder coat them to keep them from rusting. Then weld areas will be ground.. Making good progress.
Your reproduction of the factory bulkhead mount is the best I've seen. A Big Congrats to you. first.gif
raynekat
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 19 2016, 03:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I have the rear suspension done and powdercoated, Gt lid is done. I did that a bit different then others have done but I like the way it will finish off, front struts are done, I purchased front calipers from PMB (911 sc) , chassis reinforcement is almost all welded in.. I only work on it about 45 minutes a day to keep it exciting and fun.. Made 3 engine mounts copied from an original. Going to powder coat them to keep them from rusting. Then weld areas will be ground.. Making good progress.

Are these mounts for sale?
mb911
QUOTE(396 @ Jul 19 2016, 02:53 PM) *

Your reproduction of the factory bulkhead mount is the best I've seen. A Big Congrats to you. first.gif

Thanks I made 1 extra in case I need a pattern to make some for someone else.. I added some plug hole locations as well..

I need to send the original back with a reproduction for a special thanks to the lender.

Probably tackle the engine compartment next week. Too hot for rest of the week to weld and grind.
mb911
Here is the engine side before I finished and powdercoated it.Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jul 19 2016, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 19 2016, 03:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Are these mounts for sale?

I could make you one if you wanted one.. Let me know.
whitetwinturbo
Whoa........mad man cool welder.gif welder.gif welder.gif
mb911
Thanks I appreciate the words of encouragement.

I installed my strut inserts in the 87 carrera strut housings today so that is done. The 6 engine mounts are all powdercoated and will pick up Monday and share pictures..

Picked up my other door I sand blasted and then I painted with epoxy primer and left at work to cure. Making good headway.

whitetwinturbo
smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif bye1.gif
mb911
Click to view attachment

Finished the 3.. Powdercoated to prevent rusting and obviously where it will get welded will be ground 1st.
mb911
He'll hole done, just sprayed it with cold galvinizing to protect the bare metal. I have to check for pin holes and then decide if I am going to fab the engine shelf. I have been fabbing everything to this point but that piece looks pretty labor intense but not that I am being paid by the hour lolClick to view attachment
sixnotfour
Got my OG plus a nice spare returned Thanks beerchug.gif first.gif
mb911
Great news and thank you for lending it to me.. Stupid me I had you original layed out on my firewall for height etc and I wirebrushed the marks off headbang.gif .

I should be able to figure out the height.. I am have been thinking though of making about 10 mounts to sell but I don't want to step on mad dogs toes
sixnotfour
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 30 2016, 10:20 AM) *

Great news and thank you for lending it to me.. Stupid me I had you original layed out on my firewall for height etc and I wirebrushed the marks off headbang.gif .

I should be able to figure out the height.. I am have been thinking though of making about 10 mounts to sell but I don't want to step on mad dogs toes

toes..others make mounts , others make tanks ,others do rust repair, others build engines , others make gas lines, others make the -6 rubber mount, others make replacement sheet metal, others rebuild calipers , others build wheels .....

reality is you will be an option for others who are shopping.. weld on welder.gif
rhodyguy
The red one is VERY funny.
mb911
The best part is I have a fixture to convert the 911 engine side mount into a 914-6 mount so could probably do the engine side conversion and the firewall side for about 275 powdercoated and it would look darn near factory.
sixnotfour
Stupid me I had you original layed out on my firewall for height etc and I wirebrushed the marks off headbang.gif .

The factory piece sits on the bottom pinch weld...comparing the one you made and sent me to the OG one your need to be 1.5mm above the pinch weld..
sixnotfour

lets just say I still have some other loaned parts to collect..
not Ben..thanks again for the spare..

rhodyguy
I catch your meaning. And your drift.
mb911
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 30 2016, 10:52 AM) *

lets just say I still have some other loaned parts to collect..
not Ben..thanks again for the spare..

That's to bad.. I always worry about not getting loaned parts back in a timely manner and timely is different to everyone.. I have some factory 6 heat exchangers that I will be working that are lent to me by Danny gets out this way and will be stopping by from time to time so that keeps things in check for everyone.

Funny that the sidebar topic is getting items back on a timely basis. I bought an high end lawnmower from brother. He borrow it one day....that was 20+ years ago.
porschetub
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 31 2016, 06:48 AM) *

Stupid me I had you original layed out on my firewall for height etc and I wirebrushed the marks off headbang.gif .

The factory piece sits on the bottom pinch weld...comparing the one you made and sent me to the OG one your need to be 1.5mm above the pinch weld..

Appears to be spot-welded directly to the body ...wonder in how many places,mines a copy just like the on shown but is plug welded and the round cutout has been welded also.
Great pic thanks.
raynekat
Ben:

Wonder if you can fab up the upper and lower sandwich metal plates on either side of the factory 914-6 rubber mount.

I know you've made the part that bolts to the engine and the other one that welds to the car, but I'm looking for the 2 smaller pieces that above and below the rubber mount.

Aesthetics are not important to me...meaning it doesn't have to look factory, just function as needed.

Not sure where I can get an example for you to copy or a "go by." Perhaps someone on this site has a set???
sixnotfour
Appears to be spot-welded directly to the body ...wonder in how many places,mines a copy just like the on shown but is plug welded and the round cutout has been welded also.

approx. 40 spot welds

sixnotfour
beer.gif
sixnotfour
here is a version of the nut plate made the hard way for socalandy,,and the factory one below
mb911
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jul 30 2016, 06:20 PM) *

Ben:

Wonder if you can fab up the upper and lower sandwich metal plates on either side of the factory 914-6 rubber mount.

I know you've made the part that bolts to the engine and the other one that welds to the car, but I'm looking for the 2 smaller pieces that above and below the rubber mount.

Aesthetics are not important to me...meaning it doesn't have to look factory, just function as needed.

Not sure where I can get an example for you to copy or a "go by." Perhaps someone on this site has a set???

I sure could make them again would need samples.. Looks like it could be machined out of steel plate.
raynekat
Some saint or hero needs to loan Ben his upper and lower sandwich plates so the rest of us mere mortals can use the factory-like set up. I'll pay the shipping....just give me your PayPal. smile.gif
mb911
A few update pictures. I have a pile of sand blasted and aviation epoxy primed parts for the car now done. Also a student and I are working making the flares rockers out of steel. That part is hard for me as it only takes me a few minutes but the students much longer to make parts but they really learn allot about fabrication when they start building these types of things Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment

Closer to finished product
mb911
Been a while since I posted on this thread.. I make small progress as I work on oil tanks and heat exchangers..Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mbseto
Early in the thread you mentioned wheeling out some flares, then later said you located some. Did you end up making any?
mb911
I made one rear and then found a great deal on a set so I bought a set..much easier
mlindner
mb911, love your headers......any chance of making 1 1/2 for 2.2L engine sizes. Best, Mark
mb911
QUOTE(mlindner @ Nov 3 2016, 07:19 AM) *

mb911, love your headers......any chance of making 1 1/2 for 2.2L engine sizes. Best, Mark

Possibly but not on radar right now.
mb911
Click to view attachment

Did this today.
mb911
And some parts back from the plater.. I like doing flywheels and brake rotors..Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.