Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
bbrock
You are going to need shades to work around that car! Nice! Which gun did you use?
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 15 2018, 04:13 PM) *

You are going to need shades to work around that car! Nice! Which gun did you use?

The devilbiss starting line kit that you were looking at.. Typically I just use the Sata that I have but wanted a couple more guns so I could use 1 for primer 1 for color and 1 for clear.. I will probably rebuild my sata to be the color or clear gun before I do the exterior.
defianty
Looking great Ben!
mb911
Also wanted to talk about the availabilty of the 70s porsche paints. @bbrock had mentioned difficulty finding ppg shopline locally. This goes 1 step further. These older colors have not been converted to non leaded versions. My supplier had to call ppg directly to see if they have a "panel" that is sprayed out to do a spectrum analisyis on to come up with a modern color code.. Took some hassle but ended up with a 65 dollar qt of color versus not available or 150 dollar qt.
mb911
Got my noico noise insulation yesterday and starting to lay that out. Ordered the perlon back pad delete.. Plan to install interior soon then wrap it all in plastic. This is just to consolidate my parts.. Not 100% sure what seats I am going to use yet. The goal is to get it on suspension shortly..

Also worked on GT bumpers.. Out for chrome shortly.Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
.............that Saturn paint just POPS aktion035.gif
mb911
Sons car front half painted with new free twist wheels..Click to view attachment
Dion
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 15 2018, 02:27 PM) *

Oops and the picture. Click to view attachment

Colour is very rich looking. Nice progress Ben. Where did you purchase your
Noico sound reduction from? Thinking of giving it a try.
mb911
@Dion the noico was on ebay 50 sf for 60 dollars. I am nearing completion of installing it and there is more then enough to do the whole interior plus inside the doors..
mb911
Click to view attachment
gereed75
Congrats Ben. So much work to get here but all worth it I am sure. Really nice!!

Add in all the six conversion parts that you have designed and fabbed and the sons car - you are a serious machine!!
Dion
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 22 2018, 03:28 AM) *

@Dion the noico was on ebay 50 sf for 60 dollars. I am nearing completion of installing it and there is more then enough to do the whole interior plus inside the doors..

Thanks Ben. Appreciate the link. I’ll give this a go.
Cheers
mb911
@gereed75 thanks.. Its amazing how much has happened during the timeline of this project. Also that I am already eyeing the next car. I would like to buy a nice as rust free project to squirell away ..

@Dion your welcome.
bbrock
QUOTE(Dion @ Sep 22 2018, 06:26 AM) *

Cheers

FYI, what Ben showed looks to be the 50 mil stuff. I'm going to buy the 80 mil Noico on Amazon. 36 sq ft for about the same price: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URUIKA...L83GP&psc=1
bbrock
Hey Ben, do you have any pics of your car with the masking still on? I'm trying to wrap my head around tape lines and paper placement for this kind of interior/exterior spray. It occurred to me that I may be thinking too much of my ancient experience spraying a car with an old fashioned high pressure suction feed gun where overspray winds up on the neighbors dog if he isn't covered up.

Never mind. Found good pics on @aggiezig 's thread. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 22 2018, 05:58 AM) *

Cheers

FYI, what Ben showed looks to be the 50 mil stuff. I'm going to buy the 80 mil Noico on Amazon. 36 sq ft for about the same price: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URUIKA...L83GP&psc=1

I was just concerned about all the contours etc so went thinner thinking I could double up in areas.
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 22 2018, 10:54 AM) *

Cheers

I was just concerned about all the contours etc so went thinner thinking I could double up in areas.

Good idea. I did a really rough measure and estimated about 28 sqft to cover all the floor space the factory tar covered. That's probably an over estimate but regardless, 2-layers of that stuff over most of the area should make for a quiet tub. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 22 2018, 09:45 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 22 2018, 10:54 AM) *

Cheers

Good idea. I did a really rough measure and estimated about 28 sqft to cover all the floor space the factory tar covered. That's probably an over estimate but regardless, 2-layers of that stuff over most of the area should make for a quiet tub. beerchug.gif

I am actually doing everything inside the cabin.. Thats why the 50 sf works well..
mb911
Just a little assembly . Again trying to make this a roller and not spens so much time on jackstands and not movable. A little PMB and 914rubber love here. Along with freshly painted and powdercoated parts. Special thanks to Mark epstein for the struts and hubs. Gonna install front a arms etc shortly. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Almost finished noise insulation. I will go over seams with a foam rubber block to ensure tight fit then foil tape any joints. This will ensure a good seal and more finished look.Click to view attachment
mepstein
Looks like you got it covered. lol-2.gif
mb911
Just about..
bbrock
Sweet! Looks creepy quiet in there. I ordered mine earlier today along with a paint gun and 6 liters of Raptor. Been snowing all day and forecast has more of the same for the next week. Still hoping for enough Indian Summer to at least get the undercoat done. Probably jinxed myself by ordering paint supplies.
bbrock
Deleted - double post. Internet has been flaky today.
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 30 2018, 04:08 PM) *

Sweet! Looks creepy quiet in there. I ordered mine earlier today along with a paint gun and 6 liters of Raptor. Been snowing all day and forecast has more of the same for the next week. Still hoping for enough Indian Summer to at least get the undercoat done. Probably jinxed myself by ordering paint supplies.

I am hurring as well to finish sanding and grinding the cavity under the gas tank to get the front frunk area primed and possibly in color before gotta keep the doors closed for the winter..
TravisNeff
Nice job on the application, shame to hide that pretty color!
mb911
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Sep 30 2018, 05:50 PM) *

Nice job on the application, shame to hide that pretty color!

Thanks.. I like the color.. I second guess myself but keep reassuring myself its the right color..

bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 16 2018, 05:50 AM) *

Also wanted to talk about the availabilty of the 70s porsche paints. @bbrock had mentioned difficulty finding ppg shopline locally. This goes 1 step further. These older colors have not been converted to non leaded versions. My supplier had to call ppg directly to see if they have a "panel" that is sprayed out to do a spectrum analisyis on to come up with a modern color code.. Took some hassle but ended up with a 65 dollar qt of color versus not available or 150 dollar qt.

Just hit a similar snag. Went to buy a quart of DCC silver metallic. First, the computer popped up different formulas depending on whether you searched the codes for Porsche vs. VW. Neither formula is available in DCC. Both formulas can be mixed in single-stage Omni MTK. The Porsche color can be mixed in 2-stage Deltron DBC but the only 2-stage option for VW is Omni. I had the guy mix a sample of each and am going to spray out a test panel, but already I can see from the smudge dots he put on the cans that the Porsche formula has a richer metallic look. The guy said the Porsche formula uses higher quality toners and 2 metallic components vs. just one component in the VW color. Will make a decision pending spray out results but leaning toward Porsche at this point even though the VW formula is probably technically more correct.
TravisNeff
I believe you want a 2 stage paint, that was from the factory on metallic cars. They used to do single stage metallics in the 60's and earlier. As for VW vs Porsche paint, I don't know much about that. i would assume the -4 cars got vw color and the -6 received the porsche color (but that is all a guess)
bbrock
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Oct 1 2018, 05:20 PM) *

I believe you want a 2 stage paint, that was from the factory on metallic cars. They used to do single stage metallics in the 60's and earlier. As for VW vs Porsche paint, I don't know much about that. i would assume the -4 cars got vw color and the -6 received the porsche color (but that is all a guess)

I'm going to pull this over to my build thread because I want to follow up but don't want to hijack Ben's thread.
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 1 2018, 03:31 PM) *

QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Oct 1 2018, 05:20 PM) *

I'm going to pull this over to my build thread because I want to follow up but don't want to hijack Ben's thread.

No worries its all good. I have heard that before.. I do know the porsche and VW colors of the 70s had lots of lead in them and that is why little has been converted to new paints..
FourBlades

Wow, great build, just finished reading through the whole thing! first.gif

This will be a top quality car when you finish it.

John
mb911
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Oct 3 2018, 04:24 AM) *

John

Thanks John. It will be a very nice driver car.. I am already thinking about what the next one will be .. I will start with a tub that is in nicer condtion next time.

I actually want to start offering conversions to clientswho want to semd me thier cars and I install all my goodies.. Well thats the plan.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 3 2018, 09:21 PM) *

John

Thanks John. It will be a very nice driver car.. I am already thinking about what the next one will be .. I will start with a tub that is in nicer condtion next time.

I actually want to start offering conversions to clientswho want to semd me thier cars and I install all my goodies.. Well thats the plan.

I would be first in line but you probably want paying clients huh?
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 3 2018, 05:33 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 3 2018, 09:21 PM) *

John

I would be first in line but you probably want paying clients huh?

Lol yup to a certain extent.. My wife would wonder why the cars are coming from and why..
mb911
Just an updated picture.. Replaced rear bushings very very soon it will be rolling. Click to view attachment
mb911
Made a milestone today so I feel like I am making progress.. Yeah. Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
bbrock
That looks awesome. How is it you get so much done? I'm bustin' my hump here while you are leaving me in the dust and fabricating parts for other people's cars right and left to boot. pray.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 14 2018, 06:32 PM) *

That looks awesome. How is it you get so much done? I'm bustin' my hump here while you are leaving me in the dust and fabricating parts for other people's cars right and left to boot. pray.gif

@bbrock it's mostly just bolting parts on right now.. That goes fast.. I need to get back at frunk paint prep.. I still am cleaning up PO repair area .. I have made the decision that because the car was hit and repaired back in the late 70s early 80s I am just going to clean it up and not reinvent the wheel.. That will save time but ultimately this car will not be to the level of your car when completed.. I like to think of this car as a track car that just is more street setup.
mb911
Got some goodies in the mail this week.

914rubber m/c and 15x6 Fuchs for a spare from Mark Epstein.
Ordered o-rings for the oil filter console,filters,turbo tie rod kit even brake pads in preparation for getting brakes bled. Completed my own oil tank after 3 years of making them for others..

Still waiting on my steering rack from tru-6..

Plan is to now move to wiring /plumbing engine for a test fire..

Finished these scavange lines after a year of back and forth and talking with fluid power folks..Click to view attachment
mb911
This is the refurb of some orginal heat exchangers. Just going to run them for testing then sell them.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Well not much happened today but did gap spark plugs and installed. My youngest son went for a "ride" in the car after school today. He says he is ready to start helping again now that he can help reinstalling parts.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Where does that oil filter console go?

--DD
mb911
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 23 2018, 11:30 AM) *

Where does that oil filter console go?

--DD

I will have 2 filters one will replace the oil cooler and one still on the tank.
GeorgeRud
Will you get enough cooling from the front cooler alone? BTW, that part looks amazing so I hope it does work well.
mb911
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 23 2018, 01:44 PM) *

Will you get enough cooling from the front cooler alone? BTW, that part looks amazing so I hope it does work well.

I have a huge front cooler even larger then the GT Cooler. I am going to put in fans to help cooling when at idle..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.