Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
mepstein
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 23 2018, 05:44 PM) *

Will you get enough cooling from the front cooler alone? BTW, that part looks amazing so I hope it does work well.

I'm doing the same thing on my 3.2 conversion. Cooling should be more than adequate. Air is outside temp, not engine compartment temp. Oil cooler is directly facing oncoming air, not relying on engine produced airflow. Cooler can be larger than engine cooler and a fan can be added to supplement airflow at low car speeds. You also get about 15% more air directed at the heads for additional cooling since the engine cooler duct is blocked off.

Porsche dropped the engine cooler and went solely to front cooling on their 3.6 engine before going watercooled. Why spend money on a front oil cooler just to use it as an axillary system when it can easily be the sole oil cooling system for the car. It also increases reliability by not using a 30-50 year old engine cooler.

I love the way Ben's mod makes it fit the stock oil lines. - smart!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 23 2018, 12:36 PM) *

I will have 2 filters one will replace the oil cooler and one still on the tank.

Holy 993 inspiration, Batman! smile.gif

--DD
mb911
Here is the "control panel" for the engine test stand.. The gauges are out of a carrera so psi is not listedClick to view attachment
worn
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 24 2018, 03:12 PM) *

Here is the "control panel" for the engine test stand.. The gauges are out of a carrera so psi is not listedClick to view attachment

That is some magic welding man.
What can be more straightforward than Barr? Multiply by 15 eh. For carpentry feet and inches makes more sense than meters to me. Beyond that though a degree Celsius or even Centigrade is ok.

Doesn’t the foil make it look real and making progress?
mb911
QUOTE(worn @ Oct 24 2018, 02:21 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 24 2018, 03:12 PM) *

That is some magic welding man.
What can be more straightforward than Barr? Multiply by 15 eh. For carpentry feet and inches makes more sense than meters to me. Beyond that though a degree Celsius or even Centigrade is ok.

Doesn’t the foil make it look real and making progress?

Yes it does thanks.. I feel much better about it.. It is gearing me up to take on conversion projects in the future for customer's.
jmitro
looks good. front suspension photo looks really nice
mb911
QUOTE(jmitro @ Oct 24 2018, 03:24 PM) *

looks good. front suspension photo looks really nice

Thanks. It's the fun part... Here is the panel installed.. Should be fine for running. Click to view attachment
mb911
Throttle linkage setback mad.gif. Need the correct one..the search continues. Click to view attachment
mb911
Well this was a positive start to the day got the collapsible spare tire mounted cost $10Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
WOW, great price!!!
Cairo94507
Cool. beerchug.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 24 2018, 11:09 AM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 23 2018, 01:44 PM) *

Will you get enough cooling from the front cooler alone? BTW, that part looks amazing so I hope it does work well.

I have a huge front cooler even larger then the GT Cooler. I am going to put in fans to help cooling when at idle..

Interesting setup ,what mods do you do to the fan shroud ? remove the cooler trunking as its no longer required ?
mb911
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 26 2018, 11:30 AM) *

I have a huge front cooler even larger then the GT Cooler. I am going to put in fans to help cooling when at idle..

Interesting setup ,what mods do you do to the fan shroud ? remove the cooler trunking as its no longer required ?

I am just going to make a block off plate for where the cooler was.. I don't want to mod the fan shroud..
mb911
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 26 2018, 08:52 AM) *

WOW, great price!!!

Yup spent too much money at the tire shop lately.. They are giving good deals.. Now to clean the wheel up..
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 26 2018, 06:07 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 26 2018, 11:30 AM) *

I am just going to make a block off plate for where the cooler was.. I don't want to mod the fan shroud..

It takes 2 block off plates. One at the end of the fiberglass shroud and one where the oil cooler sits - basically an addition to the engine tin.
mb911
Mine is a rivited one for an original 911T or -6..
mb911
Everything is packed in for winter.. Pretty full .. Still room to work on multiple projects though. Click to view attachment
mb911
Made some progress yesterday . keep ordering small item's like the Harrell nuts, wire, connectors, ashlock tach adapter, etc.. Tank is an old design with incorrect locations so I modified for my own use and cleaned and powdercoated.. Drilled a hole in the gussett for the oil line and installed the heat exchangers loosely. Will be running soon.. Still waiting on my steering rack.. Starting to get irritated on that but it is what it is.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Turned engine over tonight with no ignition on to build oil pressure.. Exciting.. Now finish more wiring. Click to view attachment
Dion
[quote name='mb911' post='2662559' date='Nov 2 2018, 05:52 PM']
Turned engine over tonight with no ignition on to build oil pressure.. Exciting.. Now finish more wiring.

Awesome stuff going on!
bbrock
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
mb911
Not allot to report.. Had the engine running very shortly, changed some sensors to jive with the gauges, built a small fuel tank.. Gotta make a tool to tighten the the pressure sensor and then give it another go.. Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
Your little contraption there is pretty damn cool! Once you get this going we want a video, no exceptions. smile.gif
mb911
Thanks Travis.. I think my wife refers to it as junk and not a contraption biggrin.gif .

Today I got this beautifully restored ZF steering rack from Shaun @tru-6.. This was to replace the rack that I had previous that just would not run smoothly no matter how much I worked through it..

Shaun and I have known eachother for years and we did a little bartering on this.. It's as new.. This will get installed over Christmas break. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
Its always nice to oogle and freshly refinished parts with all the plating and such!
mb911
Got the engine running tonight though not well.. Great oil pressure so that's good.. Seems like I have the firing order off.. I am thinking recheck valve's, or plug wires on the wrong plug. Getting there.. Watching packers game so done for the night.. Made my fuel pump/spare tire mount.. Click to view attachment
bbrock
Cool! I'm with Travis. I want video! beer3.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 16 2018, 02:39 PM) *

Got the engine running tonight though not well.. Great oil pressure so that's good.. Seems like I have the firing order off.. I am thinking recheck valve's, or plug wires on the wrong plug. Getting there.. Watching packers game so done for the night.. Made my fuel pump/spare tire mount.. Click to view attachment

Hope you put in a fuel pressure regulator,even pumps sold as X amount of pressure deliver more than needed,mostly this is a real issue.
Valve clearances are rather odd IMO set mine motor out of car then checked after full rotation and they were out,reset and all great.
Plug leads are easy enough not telling you anything ,go well with your build.
mb911
https://m.facebook.com/groups/4020297998314...249687078399000

This is the video..
mb911
QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 15 2018, 09:52 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 16 2018, 02:39 PM) *

Hope you put in a fuel pressure regulator,even pumps sold as X amount of pressure deliver more than needed,mostly this is a real issue.
Valve clearances are rather odd IMO set mine motor out of car then checked after full rotation and they were out,reset and all great.
Plug leads are easy enough not telling you anything ,go well with your build.

Ordered the PMO regulator will be here today.. Fuel pressure defiantly could be the issue.. The engine just is unbalanced if you will with the way it runs but that likely is tuning..

I am just use to fuel injection.. I need to spend more time on the carbs .
TravisNeff
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 15 2018, 06:39 PM) *

Dual function tire mount and fuel pump cover all in one? Clever!

And piratenanner.gif on the engine vid!
Larmo63
Ben, please make certain that the plug wires are on in the right firing order.

Your project is looking great!!! cheer.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 16 2018, 03:54 PM) *

I was looking at waynes book for firing order and wire orientation.. I need to verify elsewhere as I seem to remember that being incorrect..

On a side note.. Check out my bumper I had Oscar chrome it thanks Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Dion
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 16 2018, 04:16 PM) *

I was looking at waynes book for firing order and wire orientation.. I need to verify elsewhere as I seem to remember that being incorrect..

On a side note.. Check out my bumper I had Oscar chrome it thanks Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Bumpers look fantastic.
Regarding Wayne’s book...Really?! headbang.gif I was using that as
my reference. Ok time to check and verify elsewhere.
Moving along nicely Ben.
mb911
QUOTE(Dion @ Nov 16 2018, 04:24 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 16 2018, 04:16 PM) *

Bumpers look fantastic.
Regarding Wayne’s book...Really?! headbang.gif I was using that as
my reference. Ok time to check and verify elsewhere.
Moving along nicely Ben.

Mine are exactly as waynes book says but I seem to remember it's wrong..
mepstein
biggrin.gif
mb911
Click to view attachment
Dion
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 16 2018, 05:23 PM) *

Perfect ! I remember these pics, lost my bookmarks for them. beerchug.gif
Thanks
mb911
Float levels have all been set for a base line(not running) I would run the fuel pump and noticed that there is gas weeping from gasket mating areas and believe that is a fuel pressure problem. Pmo fuel pressure regulator should be here today..
mb911
https://www.facebook.com/100025285101338/po...98319411020893/

Runs much better.. Funny thing is the Exhaust guy(me) forgot a couple fasteners on the Exhaust studs..
TravisNeff
The fb link no worky, your initial one loads up just fine
mb911
Strange..
mb911
Try this one..

https://m.facebook.com/groups/4020297998314...255372777830430
bbrock
Sweet!!!! piratenanner.gif
TravisNeff
Awesome!! I am glad you all with projects are moving ahead even though its getting cold. Keeping me motivated!
914forme
That sounds really nice I can't wait for this to be on the street
mb911
Thanks everyone.. Now probably shelve the engine for a while and get back to front trunk..
mb911
Finished the corners of the trunk channel. I was going to buy the AA reproduction parts but they were $95 each side and I fabbed up the area in about 10 minutes and didn't need as much material as aim may.. Sprayed it with @bbrock s secret rust conversion from home depot. The front trunk is now my focus for the next phase. This allows me to paint and then put steering rack in so can finally get it rolling. Click to view attachment
mb911
Picture might be a bit too close to see detail but your just seeing the conversion turning to a black liquid like crust. Also not not cleaned up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.