Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
mb911
Freshly powdercoated axles and spare tire mount. Click to view attachment
mb911
Finally epoxy primed frunk and windshield frame. Gonna let it cure and then prime with buildable/ sandable primer on the cowl and windshield frame.. Also gotta pick up a quart of bedliner this week to take care of some seams ala Kent and Bbrocks method. Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Looks good Ben!
TravisNeff
Fabulous.
bbrock
Yowza! That looks purty! drooley.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 8 2018, 01:54 PM) *

@bbrock quick question as you recently did this.. I read you can top coat epoxy within 5 days without scuffing. That said was thinking I might be able to spray surfacer on yet this evening. Never sprayed that quickly unless going sealer/base/clear. I don't believe it will be an issue but looking for some feedback.
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 8 2018, 03:06 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 8 2018, 01:54 PM) *

@bbrock quick question as you recently did this.. I read you can top coat epoxy within 5 days without scuffing. That said was thinking I might be able to spray surfacer on yet this evening. Never sprayed that quickly unless going sealer/base/clear. I don't believe it will be an issue but looking for some feedback.

I wouldn't think it would be an issue. I used PPG DPLF epoxy and the recoat time is 15 minutes and the time to topcoat is 60 minutes for 1 coat and 90 minutes for 2 coats. Unless the spec sheet on your paint says different, I'd think you would be good to go. thumb3d.gif
mb911
Well just sprayed buildable/sandable and sprayed out nice so we are all set.. I only sprayed on areas that will be externally seen and any spots that need attention.. Wet sanding /block will begine this week..
rktmn247
Looks great. You're really making progress!
mb911
Sprayed final coat of seam sealer. I used upol this time instead of monstaliner only becuase it was available locally. Upol/raptor is more runny then monstaliner but much more tame smell wise. I did find out that my local paint store actually rents the real deal sealer gun made by SEM. Too late though .

Now just a little sanding and then sealer and color. Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
Sweet! This is looking fine Ben!
mb911
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Dec 10 2018, 02:12 PM) *

Sweet! This is looking fine Ben!

Thanks @TravisNeff allot of work to this point.. Moving towards the back of the car.. Will get steering rack in soon and then able to move the car around so I can get the engine bay done next..
Cairo94507
Terrific progress and work. Quite a step forward at this point on a build. beerchug.gif
bbrock
Looks good! Nice little trick Kent came up with there.
mb911
@Cairo94507 @bbrock thanks so much. Both of you have amazing projects going as well. I am thankful this Frankenstein will be closer to a roller shortly
mb911
Spent a couple hours out there tonight.. We have some color.. Frunk and cowl are painted. Turned out pretty nice.. Click to view attachment
Dion
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 15 2018, 06:43 PM) *

Spent a couple hours out there tonight.. We have some color.. Frunk and cowl are painted. Turned out pretty nice.. Click to view attachment

Oooh man! Colour! cheer.gif awesome Ben.
That looks great. Tangerine? I wasn’t sure what colour you decided on.
Nice milestone fer sure.
mb911
Saturn red which I think is very close to tangerine.
bbrock
Gorgeous! It looks fast!
sixnotfour
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
mb911
@bbrock in the middle of painting I thought of you and remembered to take off the masking tape from the vin so I could clear over it..
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 15 2018, 08:23 PM) *

@bbrock in the middle of painting I thought of you and remembered to take off the masking tape from the vin so I could clear over it..

lol-2.gif
mb911
I thought you would like that.. Went and did a quick inspection this morning.. I am light on color in a few spots underneath the the headlight motors.. Shouldn't be an issue though.
Tdskip
Wow Ben!
mb911
Thanks.. Allot of work since the beginning.. Just to revisit the beginning. Click to view attachment
burton73
Ben,

Great color. You have come a very long way on this boy.

Bob B
mb911
Thanks @burton73 it is not near as nice as the one Eric is doing for you but looks respectable..
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 16 2018, 09:16 PM) *

Thanks @burton73 it is not near as nice as the one Eric is doing for you but looks respectable..

It will still probably be in the top 1% of great looking 914's. Bob's will just happen to be in the top .1%.
Cairo94507
Congratulations Ben. That looks terrific. I would swear, from the picture, it was Tangerine too. beerchug.gif
David Billo
Ben, I did not pay much attention to your door braces until now, when you posted that "before" pic, and I thought maybe they were designed to allow the doors to be bolted on. Going back to the start of this thread, however, it seems you had to cut them off to put the doors on.
mb911
QUOTE(David Billo @ Dec 18 2018, 05:41 AM) *

Ben, I did not pay much attention to your door braces until now, when you posted that "before" pic, and I thought maybe they were designed to allow the doors to be bolted on. Going back to the start of this thread, however, it seems you had to cut them off to put the doors on.

Yes that's correct..
mb911
1st time in 3 years its really on the ground.. Suspension all has to be tightened and a home alignment as well but it's on the ground and movableClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
defianty
Looking great Ben. It must feel great to have it back on its wheels.
bbrock
Amazing how exciting this is to me, I can only imagine how thrilled you must be. What a great milestone!!! I hope to be there in 2-3 months. piratenanner.gif
mb911
Funny thing is everyone that I just have this urge to clean the shop.. More so then anything..
Dion
Bravo!!! Bellissimo!!!
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 18 2018, 03:50 PM) *

Funny thing is everyone that I just have this urge to clean the shop.. More so then anything..

Make the wife happy. I spent a good part of my day wearing a respirator, face shield and leather gloves. Much easier to do this now that it’s cool outside.
mb911
I hear you on that..
TravisNeff
yes Yes YES! smilie_pokal.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 18 2018, 12:50 PM) *

I would take a photo of my garage, but I don't want to give anyone a heart attack so close to X-mas.

I'll hopefully get some time to clean up over the holidays when I'm 'working from home' next week biggrin.gif

BTW mb911, your car is looking great. I may do something similar with the sound deadening on my car, since the insides are bare metal now.
mb911
Anyone spot my spare tire/fuel pump mount?
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 18 2018, 05:14 PM) *

Make the wife happy. I spent a good part of my day wearing a respirator, face shield and leather gloves. Much easier to do this now that it’s cool outside.

Do I spy with my little eye a BMW motorcycle?

Ben - this thread has been, literally, epic. In a good way.
mb911
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 19 2018, 03:48 PM) *

You might be seeing Marks in the picture he posted of his garage.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 19 2018, 07:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 19 2018, 03:48 PM) *

You might be seeing Marks in the picture he posted of his garage.

Yea, it was my hyjack.
914forme
Yes I spied a mount, car is looking good, a project mile stone.
Tdskip
Ben - any lessons learned to pass along based on all of the work so far?
JmuRiz
I'm leaning towards using that sound deadener in my interior (since I stripped the floor tar to check for rust...none found!, and took out he engine bay pad).

How did you like working with the product you used? Any tips for rollers to use etc?
bbrock
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 20 2018, 07:40 AM) *

I'm leaning towards using that sound deadener in my interior (since I stripped the floor tar to check for rust...none found!, and took out he engine bay pad).

How did you like working with the product you used? Any tips for rollers to use etc?

I used the thicker version of that same Noico deadener and it is very easy to work with. You can cut it with scissors and it it is very pliable to form into all the crevices etc. You can buy a good metal roller on Amazon for about $10. Noico has their own that looks like a good design. I made the mistake of not buying one because I figured I could pick up one of those wooden wallpaper seam rollers locally. I learned that I'm old and those seam rollers are not cheap Chinese plastic. It worked but the roller edge is sharp so you have to be careful or it will cut through the foil on the deadener. They are also flimsy so I broke the first one toward the end of he install and had to buy another. Better to order a good roller when you order the deadener. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 20 2018, 06:51 AM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 20 2018, 07:40 AM) *

I used the thicker version of that same Noico deadener and it is very easy to work with. You can cut it with scissors and it it is very pliable to form into all the crevices etc. You can buy a good metal roller on Amazon for about $10. Noico has their own that looks like a good design. I made the mistake of not buying one because I figured I could pick up one of those wooden wallpaper seam rollers locally. I learned that I'm old and those seam rollers are not cheap Chinese plastic. It worked but the roller edge is sharp so you have to be careful or it will cut through the foil on the deadener. They are also flimsy so I broke the first one toward the end of he install and had to buy another. Better to order a good roller when you order the deadener. beerchug.gif

I actually used the rubber/foam block sanding block for mine..

And @tdskip here are a few thoughts.

I feel that I am good with allot of different aspects of restoration of cars but by no means an expert in all areas

I can paint fairly well
Build engines as I did that in a former life
Fab and weld (my profession)

That said the car I fixed would have been scrapped by 99% of the folks on this board.. It is a frankenstein made from Mark, tygaboy,and my cars . My biggest suggestion is find a car as rust free as possible. If you find one with rust learn to weld 1st.. Now learning to weld is not a 5 minute job . it takes hours. My students take on average 90 hours of real weld time before they are ready to weld things correctly. Most body shops don't even weld correctly and the icar certs are an absolute joke so keep that in mind. Then start repair of the car. I feel very strongly that most of the cars people scrap should be saved. People like @mcmark are fully of capable of fixing these cars and we should be saving them.

Other then that take your time.. Lots of time

Keep in mind in my 3 years I also developed 12 914 specific parts so that did take time from the build..

restore2seater
That said the car I fixed would have been scrapped by 99% of the folks on this board.. It is a frankenstein made from Mark, tygaboy,and my cars . My biggest suggestion is find a car as rust free as possible. If you find one with rust learn to weld 1st.. Now learning to weld is not a 5 minute job . it takes hours. My students take on average 90 hours of real weld time before they are ready to weld things correctly. Most body shops don't even weld correctly and the icar certs are an absolute joke so keep that in mind. Then start repair of the car. I feel very strongly that most of the cars people scrap should be saved. People like @mcmark are fully of capable of fixing these cars and we should be saving them.

Thought that might be a typo at first. Did a google search. I - CAR
I kind of have the same feeling towards SAE certifications. Just cause you can pass a test doesn't make you a good mechanic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.