Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
mb911
Sprayed bed liner today super easy .. Went after all the seams and repair areas 1st then a second coat on everything and then ran out.. Gotta order more.. Ugh..

Turned out way better in person... Very happy with it.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
bbrock
Wow! That has to feel good. piratenanner.gif

I'm assuming that is bedliner you are spraying as seam sealer. How are you liking that?
whitetwinturbo
pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 6 2018, 07:59 PM) *

Wow! That has to feel good. piratenanner.gif

I'm assuming that is bedliner you are spraying as seam sealer. How are you liking that?

Yes.. I did put down the seam sealer from sem 1st let it cure in the regular spots then went and sprayed this over..

This stuff is stinky so it really is a summer doors open type of product..
Cairo94507
Giant step forward. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
Ben - Very excited for you! Congrats on a major milestone. As has been said before, getting any sort of even color/coat on our projects makes SUCH a difference to how it looks. aktion035.gif wub.gif
Every time I see someone take this step and then look at my build, I'm at once envious and motivated.
Great to watch your progress and thanks for the poke to get going on mine.
mb911
Thanks guys.. Still gotta wait on the quart I ordered to finish it..

This stuff still smells bad.. Wow..worse then paint IMHO.
Dion
Man, that looks really nice. wub.gif
Great progress, especially considering everything else you do!
mb911
Spent the morning driving down to meet Glenn to look at his collection and to pick a previously NOS replacement right front fender that he and Garold cut off a car for me.. Thanks so much guys..

The best part it I dont think I need to bare metal this fender.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Notice the red primer.. Its not rust..
GeorgeRud
Starting to look like a car! You have to be getting excited to see it coming together!
mb911
Front fender tacked on .. Door was installed for fitting.. Getting closer to ready for suspension install.. Click to view attachment
mb911
I TIG welded the flare on this morning.. My opinion vs MIG is that the weld bead is just smaller so easier to shape etc. If you look back several pages you will see my son MIG welding and that was the point.

Then we worked on engine sheet metal samples..Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mb911
Front fender is completely ground, and now a thin coat of filler.. Seam sealed. Making head way..

Onto finishing engine. Gotta fire that yet this summer for testing.
mb911
Started prepping engine compartment for paint. A few small weld repairs to do and remove the fan stand off. Takes a ton of time in this area to prep.. Click to view attachment
mepstein
Are you using the relay board?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 21 2018, 03:50 PM) *

Are you using the relay board?

agree.gif

I don't have the relay board so I cut those brackets off.
Also for a /6 you need to cut the heat booster fan bracket off.

Relay board is a PITA for the oil filter and the bottom tank fitting. I made my engine harness with the correct connector, so it plugs into the main harness no board.
Booster fan won't fit with a /6.
mb911
I am undecided on relay board.. The fuel pump relay is my only concern.. Any thoughts on that? Mark what did you do for a fuel pump relay set up?

Re the booster fan yes the bracket is coming off.. I called it the fan stand off in my post.
mepstein
I used the PMS 3.2 conversion harness to attach the engine harness to the chassis harness. I'm pretty sure the DME controls the fuel pump. Internally regulated alternator on the 3.2. Whatever that all means.
Tdskip
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 1 2018, 03:04 PM) *

Ben, shouldn’t the lower lip of that reinforcement metal be welded up?
mb911
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 21 2018, 01:17 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ May 1 2018, 03:04 PM) *

Ben, shouldn’t the lower lip of that reinforcement metal be welded up?

Where are you talking? Can you attach a picture?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 21 2018, 04:05 PM) *

I am undecided on relay board.. The fuel pump relay is my only concern.. Any thoughts on that? Mark what did you do for a fuel pump relay set up?

Re the booster fan yes the bracket is coming off.. I called it the fan stand off in my post.

Ben I forget what engine are you using? carbs, FI?
mb911
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 21 2018, 02:30 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ May 21 2018, 04:05 PM) *

Ben I forget what engine are you using? carbs, FI?

2.4 s spec with carbs..
Mark Henry
Right now I'm running off of the ignition, but I just bought a early 80's VW Rabbit CIS fuel pump relay. It runs off of the tach signal, if no tach signal it will turn the pump off. Starting isn't an issue as the carbs have enough fuel in the bowls to start. Only issue would be first dry bowls start, would be easy enough to install a NO push button switch.

Relay part number 321 906 059C the one I got has a 15a fuse built right into the top of the relay.

IPB Image

You could do a similar thing with a generic DTDP relay and run it off the oil pressure (idiot light) switch, but it won't be as fast reacting as the Rabbit switch.

There's also an inertia switch from a Ford (IIRC), but guys say it trips every time you hit a bad bump, simple to reset.

On how I made my relay board delete engine harness go to post #150 of my engine build thread. You can get the connector from member Perry Kiehl, he also makes full conversion harnesses.
Since I'm cheap I made a male connector by hacking a female connector from an old engine harness.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...9913&st=140
mb911
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 21 2018, 05:32 PM) *

Right now I'm running off of the ignition, but I just bought a early 80's VW Rabbit CIS fuel pump relay. It runs off of the tach signal, if no tach signal it will turn the pump off. Starting isn't an issue as the carbs have enough fuel in the bowls to start. Only issue would be first dry bowls start, would be easy enough to install a NO push button switch.

Relay part number 321 906 059C the one I got has a 15a fuse built right into the top of the relay.

IPB Image

You could do a similar thing with a generic DTDP relay and run it off the oil pressure (idiot light) switch, but it won't be as fast reacting as the Rabbit switch.

There's also an inertia switch from a Ford (IIRC), but guys say it trips every time you hit a bad bump, simple to reset.

On how I made my relay board delete engine harness go to post #150 of my engine build thread. You can get the connector from member Perry Kiel, he also makes full conversion harnesses.
Since I'm cheap I made a male connector by hacking a female connector from an old engine harness.

I did the same thing as you on my last conversion. Relay for sure on this one.. It just seems safer.

I will probably delete the board as suggested and either make my own harness or buy one from perry..

Gotta figure the regulator wiring out as well then..
Tdskip
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 21 2018, 04:47 PM) *

It looks like sealer is on that area now, rear suspension on the driver side the bottom of the chassis reinforcement plate.
mb911
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 22 2018, 07:35 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ May 21 2018, 04:47 PM) *

It looks like sealer is on that area now, rear suspension on the driver side the bottom of the chassis reinforcement plate.

Oh got you. I welded that up prior to sealer.. Just didn't take a picture of that.
mb911
Update

Fuel pump arrived, carb parts and distributor coming from supertec, worked on aligning sprockets on the engine, then went to time cams and discovered that the cam sprockets were a little worn so ordered new ones,

No real work on chassis as want to wrap up the engine so I can run it for some testing of products.

Click to view attachment
mb911
Test run stand in the making.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Cams are timed, put new sprockets on though felt the ones I had were good. It just seemed the thing to do. Then had my buddy powdercoat my sons phone dials and then I wet painted to rsr look on one of my 15x8 fuchs. This was done with water masking..Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
I don't normally like the all black wheels, but that matte finish with the bare aluminum center cap sure looks good!
mb911
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 14 2018, 01:29 PM) *

I don't normally like the all black wheels, but that matte finish with the bare aluminum center cap sure looks good!

I thought about doing that as well..

The good news its all paint so doesn't matter cost much to change things.
mb911
Here is 1 front strut assembled and the other 3 wheels with the water mask method. Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
Beach914
Ben, what paints did you use to achieve that look?
914forme
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 22 2018, 11:16 AM) *

IPB Image

On how I made my relay board delete engine harness go to post #150 of my engine build thread. You can get the connector from member Perry Kiel, he also makes full conversion harnesses.

I did the same thing as you on my last conversion. Relay for sure on this one.. It just seems safer.

I will probably delete the board as suggested and either make my own harness or buy one from perry..

Don't forget some of the CIS relays also have a built in rev limit function. Learned that the hard way going down the back straight of Mid-Ohio. Still below the red-line first time out. and I would drop power WTF.gif traced it back to the relays I was using. In my setup one powered the coil one powered the fuel pump.

I grabbed the relays from a my hoard of VW CIS parts from my previous Scirocco collection. Yes Ben I am back to using the term Hoard. When in Rome.
mb911
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Jun 16 2018, 06:44 AM) *

Ben, what paints did you use to achieve that look?

Matte black powdercoated then Cerakote silver mag ceramic paint.. Turned out pretty nice..
mb911
QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 16 2018, 07:19 AM) *

IPB Image

Don't forget some of the CIS relays also have a built in rev limit function. Learned that the hard way going down the back straight of Mid-Ohio. Still below the red-line first time out. and I would drop power WTF.gif traced it back to the relays I was using. In my setup one powered the coil one powered the fuel pump.

I grabbed the relays from a my hoard of VW CIS parts from my previous Scirocco collection. Yes Ben I am back to using the term Hoard. When in Rome.

Lol I get that..

Also gotta get you dad's info. He said it is clear glass..
mb911
Put all the rockers in today and set valve clearence.. Was about 90 here today but shop was cool..

Exciting. Just waiting on distributor and carb parts now..
mb911
Trans all cleaned. My extra trans will get a complete cosmetic and internal restoration later on.Click to view attachment
914forme
That is one light transmission it is actually floating to the ceiling. rolleyes.gif

Or you guys have some odd gravity in your parts.

Looks good Ben, I would leave it alone, but if doing any sort of painting you need to prep the Mag case for it, follow what the aircraft guys do, and you will be fine.
mb911
So far degreased, wire brushed, powerwashed, cleaned with scotch brite and brake cleaner.

Still undecided..
mb911
Firehawk AS tires mounted. Rated to 118mph which is fine for me until I decide a permanent tire wheel combo.Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Thanks for the updates Ben.

Exciting.
mb911
Thanks. I am going to finish all the bed liner underneath the car tomorrow night then suspension can go in..
Tdskip
You are getting really-really-really close.

What a journey.

Well done.
porschetub
QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 17 2018, 03:19 AM) *

IPB Image

Would the starter cranking speed be enough to trigger that relay ?,my 87 GTI has what I think is the very similar relay and has the rev-limit built in with a plain rotor,comes in around 6400,some CIS Golfs have a different setup and use a rev-limiting rotor.
The setup in my Golf has a priming function to charge the fuel accumulator and the fuel distributor, the first time you turn the key ,after that the main and tank pump run up when cranking the engine,thinking this would fill my fuel bowls but I don't know what would cause the relay to prime in a carb application.
Been looking for sometime @ a safety solution and think this setup might be the go,if only I knew more about car electrics dry.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.